Icelandic horse shopping saga

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
Well, I went to go see that Icelandic mare today.

Of course it dumped rain the whole time and soaked me through to the skin.

Sigh ~~ So ended up not riding as long as planned.

Nice mare, well put together 13 hands, seems to be smooth.

Very green but seems to be well started and a little more narrow in the body than I am used too. The price is outstandingly great.

She did spook at a truck coming down the road. Got a good start but turned her around to look at it..and it was ok. She wasn't worried at all once she got a good look at it, which is nice.

Had the owners dogs bouncing all over and dogs we rode by and this mare did not care.

She will need a little finish training and miles. Seems to have a good mind.

I honestly do not think I am going to find better.

There is one other mare way over priced, much much older, that has miles. But I would never be able to ride in a Treeless saddle...her conformation is a nightmare.

Think I will give this mare a try. If it doesn't work out she has good enough blood lines and conformation she would not be hard to sell.

Also have my silly grey mare as a fall back horse.

Sounds great! Will they let you do a 30 day trial on her? What color is she?

Oh come on, don't tell me you didn't bring us any pictures ???

Well she sounds like she's going to be fine and just needs some milage.

Could this really be "the one?"

Sounds like it. So, what's her name and what does she look like??????????

Shari,

She sounds like she has the common sense that makes up for at least some of the lacking miles...and you have the experience to take her the rest of the way. After all of the others you've seen, she sounds like a good one. With what you say about her bloodlines, mind and reasonable price, it sounds as if any risk would be minimal.

I hope your quest has come to an end!

susanne

Last edited by a moderator:
Her name is Teista and she is black but tends to fade. There is no 30 days on her because of her price being so low.

No pictures as of yet...still kind'a thinking.

Mainly because I saw a wonderful Looking 4 year old there that was to die for. Of course she isn't even started.

Oh Bother..

Teista seems like a good girl, with a good mind. Only thing is she is much more narrow in the body than I am used too.

Been riding such wide horses so long it feels a little strange. Though I am pretty sure I could get used to it in time.

Also major scared I will make an mistake again.

You're one smart cookie. I love the way your mind thinks and you don't rush into anything without weighing it all out.

I think you'll know that when it feels right, then you'll make your move and not until.

That is great that you have finally found a horse you think might work for you. I agree you are being very smart about buying another horse, I'm sure you'll come out with the perfect one when it is all said and done. Please keep us posted
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks everyone... I so want to make sure I make the right choice. Is very important.

Am glad I have folks here I can mull it over with.

The 4 year Icelandic mare that is outstanding.

So now I am back to which one. Granted she isn't started but she is super sweet and has a much better back than Teista.

So I am mulling it over as to which way to go.

Only problem I have with Teista is her shoulders and body are narrow and the saddle I have anyway..tends to side onto her neck when going down hill.

All I have is hills to ride.

Really want a well started horse but I am just not finding them. And as hubby said, no one seems to train the way I do, there are always pretty big training holes in even the older horses. At least the ones I have seen in the past.

Frey is the 4 year old, she came up to me a few times to say hi. Then when the owner was taking them back to their pasture loose, everyone else charged by and she stopped next to me to say Hi again.

This is why I am having a problem to decided between the two.

Teista is cheaper by $1,500. She has 60 days under saddle.

But the money doesn't matter as much as finding the right temperament and click so to speak.

Frey has a better back and shoulders and would hold a saddle better.

Guess I will be going back up there to make sure.

This is Frey

MVC-006F.jpg

This is Teista, though Teista is in full winter coat and looks better than this in person.

Teista3-13-06.jpg

Shari, I just have to ask: does it have to be icelandic?

Are you at all open to other breeds that might have nearly the same qualities that you are looking for in an Icelandic?

Possibly if you open yourself up a bit more to other breeds, you can maybe find something that matches all of your criteria.

Thanks everyone... I so want to make sure I make the right choice. Is very important.

Am glad I have folks here I can mull it over with.

The 4 year Icelandic mare that is outstanding.

So now I am back to which one. Granted she isn't started but she is super sweet and has a much better back than Teista.

So I am mulling it over as to which way to go.

Only problem I have with Teista is her shoulders and body are narrow and the saddle I have anyway..tends to side onto her neck when going down hill.

All I have is hills to ride.

Really want a well started horse but I am just not finding them. And as hubby said, no one seems to train the way I do, there are always pretty big training holes in even the older horses. At least the ones I have seen in the past.

Frey is the 4 year old, she came up to me a few times to say hi. Then when the owner was taking them back to their pasture loose, everyone else charged by and she stopped next to me to say Hi again.

This is why I am having a problem to decided between the two.

Teista is cheaper by $1,500. She has 60 days under saddle.

But the money doesn't matter as much as finding the right temperament and click so to speak.

Frey has a better back and shoulders and would hold a saddle better.

Guess I will be going back up there to make sure.

This is Frey

MVC-006F.jpg

This is Teista, though Teista is in full winter coat and looks better than this in person.

Teista3-13-06.jpg
Hi i am on all the time hear but rarely post, just had to say GET FREY!
default_rolleyes.gif
: its obvious its the one you allready seem to love lol
default_wub.png
: when i got my girl i had gone to see another, but all i could talk about was my mare.... she picked me, seems like its the same for you
default_wink.png
:

Marty, yes, I have been looking at all breeds. But there are not a lot of gaited horses at all on this side of the country.

Finding a stout 13 +/- hand super smooth gaited horse in itself is hard to find.

Can't get my gimpy body on anything much taller.

Hi i am on all the time hear but rarely post, just had to say GET FREY!
default_rolleyes.gif
: its obvious its the one you allready seem to love lol
default_wub.png
: when i got my girl i had gone to see another, but all i could talk about was my mare.... she picked me, seems like its the same for you
default_wink.png
:

<LOL> I am starting to learn more towards her. There was just something about her that I like just a bit better than the others.
default_yes.gif
:

Back