I want to test my Appy for HERDA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
I am on a few Appaloosa Yahoo email lists and I shared my blanket Appaloosa stud colt's pedigree with them and asked their advice on his lineage. I got several great replies. One thing was mentioned that I wanted to check in to. They said that with Poco Bueno in his pedigree, I needed to test for HERDA. They explained what HERDA was and I really appreciated the information.

But it did leave me with another question. (Or two.) One question is how much does the HERDA test cost? I'd like to have it done just in case I decide he is stallion material. The other question is...should I also test him for that HYPP ? (I don't know what that is, but I have seen it on a lot of horse websites.)

In case you wanted to check his pedigree to see if it's a test I need to do his pedigree is at All Breed Pedigree here Mr Sparkabull

I am thrilled with my colt. He's so willing and seemingly eager o learn whatever I want to teach him. I've never dealt with a horse that seems so very willing to follow me anywhere, through anything. I think fate stepped in and sent the perfect horse for me.
default_yes.gif

I didn't know they had isolated the gene yet for HERDA. What I have heard is that they make assumptions through pedigree and clinical signs and then a skin biopsy. Most horses that have it start showing signs when they are put under saddle.

HERDA un-like HYPP is recessive meaning you have to have both a sire and a dam both with the gene for it to be reproduced in the foal. I believe AQHA has some information about HERDA & HYPP on their website.

HYPP is only in the Impressive bloodline.

**sorry fixed errors, need to start typing with my glasses on I guess**

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'd ask your vet to see if there is a test for HERDA yet.

Also, if you go to the AQHA site and go to the General Glossary you can order the kit to test for HYPP if you would like to. But like sdmini said, HYPP is linked to the Impressive bloodlines. The reason why they're typed for HYPP if they have Impressive in their lines is to prevent H/H horses from being registered and bred. It would cost you $50 to get the sample tested for HYPP at UC Davis.

IMO, I wouldn't worry about HYPP with your colt since he doesn't have Impressive lines... I'd just call and ask your vet if there is a test for HERDA.

i'm not super knowlegeable about QH bloodlines but i do know that HYPP is only in the impressive lines. There is no impressive as far back as that pedigree show's so i would say no you don't need to have the test done and would probably be a waste of your money to do it.

To my knowledge, a HERDA test became available to to public in 2007. I *think* it costs around $70(?) An HYPP test is about $40 and has been around since '92.

I honestly know very little about stock horses, but Poco Bueno is the line to look for with HERDA, and Impressive is the line for HYPP.
default_smile.png

I have read up alot on HERDA and honestly I would not worry about your horse. The reason to check for HERDA would be if you had Poco Bueno several times in his lineage. He is not heavily bred Poco Bueno so no worries there. Like several others said HYPP is Impressive lines and there are none there so I would not waste your money on either test!! We love the Poco Bueno bloodlines and our horses are heavy foundation lines, yet still not enough for us to worry!!! So enjoy your colt!!!

I read on the AQHA website that the HERDA test was available. UC Davis does the test and if I read it right, it's $40.00 and they use hairs to test. Here's the link to it...

http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/horse.php

I knew the Impressive line carried the HYPP, but I didn't know if it had been in other lines as well. I seen on the Horsetopia forum that Poco Bueno's son Poco Pine was one of the offspring of Poco Bueno that had or carried HERDA, and Poco Pine is on Billy's pedigree. (My colt.) But Smutty Pine is a son of Poco Pine, so I don't know if his owners ever tested him or not to see if he may have gotten it from Poco Pine. Does anyone know where Poco Pine stands (if he's still alive) so I can see if they've tested him?

This is an article that someone put on the horsetopia forum about it the HERDA test.

CORNELL UNIVERSITY DEVELOPS TEST TO IDENTIFY CARRIERS OF DISEASE.

A DNA test for the autosomal recessive connective tissue disorder HERDA has been developed by genetics researchers at Cornell University and is now available to the public.

According to CU geneticist Nena Winand, D.V.M., Ph.D., the test unambiguously identifies normal, carrier and affected horses. Affected foals can be definitively identified at birth.

I want this to be used as a tool for breeders,†Winand said. “This test will enable us to manage this disease by testing for it and breeding intelligently.

HERDA (hereditary equine regional dermal asthenia) is a disease caused by a homozygous recessive gene. When expressed, it causes a collagen defect in the skin of affected horses resulting in a lack of adhesion in the deep layers of skin. Trauma to the skin results in skin wounds that don’t heal. Most affected horses have a poor quality of life and are typically euthanized.

As with tests for other genetic disorders, we hope being able to genetically test for HERDA will aid in the humane management of affected horses, and reduce the financial loss for breeders, Winand said.

The test can be used with hair or blood samples. Testing inquiries can be made to:

Nena Winand, D.V.M., Ph.D.

Department of Molecular Medicine

C4-140 VMC

College of Veterinary Medicine

Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-6401

Phone: (607) 253-3608

E-mail at: [email protected]

To my knowledge, a HERDA test became available to to public in 2007. I *think* it costs around $70(?) An HYPP test is about $40 and has been around since '92.

I honestly know very little about stock horses, but Poco Bueno is the line to look for with HERDA, and Impressive is the line for HYPP.
default_smile.png
Kaitlyn that sure could be. I no longer have any Poco Bueno bred horse so I have kinda quit following on it very closely. Growing up on a ranch we rode many Poco Bueno bred horses and never had one or known any one who had a horse with HERDA so it's not super common. Although it's not "just" a cutting horse problem that is where they have seen HERDA the most as the Poco Bueno line has been dominant for years in the cutting industry. I know at one time 14-15 of the top 100 lifetime money earner were confirmed to have HERDA.

They figure that the first HERDA carrier was a foundation horse by the name of Traveler. The HERDA gene might not made much of an impact but along came Poco Bueno who was a super horse of his time. Mega popular and his descendant were as well. The Poco Bueno/Doc Bar produced such super horses (Doc O'lena, Dry Doc among others) that those horses and descendants were a lot of times linebred back Poco Bueno. Remember it take two carriers to produce a horse with HERDA so each time they were linebred back Poco Bueno they increased the chances the odds of producing a HERDA horse.

(Poco Pine is, I'm sure, dead as he was born in the early 50's.)

As bad as HERDA is there still is no disputing the greatness of Poco Bueno, both as a horse and as a sire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say, my father in law had QH's and I never heard of HERDA! And his stallion was double bred Poco Bueno and looked just like him- no problems ever with him or his offspring. If it causes skin problems and sores that do not heal, wouldnt you notice already if your horse had it??

Its double recessive, meaning it must have two recessive genes. Yes, if you have a double recessive horse you WILL know, as soon as you put a saddle on it. Basically all the skin under the saddle will fall off and abcess. But, you can be heterozygous for it and not know. If you were to breed a heter and a homozygous animal together four times, one of those foals theoretically will be double recessive and show the disease. Two foals will be carriers, and one will be clean.

This is a "hidden disease"... historically the horses just "disappeared" as soon as they discovered the problem. That's why it took so long for this disease to come to light.

My colt wouldn't show it yet as he's only 10 months old right now. I think it's very strange that a disease so traumatic can be traced to only one horse like that. How can Poco Bueno be the creator and sole possessor of a disease like this? (other than his offspring)

We have another Appaloosa that comes from Impressive bloodlines. You can view his pedigree on All Breed pedigree by typing in "RSR Buns of Brass". He's a gelding... do I or should I test him for the Hypp test? He won't (and can't) be a breeding horse, but he is intended to be a riding horse for my daughter. He's a very stocky healthy 3 year old right now... is this disease something that can affect him.

Latest posts

Back