I'm still here...just got out of the hospital

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
It has been a week from Hates....last wednesday we were at our camp and I got serious stomach pain along w/throwing up and diaharrea. I thought it was food poisoning, but the stomach pain was so terrible. Ended up going to the ER up by our camp....it was my appendix....they take it out (using a scope) 3 small incisions and send me home that day...we go back to camp for the night since home is 2 hrs away and I'm not up for the ride. The next moring, we go home, I get off the couch and blood starts spurting from one of the incisions. We thought I had tore it open, but that wasn't the case, the incision was still closed. The Dr had not clamped off the appendix good and nicked an artery and I was full of blood. Lost 3 liters. Went in for emergency surgery on Thursday night and finally get out of hospitial and home today. I have 40 staples and am black and blue from my rib cage to my pelvis. Going to be off work for 6 weeks.

Hubby is not doing well taking care of the animals. I do all the animal work and I can get everything done very quickly when needed (1 hr a day)...it takes him about 2-3 and he is very stressed. He won't let me call the petsitter to help because we are going to need the money since I will be off work so long. I feel so bad for him, but I can't help at all, at least not for a couple days. Tonight, Merlin (one of the minis) isn't up to par, he tells me he's been rolling. I tell him to call vet, he goes back down there and says he's up and seems fine, was drinking and following him around. I want him to call the petsitter to come out (she is a vettech) just to look him over to see if he needs the vet since Doug really doesn't know. I can't even walk down to the barn to see for my self. He came in the house just a few mins ago all stressed out and went out to take some hay from the storage shed to the barn. I told him I was calling Amy (petsitter) to help out, but he refuses. I know she won't take any money from me right now, I can pay her later, but he still refuses. It's like he's throwing in the towel if I call her. I'm so frustrated and can't do a thing about it. I'm going to try to walk down to the barn and check Merlin out for myself, Dr said I need to walk alittle anyhow.

Thanks for listening, just venting, I think this is worse for Doug than it is for me (although I am in alot of pain)...it's going to be a rough couple weeks...send prayers please...

Oh man!!!
no.gif
You poor thing!! I have had the incision from rib cage to pelvis too and walking around hurts but it helps in the long run. If you could gimp down to the barn and have a look and maybe give some instructions it might help hubby out and lower the stress level. I wish he would let you call the petsitter, that would definately be good!! Good luck!!

Oh my, you have had it done badly. Sending calming healing thoguhts for you both and lots of prayers. Look hubby in the eye and say, "I love you so much and I can't tell you how much your helping means to me."

THEN call the petsitter while he's out. Explain to the petsitter how sensitive he is, ask her to just stop by to say HI and see how YOU are doing. THEN she can offer her help and you guys can work out the payment things at a better date and time.

I can totally empathize as I am the sole caretaker here also. God love him for trying so hard but for both your peace...make the call. Sometimes we have to go on the sly to save each other. This may be one of those times. MY thoughts and best prayers are with you.

OMG what a bad experience you've had hope things improve PDQ for you. l would also sneak in a call to the petsitter to see if she could manage a little drop in visit just to ease the old mind not saying husbands don't try but it never hurts to get a second opinion when you can't see for yourself.

Oh hang in there! Life sounds pretty rough. First of all I pray you heal up well. Next I pray that hubby will allow you some help. It won't do any good if one of your guys is sick. Best wishes,

Oh, Sonya, I'm so sorry to hear things are so wrong for you just now! Those scope surgeries are wonderful when they go right, very bad when the doctor messes up. Sometimes the old fashioned way--bigger incision, no scope--is better, but I know they don't give a choice. On the bright side, you are home, not in ICU in critical condition fighting for your life as has happened with a couple of gallbladder surgeries locally.

If you can walk down & check on Merlin, you'll feel better--and hopefully Merlin really is okay. Just be very very careful!

If there's no way to sneak the petsitter into the picture here, is there anything that Doug can let go? There's nights here when things go wrong & I just don't get all the sheds cleaned--I stress over it at the time, but then when I play catch up the next day, it really doesn't take a whole lot longer to clean, nor is there a whole lot more to take out...the horses don't suffer for my missing one night of cleaning. Often there are little fussy things that you do that maybe don't HAVE to be done, and in this case Doug might be a bit less stressed if he doesn't feel he has to do everything exactly as you do? I have no idea of your routine so cannot say, but maybe?

Anyway, I hope you're soon feeling better & things get back to normal for you all!

Take care.

I'm sending you prayers and I hope you recover soon.

I agree with everyone that says to make the call on the sly. Don't let things stress you any more than necessary. Your husband will get over it, and your horses will be safer.

Wishing you ALL the best!

Your hubby is one very proud puppy! I'd still call your pet sitter when he isn't around and ask her to "drop by"..... How is you STRESSING helping you get better????

Please take care,

MA

Wow, sound pretty rough. I hope you recover from this as quickly as possible.

Listen to all of us...it sounds like we have all been there before. I will add my two cents...call the pet sitter and have her come by when he is at work to clean stalls or whatever it takes to lighten hubby's load then tell him a friend did it so it was free. Pay the sitter later.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

On another note...I hope your recovery is quick. I need gall bladder surgery but have put it off for one year (I know, it will catch up to me) because of what will happen around here if I can't move for even a couple days (kids, pets, horses, etc.). My hubby works out of town all week and someone has to do it all when he is gone.
wacko.gif

Sonja I know this feeling oh so well!

When I was in a wreck and brought home I had to stay in bed I was all broken in many places and I was literally helpless and at everyone's mercy around here to even help me get up and down to the bathroom! The men here had NOTHING under control with the horses at all and I was besides myself like you were. They were really trying but with me harping on every little thing they were just ready to shove a sock in my mouth to shut me up !

You are probably supposed to take just little walks but not big ones to the barn!!!!! So you have to be careful will you PLEASE? You can slip and fall and then what????

If you are like me you will not rest until you know that someone that knows something has looked over your horses............so...........

If I were you I would call the sitter and ask her to come over but tell her not to say that you called her! Just be sneaky and have her "just drop in" and I think the Good Lord will forgive you.

I know how bad you are hurting and how bad that pain is so I am sending you possitive thoughts and lots of prayers that things will settle down in place.

Good thoughts coming your way. I sure hope it gets better fast. I've got a scar from when my appendix was removed during the intestinal surgery when I was 2 days old (after being born c-section, 2 months and a week early to boot!)... I imagine the incisions you have are alot smaller.

I can't tell you not to go check your horses without being a hypocrit, since I was trying to do most the house work, baby care, etc after I brought Nathan home and was supposed to be recovering from the c-section. All I can say is if you DO go down to the barn and check the horses, take it slow and easy and don't push too hard!

Be careful, and lots of luck getting better quickly! I hope nothing else pops up- sounds like you've already had a doozy of a time.

Oh my gosh! Sonja, that is so scary about the bleeding and how much blood you lost!!!!!

For taking care of the horses, just until you are better, is there a way you can just let them be outside and feed them hay and grain outside, even if your husband puts the grain on top of piles of hay separated? As long as it's not bad weather, the horses would be okay without shelter for awhile.

I feel bad for you trying to recover and feeling bad for your husband and worrying about the horses.

Sounds to me like your hubby could use some help, I think I'd call your your pet sitter to help out for awhile.

Hope your feeling better soon!
smile.gif
Take care...

Sonya, please take it easy and take care of yourself!! I'm sorry you had to go through all this.
wub.gif
Be careful and don't try to do too much. Hopefully, the pet sitter can drop in occasionally while you're recuperating to help out.

Hi Sonya,

Wow so sorry to hear you've been so sick. I wish you a speedy recovery and prayers that your hubby will let the petsitter help out. Please get your rest and get better soon!

Shirley

Oh Sonya,

I'm so sorry you feel like poo!
unsure.gif
What a horrable thing to have happen on what was supost to be a fun trip. I really like Martys advice about calling the pet sitter and having her "Drop By" . That may be a big help to you with the whole stressing out thing!

I'll send prayers to you and your family! I really hope you take the time out your body needs and relax alittle bit. (((((((((BIG hugs)))))))))

I wish I was closer! I'd be there in a heart beat!

Hope you feel better soon,

Leya

Thanks everyone for the prayers and good thoughts. Today is better for Doug. I ended up going down to the barn last night, sat in a chair and taught him how to take temp and listen to gut sounds w/stethascope (then he listened for my gut sounds, hehehehe - my intenstines ended up shutting down after the surgery and just woke up yesterday, I haven't been able to eat or drink since thursday until yesterday)...I showed him where the banamine was and explained colic more and other signs. Merlin was fine - I think he may have had a touch of colic, but seemed ok by the time I got down there, he is fine this AM. I tried to show Doug these things before, just because, but he wasn't interested, now he has to listen. He is doing a good job at the barn (not as clean as when I do it), but he's doing very well. The horses need a good brushing, but they'll be ok for a few days. The house is a mess and that bugs me (not a mess, but not perfect how I like it), he is doing a good job.

I woke Doug up a few times last night, just couldn't get comfortable in the bed, we ended up putting me in the recliner and I slept the rest of the night there and he slept on the cough. I wish I could fast forward 2 weeks and be able to do more. This just sucks! I am so bloated from the CO2 they pumped in me and I just can't even force myself to eat or drink. On the upside, I lost 20lbs since last wednesday. Just can't lose anymore. Doug is making me some eggs for breakfast and am going to try to eat some of those. Thank heavens my gut started working yesterday or they were going to tube me and schedule me for another surgery. 3 surgeries in 6 days, don't think my lazy out of shape body could of handled it. Won't be posting much, but will when I can...thanks everyone.

We're thinking of you and praying for a quick, non-eventful recovery. Try not to sweat the small stuff (I know, easier said than done). Horse grooming and house keeping will all be there for you when you are back on your feet. It sounds like hubby is getting the hang of barn chores.

What a frightening, and painful, thing to go through. So glad you are OK.

My thoughts are with you Sonya!!! I know your pain, those stomach incisions are the worst pain I've ever had and had to do it TWICE. I hope NEVER again.

Hoping that all goes well for your hubby taking care of the horses. What a trooper he is!!! You are lucky to have one like him! Don't worry about the mess in the house, just concentrate on healing, thinking positive thoughts.

My stomach is hurting just thinking of you! I remember the worst pain came from my husband making me laugh
new_shocked.gif
He was trying to relax me! LOL!! OUCH!
wacko.gif
Good luck! Speedy recovery!
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back