I will be getting 2 rescues today in foal mare & a 4 month old colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mylilgirls

Reaction score
I couldnt sleep last night, they should be here early moring today. My mini Dollie, her old owner, has rescued a handful from a lady. The mare I wil be getting is in foal, she was bred 2 months after after having her last one... I know, I know
default_new_shocked.gif
this lady had a herd of 36 and she pulled the babies way to soon and bred them again. Thats why Dollie old owner is trying to get them out of there.. This mare that I am getting has started to founder or is showing some founder, she is alittle under weight. I will get all details as soon as she gets here. She was vet checked once she was removed from that place just days ago.

one of those things you get a call and yes I will do it, so I am sure I will be back on tonght with all detail & if I can I'll get some pic's.

She is also bringing me a 4 month old colt out of the same mess & he has bin off his monther for at least a couple of weeks, the mare is not his mom. He has bin vet check & shots and stuff were given and vet says he is in good health. Should I be giving him something extra since he was taken from his mom so early? aside from hay & feed?

I will be back on later, I need to go get the barn ready for the new commers
default_biggrin.png

Good luck with the horses and they are lucky that they are going to a better home. As for the colt just make sure you find some good youth feed for him.

it is wonderful you are able to help theses little ones!! can't wait to see pics

this is a very exciting day for you... and for the horses as well. keep us posted on their progress, and thank you for helping these little ones out..It breaks my heart that there are so many thoughtless and stupid people out there
default_no.gif
their ignorance costs the rest of us time , money and heartbreak, thank you for doing this .

Ohhh what a long hard hot day, They are here -

The mare, is a a good bit under weight, she was loaded wit worms, she is coverd in rain rot & is founder, walks very slow & her hooves are bad, The farrier came right out for me and she was very good, better then my others. He said she will be ok in the small field a few hours, so I will put her out when the others are in, I will put the lil colt out with her to.

I am a bit worried about them not drink much, but given all that they have bin through in the last 2 days and then a 2 hour ride to me, I will give some electro's to the tomorrow just to be safe. They are eating well feed, hay & limited grass, They can get enough it is such a sham.

I am still wondering if the colt is indeed 4 months old, we Me & the lady who rescued them feel he may be yonger. He has rain rot to. I will be giving baths tomorrow. He is such a love. I put a halter on him, just while i had him out ( I never leave halters on ) he let me put it on him but will not walk. Even though he does not belong to the mare her follows her, I do have them in ther own stall right next to one another, she has bin nasty while eating, so I think the safest way is to keep them apart but right near one another.

I did get pic's I wont have the time to upload and all that tonight, But I will get them up as soon as I can.

Thanks to alllll

Kudo's to you for taking them in.

Rescues are time consuming and spendy but normally well worth it. Giving a horse a good home is a wonderful thing.
default_wink.png

Good luck! If the mare is having an active case of founder and is in some pain, I would probably keep her on a dry lot.

Latest posts

Back