I think I had an intruder in my home lst night

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I've had some time to process this now so I think I'm seeing it a bit more realistically and not as emotionally as I was during the night. Around 3:20am I heard a sound that was similar to a book or something with a bit of weight falling off a desk or countertop. It woke me up and I sat up in bed listening for a few minutes. My dogs did not wake up. After a few minutes (can't say for sure how long) I heard that popping sound that the duct work makes as you walk through the house. Can't really explain it but it's a familiar sound in my home. At that point I was very sure someone was in the house or at least it sure seemed like it. I waited longer and stared at my bedroom doorway to see if I could see any movement in the slim light coming in my family room windows from the dusk to dawn light on the barn. I never saw any shadows. I decided to put my chihuahua on the floor and see how he reacted to going out into the family room. Well, the trotted out there and immediately started barking. At that point I called 911. The dispacter had me lock my bedroom door and stay on the phone. I live in a remote area so it took about 8 minutes for them to get here. It seemed like an eternity. Oddly enough my LGD wasn't barking. They looked around the outside of the house first and then came inside with rifles drawn. They searched (or "cleared" as then referred to is as they went room to room) each room and the basement. All that was found was dried mud from the tread of a boot that didn't match any of the officers or my personal boots. It was in my foyer. And my work computer, in the family room - adjacent to the foyer - had the screen on as if the mouse had been bumped. It should have been solid black since it had been hours since I was up. They took pictures of the mud and the computer and looked around my barn and one of them drove around my property and up the street.

Today a deputy came by (I'm home sick with the flu) and checked on me which I thought was nice. He said that they believe someone was in the home because of the mud and also because the dispatcher told them when they were in route that he heard a click on the phone line that wasn't me. While we were talking he asked me "are you still there?" I said yes and then he asked if there were other phones in the home. I personally didn't hear anything and didn't know why he asked me that.

So tonight Robert is coming over and is going to stay for a few days. We're going to replace the look on my front door which I should have done a long time ago anyway and then we're going to get a lock for my back door. Until now, I've never locked my back door - whether I'm home or not. Just didn't seem like there was a need but I guess times are changing...even out in the country.
unsure.gif

It's very creepy to think that maybe someone was in my home while I was sleeping. I've never owned a gun, never even held one. My ex had several and always at least one at the ready. I'm thinking maybe it's time for me to get some lessons on use and safety and maybe see about getting something I could handle.

I'd be curious to learn what other single women do. Do you have any firearms? Do you have a guard dog?

Thanks for reading.

Please be careful! I wonder if leaving a television on and making sure that you have a vehicle parked outside,rather than in the garage would help? I don't like guns,my husband has some in the gun cabinet but I'm not comfortable with them. Someone posted earlier about wasp spray I think it was,I like that idea. Sounds like you have a good police dept
aktion033.gif
,take care.

A few large dogs here and a handgun. They might walk in but they won't walk out. In my opinion if they enter my house they are already aware of the chances they could die. They have put themselves willing in that position. They are also definitely up to no good if they enter someone elses home with invitation. We as Americans have a right to defend our property and should.

Marie

My first thought while reading this was that it was your ex-husband. Did he perhaps leave something valuable behind?

We never had any problems when we lived in Portland...nothing even remotely frightening UNTIL we moved to the country, when we had a guy running from the police show up on our property.

I believe in good, strong locks on all doors and windows. Too often, people have guns and leave their doors unlocked. You can have an arsenal and have the biggest guy in the world in the house, but you cannot be vigilant all the time. When Keith and I first lived together, he asked why I insisted on locking the door when he was around. I asked him what protection he would be if he were asleep or in the bathroom.

We ALWAYS lock the doors, even if we're out at the barn or working on the property away from the house.

With my vision, having a gun would be a bit dicey -- besides, I don't like guns and won't own one. But even if you choose to get a gun, PLEASE get a security expert to review your locks and other security issues.

I do intend to get wasp spray both for at home and when we're out driving the trails. I don't want to kill, but I'd have no trouble with maiming!

That dispatcher was really on the ball, and it sounds like the officers who came out were, too. Good for them, and good for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my goodness Parmela that is really frightening. Good girl for keeping your cool and dialing 911 and staying put until they could get there and secure your home. You had to be s _ _ _ _ _ _ _ bricks. I'm so glad you are alright and am glad that you are changing all your locks. What a frightening experience.

Extremely scary!

Changing locks is a good start, making sure all your windows and doors are locked. I have wooden dowels in the sliding doors and windows.

I would get a home security system put in, well worth the piece of mind.

For guns... only get one if you are comfortable on using one and have had some training. We are loaded for bear here.. so to speak. But the guns are where I can get them, intruders can't. I will use them if I have too. Favorite is a 30-30 but just cocking a Shot Gun, the noise alone will scare people off, because they know the sound.

I also have Bear spray and various other things to use if needed. It is also dark around here at night and I have lots of things around for intruders to trip on and hurt themselves. I prefer the pitch dark because they would have to use their own light to be able to see. Then I would know for sure.

Having a flood light you can use, is useful once you know someone is about. Turning that on can also make them run because they know someone is up.

You might also take some self defense classes.

Very glad to hear you will have a friend staying with you for a few days. Stay safe!!

That is very scary. My best advice is self defense classes they are invaluable. A gun is great but might not always be right where you need it when you need it and you need to know how to protect yourself without a weapon. The self defense classes are very empowering and really should be taken every couple of years at least IMO

Surprised your chi's didnt bark mine bark if someone sneezes across the street - annoying to say the least but not much gets past them sound wise

Parmela,

I would have been SSSSOOOOO scared!! I agree with those that suggested you get a gun and learn to use it. I have several and believe me, I wouldn't think a second about using it if someone came into my home. The wasp spray is a good idea, but if someone is breaking in, I don't think it would spray far enough for me!! I really believe in the future we will have to protect what is ours and I'm afraid the 'country folks' won't be as safe as we are even now. And, while it's good to depend on someone who is around, God forbid they were hurt first. Nope, I want my own gun!!

Take care,

Pam

I"m totally freaked out by this. My first thought was that it was your X since the dog didn't bark. What on earth could he want there???

Parm, I honestly think that too many people know you are living alone there now and this makes you easy prey. Self defense classes, great idea, wasp spray, and a telephone handy in each and every room would be invaluable to me. Let's add a stun gun in there too. I think in this case, I'd be starting a local rumor that you are not living alone any more. I hate the idea of being a complete liar but under these circumstances, someone is on to you living by yourself and you have to get the word out that you are not. I'd not only say that your big huge mean gun toteing boyfriend is living there, but that all his big huge mean gun toteing brothers have moved in too and I would be dropping that information casually all over town everywhere you went.I'm totally not joking around here Parm, I feel you are in danger and have to pull out all the stops.

I agree with several of the above posts.........Your dog didn't bark. I bet it was your EX.

Change your locks, get Wasp Spray, and let your attorney know.

And not because of your EX, but just for general purposes, it wouldn't hurt to learn how to use a gun. I just mentioned that to my husband. He knows how to shoot a hunting rifle and a 22. But I've told him I think I want to learn how to use a gun as well.

We all have our opinions of what we "would do" if in certain dangerous situations. Truth is, it is different when you are "there". Not that the intent changes, just the circumstances. Let's face it when surprised, and/or scared, not all our well thought out actions can take place.

So, consider tactics to give you the best chance of doing what you planned and are capable of doing........this means a warning. Dogs, lights, security items. (by the way, when my Chi was in bed with me, you could take the bed away!! Not in my bed, covered, different story). For these reasons, I suggest you either have a security system installed (now you could have a monthly monitoring fee for this) OR have some security systems installed by Robert, while he's there for next few days
default_yes.gif
Your home improvement stores generally have a line of reasonably priced, easy to install, often battery op, that sound off when a window, door, etc is opened. Lights can be installed that come on with detected motion, security cams, driveway detection units (could be installed anywhere), good locks, etc. I installed special brackets into my doors that are bolted into the actual house framing at the doors -- you can't just kick the doors and bust the trim off to get the door opened! You'd need a sledged hammer or better to bust the deadbolt thru it. Costs less than $20. Of course, you could break out the actual windows but it would be very noisy and take something swung hard to do it! There's that warning to grab the gun.

Now, I'd get the gun and shoot if I heard that glass breaking -- may be shaking and not hit but let me tell you, I'd unload it and probably do a good amount of damage. I've been pretty good at hitting running dogs, so I figure that was a smaller target. Key is to have a warning, IMO.

Next, my thought in such a situation would be that I had to escape and survive -- so think about how that could happen for you. You know a fire escape plan is a good thing when you need to use it, so have a plan. Also, people breaking in do not want to be detected. Often things I mentioned will run them off -- not as good as catching, which may happen anyway, but a safety point.

Finally, think about this -- would your ex have a reason to return?? It appears intruder knew the layout of the house well enough to move easily/safely. Just thinking out loud.

I'm sorry you've experienced this. Stay safe and be observant, cautious and a little suspicious of anyone with too much interest in you and your place. Like we tell our children....yell and run like heck....if anything isn't just "right". You know how you "feel" that your horses "just aren't right"? Well, keep/develop that about your own self and surroundings. You'll be fine if you just plan for safety.

How terrifying! There have been some great ideas here! Makes me want to get the door brackets, security systems and more!! Glad you are ok!

That's got to be a frightening thing to have happen. I've lived alone for a very long time now but I'm not sure how I'd handle knowing someone had come into my home in the middle of the night.

As usual there have been several good suggestions. If you're thinking seriously about a gun I recommend a shotgun. If it ever became necessary you could announce "I have a gun" and the intruder would probably leave. If not, firing that sucker, would scare the ---- out of him. With a shotgun you could aim low and do a lot of damage without killing. While wasp spray is a good idea it would only be good if you were in the same room (definitely closer than I'd want to be). I can't imagine a warning like "I've got wasp spray and will use it".

Talk with your local law enforcement people - they sound like a good bunch - and see what recommendations they make. Take whatever precautions you feel comfortable with. Really glad to hear that someone is coming to stay with you. It will make you feel more secure even if the intruder never returns - which he probably won't.

Thank you all very much for the advice and concern. I can't tell you all how much it is appreciated. I've got several thoughts and hope I remember to cover them.

First, I just can't imagine my ex coming here in the middle of the night, however I do find it very odd that my LGD didn't bark. She sure did when the deputies showed up. But I have come home when she's been fast asleep in the dry lot and she's not moved a muscle, so don't know if that's because she knew it was my car pulling in or she just sleeps soundly. Either way, not much of a guard dog in that situation. I have my chihuahua and an italian greyhound that live in the house with me. I've been wanting a HUGE, scary looking dog for a while now and now it's time to go ahead and get one. One that will live in the house and not with the horses.

I do think the self-defense classes are a good idea and I am going to look into that for sure. I believe I will still look into taking some gun safety and usage classes and then decide after that if I think I'm ready to have one here at home. My ex always said no because he said a person up to no good would take it away from me and use it on me before I could even do anything about it. And maybe he was right, but I won't know until I take some classes and learn more about them.

A security system seems like a great way to go. Had a very extensive one when we lived in St. Louis County in kind of a more expensive neighborhood but haven't gotten one out here. Just didn't think it was necessary but guess that has changed.

Robert did come over last night and brought me a couple of things from Bass Pro Shop. One is pepper spray for my key chain and the other is a HUGE canister of bear spray that mounts to the wall. It shoots 25ft and will stop a person in their tracks. Of course it will also impact me if I don't put a sheet to my mouth/eyes and it will impact my dogs but it won't kill them or me and I will have time to get out of the house.

Marty, I do think you're right. This is a small town and EVERYONE knows I live alone. It's so obvious the huge truck is never in the driveway anymore and there is never anyone out mowing grass or tending to the horses but me. People I don't even know or never even saw before will stop me in WalMart and ask how I'm getting along by myself. It's both the good and the bad of living in such a small town. I need to change that perception and I also think having a huge, killer looking dog laying on the front porch all day wouldn't hurt either!

And lastly, one of my neighbors came by last night and asked what was going on. Apparently her husband was leaving for work about 4:30am (well after this was all over) and he was stopped by a deputy that was sitting with his lights off on our street. My neighbor explained he was going to work and didn't see anything so the deputy let him go. But I thought it was nice that one of them stuck around and just watched for a while. The sheriff's department has had a tough time here the last few years. One of them (a young, new deputy) shot and killed two unarmed teenagers that were in a truck (shot them both in the back of the head) and as you can imagine there was outrage. It's been a while and it's simmered down some, but it's still tough for them and they are always watching their backs because of the terrible actions of one. He has since been sentenced to 2 life terms in jail (there was a lot to the story; more than just an officer shooting someone he thought was a danger) but there are still trucks that are in town with bullseye decals on the back windows behind where the driver and passengers heads are and signs about "Lincoln County Sheriff Deputies Commit Murder" and other things like that. So, they've had a rough time but I do think the vast majority of them are good people trying to protect their community.

Thanks again for all the excellent advice! It is much appreciated.

omg that is soo scary! that is my biggest fear, to have some creep come on YOUR property, break into YOUR house and steal YOUR stuff! thats why i sleep with a knife under my bed and when i get older i'm going to get lessons on how to handle a gun. if your dogs didnt bark then perhaps they knew the person? i dont know, all i know is you need to up security in your house, and fast!

I've been wanting a HUGE, scary looking dog for a while now and now it's time to go ahead and get one. One that will live in the house and not with the horses.

the best guard dogs my family have ever had was a german sheperd, a lab and a rottweiler. all were very loyal and protective of their property and their people. rescue dogs are also a good way to go, they are often VERY happy to repay the favor
wub.gif

I would get a security system with a monitoring attached where it will call the police for you if the alarm goes off.

I have 5 noisy dogs, they go off if anybody even turns around in my driveway. Between the 5 of them, somebody is always watching. My collie is a great watchdog. She protects what is hers.

That is a scarey experience to say the least, thanks for posting, keeps us all on our toes.

Good advise from the other posts about the wasp and bear spray.

best wishes, glad you weren't hurt, and good thinking to call 911 and not go check it out yourself.
aktion033.gif

I am wondering if the LGD didnt bark casue this person has been hanging around a bit when you are not home and the dog is used to his presence? I know we had a LGD for a short time and he quickly became used to what he percieved as normal in his surroundings maybe this guy became something somewhat normal to him?

While many might not agree I think a well trained not heavily socialized dog meaning not one who will run up to everyone and be a happy go lucky guy is a huge key.

I do agree in most cases with a gun it is not often right where you need it when you need it. And can be used against you- Your mind has to go to the planning of using it while the intruder is already thought his plan out. NOt saying do not get one but I do think you need to be able to take care of yourself without a weapon as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Parm, you know when dogs are concerned I'm going to suggest a German Shepherd. There is no doubt in my mind that although my GSD's my beloved Tracey and now Amy, as docile and friendly as they are, would attack anyone that would attempt to harm me. A GSD is so in tune to you, they just "know"......

That said, please do a search for a retired police trained GSD. From time to time I am contacted by one organzation for them or another, and they have a special retirement set up for them around the country when they can no longer be used in police work in the field. If you are interested and cannot contact any of them, I have a personal friend who stars in Animal Planets "K-9 Cops" in New York City that I can contact for you, but try to find one closer to you first.

Also one last thing, ask your boyfriend if he has any extra cars or trucks, even if they do not run, to park additional vehicles at your property so it will look like you have a houseful there. And be sure to move the cars around every couple of days so it will appear like they are being driven in and out frequently.

When I lived in Vegas I owned a gun. There was a man getting into my and about 6 other womens apartments while we were gone. He not only got into our apartments but he took a pair of underwear each time he was there. So I bought a gun and everyone knew I carried it. Even my cop friend. They did catch the guy and I moved from Vegas.

We (me and my mother) have lived in this house for about 8 years now. We never locked the house and there was usually someone here. Three years ago my brother and his family moved in with us and they have a German short hair pointer. This dog is so protective and one family oriented that when he did bite someone and went to doggie jail for 2 weeks, no one could get into the kennel with this dog and when he saw my brother, who had to get him out of the kennel the dog cried tears. He was here until a year ago. When I knew they were moving it was time to get a big dog. I have a 1 3/4lb yorkie and a 4lb poodle. Not much help except to make a bunch of noise. We bought a Rott/lab mix that really looked like a red doberman. When she was 6 months old the neighbors poisoned her. So I went in search of another dog. That is when I got my GP mix. This dog lives both inside and outside. We do not have predators so she mostly keeps the chickens in line. She also feels she owns us. Including my niece and nephew that spend a lot of time at my house. She is so protective that when she went to the vet she stepped between me and the tech and growled. I had to tell her the person was OK. One night a few weeks ago at 2:30am we had 2 hispanic men come to the front door. I usually did not lock the door but that night I locked both locks. They tapped on the glass on the top 1/2 of the door. I went to the door and they kept insisting I let them in. They could hear the little dogs barking and still insisted I let them in. Then Brandy went to the door and put her front feet on the top wood edge of the door and started to bark like she was gonna eat them both. The one guy tugged on the other to leave and they did. I called 911 and they were there in about 2 mins. but, going up and down the street and checking the irrigation ditch they had disappeared. For about a week the police gave extra patrol to the neighborhood.

I would like to also point out that in the '70's in the Sacramento,CA area there was a guy they called "The East Area Rapist". No dogs barked at this man. It didn't matter if the people had dogs or not. He would attack a husband and wife while they slept. He would also disappear before the police got there. Some people just have a nack that dogs don't bark at them. I haven't seen one yet because my dogs still bark at my brother and he lived here for 2 years.

Latest posts

Back