I think I had an intruder in my home lst night

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AUGH PARMELA!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Get some deadbolts on those doors!!! And make sure your windows are also locked at night!! Sounds like someone was in there and you are LUCKY - there would be no one to hear you if something happened!!

I am alone a lot too, and have been for years and YES, I own several guns, but learned to shoot as a young woman and am very comfortable with them and use of them. I also have a couple of large dogs that are in the house at night. I never used to lock the doors either until one of my neighbors was up late one night and they happened to observe a drunk trying to get in my front gate to the front door a couple of years ago. He is probably lucky that I didnt hear him- my greeting to him would not have been a pleasant one. I dont lock the back door because they would have to get through the dogs first to come in that way- and that's not going to happen, LOL

The only time my dogs bark is if there is something out of place or something that they think doesnt belong- but I can tell their different barks for what is going on too.

I do have a revolver handy- habit of about 35 years now- and many times bad guys pick out of the way places on purpose because no one else is going to see them- no neighbors close and nobody can hear anything.... so living out in the country these days does NOT mean you are any safer than anywhere else.

Be careful and do get those locks, etc.. done right away! And that was nice of the officer to check up on you! Be sure to tell him you appreciate it- that is going beyond what he is required to do. Wonder why your big dog didnt bark?! Someone who KNOWS you? But why did the little one bark? Sure glad you are ok!!!

Ella my Jenny, brays at anyone that comes around day or night. Man she is loud! Not saying all donkeys would do this but she sure does.

Dyfra my grey Icelandic, is always on the alert, if I can see her, she will let me know if anyone is around. She makes a good pointer. Nothing gets past her.

So during the day, keep an eye on your animals, normally they will let you know if something is out there.

I go out some days with my hair under a big ugly Aussie hat, Military jacket and my .22 Beebee gun, lets just say with the ammo I have in that thing, it will kill. Its light weight and easy to hall around if needed.

At a distance people do not know it is me out and about. And the Neighbors know I will shoot anyone that puts a big ugly paw on my fence.

I vary the times I am out so if anyone is watching, they are never sure where I am.

I have not told anyone local my husband has found a job.

But he wore the same kind of clothes I do. Know that will not help you but wearing something totally different might give the illusion of someone else being around. Say an hunting Jacket and hat, have a rifle or some such in your hand. Funny how some people all of a sudden wave HI to you.

Husband said it is because if you are waving HI you can't shoot them.
default_rolleyes.gif

My property is also fenced and cross fenced, Predator rated hot wire and my gate latches.. lets just say most people don't know how to open my gates. If I felt really afraid the front gates are set up so I can electrify them too.

I don't mind being known as the slightly crazy lady on the hill. Because they still haven't found who murdered the Vet couple of places down the road from me.

Police around here are a joke. So it is great you have a good police force around!

Find this all very sad. That no one can be safe in their own house or property any more. When I was a kid, we never locked doors or worried about people doing these kinds of things.
default_no.gif

Wow that is really scary, I think it's every single woman's fear. I have the scary dog which keeps everyone away. I have actually taught her to be that way because she is a chocolate lab and they aren't known for being scary. I went so far as to teach her to attack if I tell her to( only one bite and not let go until I say, she's never had to do it in "real life" thankfully), she also hates all men except my boyfriend, she knows he is ok but she won't tolerate another male. She goes with me anytime I go outside and if anyone stops by(which they do a lot when you have minis) she will act like she is going to kill them until I say that it is ok. I feel very safe with her, and she is even gentle with my little pug and foals. I'm very lucky to have her. Guns make me nervous although we do have them but they don't make me feel as safe as Belle does. I think that a security system and a good inside guard dog is your best bet. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
the wasp spray by the bed it a great tip also a couple of motion sencors for lamps is a good idea. If they are moving around the lights will come on and you will know someone is actually there without getting out of bed. if nothing else its a good warning system. they wouldnt hurt outside the house either. the lights just coming on my be a deterrant in itself.

Parmela, I took the Missouri CC Classes in Bridgeton. If you want the name of the guys who teach them, let me know. It was a great class, 4 hours instead of 8, and then you can have "range time" if you want the Missouri CC permit. I have guns. I was 100 percent AGAINST them until I met my Marine husband and he taught me the proper way to handle them.
default_smile.png
I wouldn't recommend the wasp spray. It sprays what, 12-20 feet at best? Personally, I'm not letting *anyone* get within 20 feet of me if I feel threatened. ESPECIALLY if they are in *MY* house! As others have said, the announcement of "I have a gun and I will use it" is much better than grabbing wasp spray and hoping you hit his/her face so they can't see or breathe. It's also easier to carry a gun than a can of spray!! Good luck on whatever you decide... and if you want to know about different weapons, let me know. My husband would be HAPPY to show you the difference and teach you all about them!

Thanks everyone for the support and advice! It's very much appreciated.

And just to clarify, the spray I got and installed on the wall at my headboard is BEAR spray and goes 25-30 feet and will DROP a man - even a drug crazed large man. I agree it's no gun, but it's certainly better than nothing until I can decide on the gun thing.

As for why my dog didn't bark, I just don't know. Heck, she's barking now at probalby nothing, but not a peep from her that night until the police showed up. One thought I had was over the last couple of years I've had probably 5 or 6 different teenage boys and 1 man that have come and worked in the barn for me. A couple of them have been out since my divorce. Looking back, I've probably not handled that the best. I probably should have made a point to lie to each and act like I was still married and just needed additional help. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize I'm alone. Only one vehicle, only me outside doing chores, etc.

Also today I started rethinking the dog issue. I had wanted a large, mean/aggressive looking dog but had decided against it because of my two little dogs and not wanting them accidently stepped on or something. But I went looking today and found one that may work. I'm going back tomorrow with my little dogs to see how he does. He's approx 1 year old - so still a lot of puppy in him. He's a Cain Corso (I'm not sure I've spelled that correctly) although not purebred. He's not at big as a purebred, but he looks pb with the exception of the size. He probably will mature around 100lbs. He's very smart and responsive and eager to learn. I took my friend Michele with me who used to train guard/attack dogs for military for many years so she can really "read" a dog and she liked him for my purposes. Thought with proper training he could really be an asset to me around here.

I'm also getting some of those motion sensors for two of the outside lights and also two indoor lamps. Just have to figure out how to do the indoor ones without my cat always setting them off. Those, along with the locks and maybe a dog should be a few steps in the right direction.

And just to clarify.... I do NOT believe it was my ex or any of his doing. We are civil and he still has keys to this home so if he wanted to come over he would just do it during the day when I'm not here!lol He has no need to slink around.

Parmela I'm so sorry this happened to you and can only begin to imagine how scared you must have been. I'm glad you have people around you that can help you and that the sheriff's office responded quickly.

I wanted to let you know that I have a Cane Corso dog. We got her 5 years ago. She is my canine soulmate and the puppy love of my life. (Please go to my website and you can see her there.) These dogs have protection bred INTO them, altho they are total goof-balls when in their family environment. She gets along with everything that is hers, the critters on the farm, horses, chickens, chicks, duck, cat, her Boxer sister...everything. But she is aloof to other dogs and people. When we first got her it was VERY important to socialize her so I took her and handled her in obedience training, rally, and some agility. We had such a good time. Still she goes many places with us and no, she is not the kind of dog a stranger can walk up to and rub all over her head, she is a powerful breed and just by looking at her people respect her. I had a lady in obedience tell me I was a castle and she was my moat. You can see it on her face she is constantly thinking and "working" never letting her guard down. She is protective without being aggressive. There have been times when I am standing talking with someone and she comes and stands right between me and the person, very close to me. She lets people know she is there for me should I need her in the blink of an eye. That's all she just wants her presence known. She has rewarded me many times over. Should you decide to get a breed like this, I won't sugar coat it in telling you they need a strong assertive person to guide them, lots of socialization and training and be prepared to be the apple of his/her eye. They are a dog that thrives being with you constantly as that is what makes them happiest.

Please let us know what you decide to do. I LOVE Cane Corsos...they are the breed of choice for our family. (But then I love ALL dogs!) Take a look at my website and you can get to know Lakota Iron Wolf.
default_wub.png

Parmela I'm so sorry this happened to you and can only begin to imagine how scared you must have been. I'm glad you have people around you that can help you and that the sheriff's office responded quickly.

I wanted to let you know that I have a Cane Corso dog. We got her 5 years ago. She is my canine soulmate and the puppy love of my life. (Please go to my website and you can see her there.) These dogs have protection bred INTO them, altho they are total goof-balls when in their family environment. She gets along with everything that is hers, the critters on the farm, horses, chickens, chicks, duck, cat, her Boxer sister...everything. But she is aloof to other dogs and people. When we first got her it was VERY important to socialize her so I took her and handled her in obedience training, rally, and some agility. We had such a good time. Still she goes many places with us and no, she is not the kind of dog a stranger can walk up to and rub all over her head, she is a powerful breed and just by looking at her people respect her. I had a lady in obedience tell me I was a castle and she was my moat. You can see it on her face she is constantly thinking and "working" never letting her guard down. She is protective without being aggressive. There have been times when I am standing talking with someone and she comes and stands right between me and the person, very close to me. She lets people know she is there for me should I need her in the blink of an eye. That's all she just wants her presence known. She has rewarded me many times over. Should you decide to get a breed like this, I won't sugar coat it in telling you they need a strong assertive person to guide them, lots of socialization and training and be prepared to be the apple of his/her eye. They are a dog that thrives being with you constantly as that is what makes them happiest.

Please let us know what you decide to do. I LOVE Cane Corsos...they are the breed of choice for our family. (But then I love ALL dogs!) Take a look at my website and you can get to know Lakota Iron Wolf.
wub.gif
Your Cane is BEAUTIFUL!!! Oh my goodness. The one I'm considering is the same coat color, but he will not mature as large as your pretty girl. He has the same head shape and expression though.

I am going to visit a mature Rott today that was removed from a breeding situation. She's more mature and wouldn't require the same amount of training. I just want to take my time in deciding and make sure it's a good fit for both dog and human as well as my other dogs at home. I've postponed the pet interaction until Monday after the Cane has recovered from his neuter.

Thanks for the advice!!

I am so sorry this has happened to you. You handled the situation very well. You've received alot of good idea's. My husband is a law enforcement officer & he has always been after me to protect myself, of course his choice is guns. I personally am not comfortable handling a gun even with being trained to use one. He's bought me all different types of pepper spray & I didn't like the thought of using it because of the large chance of it blowing back on me etc. One day my beloved husband brought home a TASER C2 for me. It is a "civilian" version of the Taser he carries. I love it. It was very easy to learn to use. Easy to conceal. Best of all very effective. This is not like the old stunguns. This thing is great. I now carry it with me everywhere. You can learn more about it here My husband did check with your state & it is legal to carry & use if needed. If you have any questions you are welcome to contact us. We'd be happy to talk with you about it.

I am so sorry this has happened to you. You handled the situation very well. You've received alot of good idea's. My husband is a law enforcement officer & he has always been after me to protect myself, of course his choice is guns. I personally am not comfortable handling a gun even with being trained to use one. He's bought me all different types of pepper spray & I didn't like the thought of using it because of the large chance of it blowing back on me etc. One day my beloved husband brought home a TASER C2 for me. It is a "civilian" version of the Taser he carries. I love it. It was very easy to learn to use. Easy to conceal. Best of all very effective. This is not like the old stunguns. This thing is great. I now carry it with me everywhere. You can learn more about it here My husband did check with your state & it is legal to carry & use if needed. If you have any questions you are welcome to contact us. We'd be happy to talk with you about it.

Oh my gosh! I NEVER thought of having my own taser but what a great idea!!! I only briefly read some details on the site but bookmarked it to go back tonight. And it's more affordable than I imagined they would be. And I always thought they were considered a "firearm" and therefore wouldn't be legal to carry in any place inside my purse, but I just learned by reading the site that's not true. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I encourage everyone, man or woman, to take a look at the site!
yes.gif

I to had never really thought of that and will be looking into it for my daughter and myself thanks for the info

That sure was a scary ordeal for you. We live in the country as well. I have never been afraid to leave my doors unlocked, always having the thought of..if they want to get in they will find a way. But, lately have been locking them. In summer our area is a resort type rather then the farming community it normally is, and we sure seem to have alot of 'kooks" around. So many people just stop in and pull right up to the mini horse pasture which is located BEHIND our house and not visible from the road unless you really are looking. We do have guns, and I do know how to use one if I had too. (we have bear, coyotes, etc in our area) but I have never felt comfy using one, so I really like the taser idea. We also have a security system on our house, which activates thru the sheriffs dept. In the house if someone got in they would be met by our 4 dogs, a lab and 3 standard poodles. All 4 are so alert they would bark at just the tiniest noise outside or in. In the barn we have our German Shepherd/wolf, she is just not one you would really want to meet up with ..so all in all I feel safe, we also have 3 large security light on our farm and buildings, plus my son/ family live right next door , also on our farm..and has 2 large dogs, across the road my daughter/family have a home (also on our farm) and has 2 dogs. In todays world a person can never be too safe.

Only problem with a taser, is the bad guy has to get pretty close to you to be able to use one.(Husband has used them in the past in the Military) So I class that with the high powered Bear Spray.

The Civilian tasers are limited to 15' (if they are legal). The Military and police ones can go as far as 35'. Can of bear spray has a range of 30 to 35', under very high pressure.( the Bear spay is nothing like the whimpy people pepper sprays)

Taser can't always drop a person on drugs and I sure won't want them to get that close to me. Can see if used by joggers in the cities it might work..Where an attacker could come up behind you.

I don't think there is a perfect way to protect ones self.

So we should go around armed with one of everything!
default_laugh.png
Bad guys would take one look at us and run away!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the drawback of a taser, the closeness. I wouldnt feel comfy being that close to a intruder either. (besides I found out that it is illigal to have one in WI.) Your right Shari, there is no perfect way to protect oneself.

OMG I couldn't live out there alone. I HATE to be alone at night and cannot sleep.

German shepherds. Someone would have to shoot my 100 pound male if they wanted to win that fight. He is so loyal and takes his job very seriously.

Latest posts

Back