I'm devastated and heartbroken

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cousin lost 5 mini donkies this yr due to lighting. Instead of running to the run in, they ran under a tree and the tree was hit.

Holding you in the Light.

Lildrummer

I'm so sorry you have lost your beloved horses.

I've been afraid of the same thing happening. The lightening this year has been really bad.

Many years ago I was showing a gelding that belonged to someone else. I LOVED that boy. He would jump the moon for me. I could no longer ride at the barn he was at. I asked the owner if I could buy him. He put a hefty price on him at the time, but a year later called me and told me if I wanted him I could have him. I was OVERJOYED. I was working out the arrangements and got a call that he had been struck by lightening in his stall. Apparently, there was a tree beside his stall. He had a halter on and they think the lightening went through the tree and through him(metal on halter?? who knows??) I was devestated. I've never gotten over it. I always think if the owner had called me just a week earlier he would have been ok.

Kim

I am so sorry, I know there are not words to express the way that you feel.

I know this because when we first got into miniatures in 1979, we had our entire herd wiped out by lightning. We lost our stallion and 6 mares when lightning hit a tree they were all under. The barn was open but they had opted to stand under the tree instead. We went several years without minis because we just couldn't stand the thought of something happening to them.

Mary

oh my goodness
default_sad.png
last night there was a storm here, it was no where as bad as your storm, im so sorry for your loss
default_sad.png

I'm so sorry.......always worries me when the horses are out in lightening, but you never really expect it to happen. Judging by the many stories everyone relates, it does happen quite a lot. We knew someone who lost a herd of cattle, all standing under a big tree that was hit.
default_no.gif

Jan

Oh how awful, I'm so very sorry for your loss!
default_sad.png

default_no.gif
I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like they were both two wonderful horses.

((hugs))
default_new_shocked.gif
Thinking of you in your time of need
default_pray.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
How very sad. What a terrible event.

I have always worried about our horses being out in a storm, especially if wearing a halter with metal on it.

I have heard of this before, and a storm can just come up with very little warning and the "deed is done"

Don't be too hard on yourself, it was a terrible accident.

Thank you all for your kind words and sympathy.

I had to force myself to go out and chore this morning and could just barely get the job done. Looking out towards the barn is so hard because I could see them in their pastures from the house and now they are not there anymore. Stormy's mom keeps calling for her. She is running around like crazy whinning constantly.

Thanks again this forum is the best.

I'm late reading the post....
default_no.gif
. I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY for your loss...... I would be so devistated and sadened by such a horrible loss...... My prayers are with you!

I am sorry that you lost your two beloved horses. Bless you!

I am so sorry to hear of your loss
default_no.gif
Lightning terrifies me. We have a lot of it around us, a stallion and his donkey companion were hit just behind us, and last year the house directly behind us was struck and burnt to the ground, we saw the whole thing, from the strike to the end. After that we had lightning rods installed on the house and barn, but I still get paranoid about leaving the doors open during a storm, the weather is just so unpredictable
default_no.gif
. I will keep you in my thoughts, and once again, so sorry for your devastating loss.

Latest posts

Back