I think it might be about time

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayne

Reaction score
212021193.jpg

This last June I lost my best buddy dog, Carly at the age of 11 due to heart failure. She was a great and funny girl, very calm and loving. She was not a typical aussie as she wasn't high energy and frankly, not the brightest bulb either. But she was my full-time companion and cuddler. I find myself missing her more now than ever. But I also find my self scouring petfinder.com the last few days too.

I have always said that I don't understand why everyone doesn't have australian shepherds. They are awesome dogs. BUT, I don't think I can ever have another one. It's like I would be unfaithful or that I would always be comparing and that wouldn't be fair. I do think I want another herding dog, however, so that brings me to what I'm thinking now....

I think I want a collie. I see a few people here who have them and I would love to hear about them. I really haven't thought about them much before, but the research I've done the last few days really makes them sound like the kind of dog I would like.

So, I guess that was a long way around asking you to tell me what you know about collies. What do you love about them? What are you not so crazy about them? (The hair?)

Thanks for your input. I can't believe I'm even thinking about this. When Carly died I swore I was done.
default_smile.png

Jayne

I don't have full size collies as I don't like 'big" dogs, but I do recommend shelties, just smaller versions of collies
default_wub.png
My dad's parents raised full size collies when he was growing up and said they were pain, but he did love the style/look of them, I think that's why he likes the shelties so well, they have that same style/look but so much smaller and lovable
default_wub.png
We have three and I absolutely LOVE them.. I like the border collies too but I've heard the much more higher strung and NEED something to do all the time..

Here's our kids:

100_0744.jpg

I say get another Aussie, if you like the breed and it offers what you want in a dog. Go for another color when you look for your next Aussie.

I have a Black Tri-colored Aussie, Bridgette, she's 12 years old this year. Some day I plan to get another, but I'll get a different color, perhaps a blue merle or a red merle when I'm ready for another. Another thing I thought about was to get a miniature Aussie.

Last fall I did get a puppy, she's half Blue Heeler, half Hanging Tree (Catahoula, Kelpie, Border Collie mix, named for the Texas Ranch where they originated, as I heard it); she red and looks pretty much like a Red Heeler. She's a nice dog and is learning to work cattle; but no Aussie. And, no Bridgette. [so, see, it doesn't matter if they are the same breed, you still would be likely to compare. I try not to, but it still happens. I picked the red female puppy from the litter, as the other 4 females were black; trying to get a different color to help me not compare her to Bridgette.]

Another breed you might look into is an English Shepard; they look basically like a larger, stockier Aussie. The couple I bought my AQHA mare from have one and he's just gorgeous with a personality similar to an Aussie. I really don't know much about the breed, but do like their dog very much.

jayne,

Getting another aussie, even if it looked like Carlie, would in no way be disloyal to her. I believe all of my dogs from the past are still with me, so the newcomers are not replacing them, but joining them.

Carlie loved (loves) you dearly and would want you to have a dog to love, whether it looks like her or not.

Another thought would be to look at rescues and Petfinder. Perhaps a collie mix? LGD?

When I had to put my last beloved dog to sleep, It tore me up pretty bad. I had to wait a year and a half before I could get another dog.

I do not know much about the Collie breed. I do know that when I felt sad about getting another and felt that I was going to be replacing my last baby, I knew I wasn't ready to get another.

We sure prefer shelties here. No such thing as a miniature collie but they do look a bit similiar
default_wink.png
Here is my new guy Tracker....if you look close, his tongue is out, he loves giving those horses kisses.
default_laugh.png

Good luck!

tracker%20edited%20reduced.jpg

Oh Connie.....TOO CUTE! That picture needs to be used somewhere! Love the expression of your foal.
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back