If you won the lotto....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would start a foundation to support a variety of organizations and individuals striving to make a difference in the world. The mission of this foundation would be to fund those who dare to think beyond what most investors are willing to back. Animal rescues, education and arts organizations would top my list, along with inventors, business visionaries and public servants who actually believe in serving people.

For us, I would purchase acreage with a small but comfy craftsman cabin perched high on the headlands overlooking the Oregon coast, surrounded by century old firs. People could visit the beach, of course, as that is an Oregon legacy, but its protected cove would enable us to let the horses and dogs romp in the surf. The house would be built just for us with absolutely no concessions to resale, with floor-to-ceiling bookcases, music rooms and comfy seating areas, all with vast windows and views of the Pacific Ocean. In one secluded location perched high on the rocky cliffs, I'd have a fully-plumbed double-ended clawfoot tub where we could enjoy the mist and rain from the comfort of a hot bath.

The barn would be snug and dry, with stalls and a large run-in, which my horses prefer, plus a variety of indoor/outdoor lounge areas so we can hang with the horses. The horses, of course, would be kept safely away from any promontories with a state-of-the-art, invisible fence.We would have an indoor driving arena and enough trails throughout the woods and fields to host our own CDEs and ADTs, and a cart-worthy switchback trail winding gradually down to the ocean for beach drives. While our house would be small and private, assorted guest cabins would welcome family and friends coming to visit (or live if they needed a place to stay).

But no bunkers for me. If the SHTF and the earth's beauty is destroyed, I'd choose to go as well. Life in a post-apocalyptic nightmare does not appeal to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would pay off my bills and go back to NW Oregon!

Need that bunker around here.... to many gun using/shooting, I don't care about anyone else people in the area. (yes there are a few great people... but the nutters out number them) :p

But I still prefer to go back to Oregon.

Since I am here, and live in a tissue paper house ..aka not well built. I would like one of those Concrete bunkers to run into when we have Tornado's and hurricanes.
Weather here can be violent and extreme.

Also a Genny and a couple of wood stoves. That way my family would stay safe and warm.

OK... and finish fencing the property...and have a nice Dutch barn with water and power for the animals.

But if I won enough money, I couldn't ditch this place and state fast enough!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy several old buildings in our dilapidated downtown and restore them. I love history, architecture and remodeling as long as I'm not living there while it's going on.
default_wink.png

I would find the land that is right for us. I would move in a log mobile home for immediate living quarters. I would build a storm cellar. The mobile home would be future guest home for family and friends. I would construct a metal building that had a sleeping loft, a bathroom, a huge storage and clothes closet, put 4-5 freezers in it, a nice kitchen area, and a humongous dining table. I would purchase lots of metal chairs and tables for gatherings/meals in the metal building/future mancave/gathering hall and then I would build the home that suits us. The only time I have ever moved into a brand new home was when I was 10 years old. I so want a home that has toilets that nobody has ever sat on before me. The perfect home would have an exercise room and a sunroom. A sauna and a massage table and a hot tub to boot! It does not have to be huge or elaborate. It just needs to suit me and my desires. The happiest I ever was when we lived in a one bedroom stucco house in the mountains that had a front deck to observe the stars off of, two gas heaters in the wall that tick, tick, ticked during the cold nights, a perfect garden plot, a quiet room to study in, and some friendly spirits that obviously approved of our presence. It used to be a schoolhouse in the 1920's. Hopefully we would get to do some traveling and exploring. If I did not have to think so much about paying bills, I would probably lose myself on the mountain trails, whether it be on foot or on the back of a dependable mule or horse. I would also float down the rivers and streams in an inner tube a lot just enjoying nature and camp a lot in a state of the art motor home.

Latest posts

Back