I'M HOOKED!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
Well, i'm hooked!

My husband and i went to the local market a month ago and there was a miniature farm owner there showing off his beautiful babies. My husband was drawn to them, while i was saying 'I'd rather have a big horse' as i used to own 2 full sized horses many years ago.

After chatting with the owners, i decided it was time to actually touch one of them. HOOKED!!! It happened that quickly! That one stroke of little 'Bailey' who was 5 weeks old at the time and i was in love.

We took their business card and for the next week or so i couldnt stop thinking about this little guy. I started to do research on the net about mini horses. I couldn't sleep at night! I emailed the owner and discovered that little Bailey was way too expensive. It was money we didn't have. We have a house that is need of renovations etc. Having a mini horse also meant spending money on fencing.

I hate it when my heart rules my head. My husband is much more sensible even though he loved Bailey too. It was killing me. The owners asked us to come and visit their farm which was just down the road. So, away we went. Another big mistake cause now i got to play with Bailey and the other foals, although Bailey was the only foal that really captured my heart. (Why do they do that!!!!!!!?) They offered Bailey to us at a much more reasonable price now that they could see that he would be coming to a loving home.

To cut a long story short, we will be Bailey's new owners at the end of February!!! My darling husband has given up the money that we had put aside to build his long awaited garage/workshop to buy Bailey and build the fencing and shelter! What a wonderful husband although i did put on my best Academy award winning performance for weeks on end!

I will post photos once i figure out how to do it. This is a fabulous forum and i'm so glad i found it. You are a great group of mini lovers.

:aktion033: Welcome to the wonderful world of miniature horses and to the forum. You couldn't come to a better place to learn more about minis. The people here are great and a wonderful resource. When you get Bailey be sure to post some photos, we all love looking at pictures and never get tired of it :bgrin Where are you located? I am in Ontario, Canada. Good luck with your new baby
default_wub.png
:

Yvonne

wow welcome to the wonderful world of minis, you wont be dissapointed, but there is some bad news

there like potato chips you cant just stop at one lol :lol:

welcome to the forum from IRELAND :saludando: this forum will be just as addictive as the horses, so tell your hubby he may not see much of you :bgrin lol

cant wait for pictures of bailey
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_smile.png

edited to add TWISTER we posted at the same time lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations !! You are sooo going to love him ! I just started in mini's myself, it started in August with going to look for "one". I now have four !! :bgrin No more for me though , four is just right !

Yep, they sure are addictive! I call myself the mini junkie! Never been hooked on anything in life like these little horses!
default_yes.gif
: Mary

[SIZE=12pt]Congratulation on Bailey! :aktion033: Now you just have to find him a buddy!
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin [/SIZE]

Bill

Congratulations. You will NEVER look back now.

...and there are angels in the world. The same thing happened to me with my soulmate "Ozy". He was WAYYYYYYY more horse than I could have ever dreamed of but for some reason...some how...his breeders sold him to me for a price I could afford. I bought a filly at the same time (who was the reason I was then broke hehehe) and I adore her and will own and treasure her forever. But the bond I have with Ozy is like no bond I've ever had before with an animal of any kind.

There are angels.

Congrats and welcome. :saludando:

Wow, what prompt responses to my post!!! That's fabulous.

Just for everyone's info, my hubby and i are living in Australia,(my husband moved here from Canada 3 years ago) just west of Melbourne on a one acre country property. Not big enough for lots of mini's, but perhaps a buddy for Bailey down the track. I hate to think that he will be leaving behind all of his friends and then be alone at my place! What are everyone thoughts on this? Does anyone just have one mini or is that impossible!!!!?

Here is a picture of my little baby- Bailey.

th_bailey.jpg

He's with my husband.

Pretty special hey? Although i bet thats what everyone says about their horses!

Congradulations on getting your little guy, but I must warn you they are kinda like potatoe chips. You can't eat one potatoe chip or have just one mini. Good luck and have fun with him.

:saludando:

hahaha I see my Mini-pusher right now visiting this topic! Your story sounds very near to mine when I got my first mini, Alladdin. Now have six.
default_smile.png
They are very wonderful and yes, VERY addictive! Congratulations on Bailey, you will love him to the ends of the earth, I am sure!

"Congratulations!" on getting your first mini-Bailey is just a handsome little man!! You are going to just LOVE having that little guy! I'm glad you have found the LB Forum - there is so much good info on here which I'm sure you have already found out.

I do think Bailey will be lonesome all by himself and it would be great if you could get Bailey some kind of buddy.

See what these little horses are doing to me!!!

It's my 1st day back at work and I've done very little other than playing around on this forum and looking at web sites on mini's!!!!!!

My hubby is going to be building (he's a carpenter) a shelter for Bailey, before he arrives home. We will make it big enough to accomodate another mini, as i'm sure thats what will happen! This shelter will end up looking like a castle knowing my hubby. I did warn him that there is a chance that Bailey won't even go in it!! I'll post a photo once it's built.

I guess we are pretty lucky where we live in Australia, no snow!! We have lots of trees on our property too, to keep him shaded from the heat as it can get quite warm here too. How do those little horses cope in the snow??? I guess they grow extra woolley coats???

Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on the new little love of your life!

Your sound just like me! They grab your heart and don't let go!
default_wub.png
:

He is a cutie!
default_yes.gif
:

I agree that he will need a buddy. Maybe a goat or sheep until you can get a mini horse friend for him.

There's nothing in the world like mini horses!!! *happy sigh*

Congratulations, and a big welcome to you from Arkansas, USA! Your little Bailey is such a cutie! Glad you found us!

~Karen

:saludando: Welcome from AZ USA and they are right, you can't have just one...

and if you can stop at two you are a better man than I - we have 6 mini mares, 10 mini donkeys and 2 mini mules (one just born here) - and my daughter has a mini stud as well.

Hey Neighbor! Welcome to the forum from New Zealand. I started with one mini too,... said thats it, one is enough for me.... sure enough, she is going to have a baby this year and Im planning on buying another!

Its crazy isnt it? Ive had big horses most of my life ( Im 16) and have never felt this passionate about horses as I do about my little ones. I know exactly what you mean about not being able to sleep for thinking and dreaming about them... Its such a great thing to be involved with.

Congratulations on Bailey, he is super cute.I Look forward to hearing about all the fun you will have with him.

Hi Maplegum

I too are from Australia - and like you, I started with one mini and then about 4 mths later, got Bobby a pal. We have just over 1 and a quarter acres - and yes, Bailey will be happier with a pal to hang with. I now have Bobby and Tilly - and they are inseparable. Good luck with everything- Bailey looks very very cute.

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you from?

Regards, Kerrie

Welcome to the Forum from sunny England- no snow, just wind and rain and YUK!!!

I have MUD- I do not DO mud!!!

Icky.

Anyway, he is going to be very lonely on his own, not a good idea at all- see if the Farm has a weanling they can loan you til you get something worked out.

Maybe they have a "pet" colt??

I know people have goats as companions but I do not like it at all- I have had goats and they do not speak "horse" so it would be a last resort.

Goats are also a lot harder to fence in than horses and Pygmy Goats are a NIGHTMARE to fence as they can get through a cat-flap (and will, and do!!)

Lots of fun, Yes, cute, definitely BUT not for the faint hearted.

You really do need another horse, horses are herd animals and although older animals adapt, a weaned foal on his own is often a really tragic sight.

Take the time, now, before you have the problems, to work out what you will do if and when you encounter them

Back