I think he still has worms

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I see a belly like that, my first question is- what are you feeding? the belly looks like an malnorished baby(bloated stomach) as you've seen rescue groups on tv for. He needs more and the 'right' nutrition. I saw 6+ horses at the last show look like this and then I saw what they were feeding. ugh. Start from the beginning and go from there. one little medicine isnt going to cure him and let a vet look at him, could be something else going on in there too. But you need to change your feeding program. when I got Jr( my yearling) he looked horrible, pot belly, ugly dull coat. So for example- Twice a day- my yearling is getting one cup dry beet pulp(soaked), 2 cups crimped oats, 6 oz alfalfa cubes, 1/4 cup Enrich 32, daily wormer, 6cc body builder and a handful of loose nice grass hay.. he is a bit chunky at the moment, but he has a 13 hr drive to World in a couple days and he will drop about 10 lbs during the trip.
JRSdakota1-1.jpg

I just had to say this, I think when I was scanning down, I saw you said you were using Omolene? then build him up to- use 2-3 cups Omolene , 1/4 cup Enrich 32, 2 cups crimped, rolled oats.(just a runned over oat). 6-8 oz alfalfa hay or better yet cubes, you can weigh them. and start with a cup of beet pulp and move him up to 1 1/2 cups beet pulp measured dry, but soak it. do this gradual change in about 5-7 days, write it down so you know what the schedule looks like and get him on a daily wormer, it looks expensive at first, but a healthy horse is a happy horse and a lot less trips to the vet. Another thing, people will say - well this isnt a show horse- so then what, you are supoose to feed them crap, do attorneys and doctors eat different high quality foods than a blue collar worker, NO, we all must eat healthy, no matter what you do. Good Luck
Have you seen the reply's? or just a few? I am feeding him, Omolene 300 ( per the vet ). He was a rescue, I have had him for going on 4 weeks, he along with the others were starved, covered in rain rot & loaded with worm's. He was vet checked after they got him out of there. I have had my vet out to see him to ( 2 times so far ). I try to reply to everyone and thank them for there in put. But I feel if you dont read up on the thread and reply as you did, it is unfair & I will leave it at that.

i am not trying to come across wrong, I am just trying to reply from what I see on the very first post. I am trying to help you the quickest way possible, I want all the little mini horses out there to have happy healthy lives. why do you think I was sharing what I use and have used on little guys like yours? this is why I think I am going to stop replying on this website and start my own for people who show minis. if this is how I get a thanks, then so be it. I am outta here.
default_saludando.gif

To answer your question about how long it will take to see worms after you give the dewormer--I can't say for sure about all dewormers, but when I give ivermectin I will see worms approximately 24 hours later.

i am not trying to come across wrong, I am just trying to reply from what I see on the very first post. I am trying to help you the quickest way possible, I want all the little mini horses out there to have happy healthy lives. why do you think I was sharing what I use and have used on little guys like yours? this is why I think I am going to stop replying on this website and start my own for people who show minis. if this is how I get a thanks, then so be it. I am outta here.
default_saludando.gif

I am posting the PM she sent right after she wrote this

ipsmenu.register( "post-member-7614", '', 'popmenubutton-new', 'popmenubutton-new-out' );

ipsmenu.register( "post-member-7614", '', 'popmenubutton-new', 'popmenubutton-new-out' ); [SIZE=8pt]your little horse, Today, 10:00 AM[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Totally Addicted[/SIZE]

pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif

Group: Member

Member No.: 7614

I was not trying being rude - & I think you need to re read your reply to me or may be read the post ( any post for that matter ) in a whole not just parts before you reply. When you say things like

"one little medicine isnt going to cure him and let a vet look at him"

"Another thing, people will say - well this isnt a show horse- so then what, you are supoose to feed them crap, do attorneys and doctors eat different high quality foods than a blue collar worker, NO, we all must eat healthy, no matter what you do."

You should be sure that they fit before you say it. I was not asking for One little medicine to fix him, I am not trying to fix him with out a vet eather, Had you read the entire post you would have know that,

I feed them all good Quality feed - as I have named before

Vet has seen him 2 times just since I have had him, and my farrier has also trimmed him.

and if that is being wrapped up in a special world so be it, I wouldnt change a thing.

[SIZE=8pt]
spacer.gif
[/SIZE]

thanks for being rude- I was only trying to help, people like you are why we no longer want to participate on this 'know-it-all' board. you should go back and read my entire post, I got a phone call and had to repost new stuff. but since you are so wrapped up in your special world, guess it doesnt matter, you have it all figured out. [SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]
spacer.gif
[/SIZE]

To answer your question about how long it will take to see worms after you give the dewormer--I can't say for sure about all dewormers, but when I give ivermectin I will see worms approximately 24 hours later.

Thank you, I have bin checking & checking & so far I have found nothing, it will be 24 hours soon. So we'll see

Thanks a bunch

I'd like to commend you for being such a good horse owner. My gosh you have only had this little one for 4 weeks and you have done so much to tend to his needs. Ripped from his mama at only 2 months is criminal and there you are picking up the pieces. This little guy is going to end up being a swan, not an ugly duckling or a dwarf of any kind in my humble opinion because of your loving care. In your pictures, he's hairy, butt high, not standing worth a crap all underneath himself so no one should be judging him at this point, just address the belly like you wanted. I can't wait to see him when its all said and done. I do think you will need to tweak your feeding program but just take one day at a time, go slowly with any and all changes. Please do address ulcers and get him on ulcer medication. There is no doubt in my mind, feeble as it is, that ulcers are present under the stressful conditions he went through already in his little short life and that is also is another reason for that belly of his. Congratulations on the purchase of your little boy and best wishes and much luck and success with him. You're a doll and so is he.
default_saludando.gif

I'd like to commend you for being such a good horse owner. My gosh you have only had this little one for 4 weeks and you have done so much to tend to his needs. Ripped from his mama at only 2 months is criminal and there you are picking up the pieces. This little guy is going to end up being a swan, not an ugly duckling or a dwarf of any kind in my humble opinion because of your loving care. In your pictures, he's hairy, butt high, not standing worth a crap all underneath himself so no one should be judging him at this point, just address the belly like you wanted. I can't wait to see him when its all said and done. I do think you will need to tweak your feeding program but just take one day at a time, go slowly with any and all changes. Please do address ulcers and get him on ulcer medication. There is no doubt in my mind, feeble as it is, that ulcers are present under the stressful conditions he went through already in his little short life and that is also is another reason for that belly of his. Congratulations on the purchase of your little boy and best wishes and much luck and success with him. You're a doll and so is he.
default_saludando.gif
Thanks Marty

I ordered Sand Secret, it should be here monday ( I hope ) What type of ulcer med do you use? Still waiting to see if he passes any worm's.. so far none that I can find.

well off to the barn

Thanks again

Your little guy is not a dwarf, IMO.

However, he is in a lot of discomfort and obviously has health issues. I'm glad YOU got him and are aware and willing to handle them.

I do think you need a vet to be involved here. And I agree that he has more than one issue happening.

My guess is similar to what's been listed already......1. Worms.....2. Ulcers......3. Diet.

Bless you for being his caretaker. If nothing bad happens between now and a year from now, I'd love to see how he looks then.

I just wanted to add, as the owner of a dwarf, that he is NOT a dwarf.

I think that he has come very far in a very short time and that you and he are doing very well. Thank you for "rescuing" him and thank you for trying to educate yourself and for trying to care for him properly!

I am noticing more and more that there are A LOT of people that regularly post on the forum that only read the original post (often referred to as the OP) of a topic and do not read any of the previous replies before they post their reply and I think that is sad for them because they are missing out on a lot. They might see that what they are going to post has already been posted and/or they might actually learn something themselves from reading what has already been posted by others. I do not reply to a topic before I read what everyone has contributed up to that point and I have learned so much from what everyone has to offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to add, as the owner of a dwarf, that he is NOT a dwarf.
I think that he has come very far in a very short time and that you and he are doing very well. Thank you for "rescuing" him and thank you for trying to educate yourself and for trying to care for him properly!

I am noticing more and more that there are A LOT of people that regularly post on the forum that only read the original post (often referred to as the OP) of a topic and do not read any of the previous replies before they post their reply and I think that is sad for them because they are missing out on a lot. They might see that what they are going to post has already been posted and/or they might actually learn something themselves from reading what has already been posted by others. I do not reply to a topic before I read what everyone has contributed up to that point and I have learned so much from what everyone has to offer.
Thank You, and eather way Not a dwarf or a dwarf it would not change a thing, I enjoy him ( & my other rescues ) as pets & the reward is seeing one taken from a not so good place & making them happy & better. Thank your for the words on reading a post before you reply. If it is based on the one I think I think it is, I also had to block her from PM'ing me. Oh well, no biggie - I have found a place to get great info. from some who have bin there done that along with SOME GREAT SUPPORT

Thank You To ALLL

Im very glad you put this post up because I have been following it like a hawk. I too have a 5 month old that looks exactly like yours to the T. I had to wean her at 3 months old because her dam was a walking rack of bones. Shortly after she started to grow a huge belly and just was not herself no more in personality. Ive wormed her, gave her yogurt, fresh new hay, and no change. So I got a stronger wormer to use in the future, and will soon be getting equine jr for her too. So all the info you have been recieving I have been following as well. Good luck with your colt!
default_wub.png

my filly in avatar

I too want to thank you for this post. I'm starting to believe that I need to totally re-think how we're feeding our foal. She was weaned @ 4 months and is "low man on the totem pole" in our herd right now. As a result, I think she is depressed. She is completely docile and shows no spark at all. It is quite disheartening. I'm going to change her feeding based on what I'm reading here to see if that also helps.

Off to research more info on ulcers....

From one who is generally OCD about feeding programs - I have a 4 month old colt who got away from me in nutritional needs just last week. It only took a week and a growth spurt for him to develop a pot belly. And I didn't see it coming. Sometimes its hard to see it when you do the daily maintenance on your animals. But there he was Friday looking at me, no lustre, no spark, he wasn't running and playing anymore. But my gosh - he grew about 2 inches in a short period of time! So I have adjusted his feeding up to 1 lb. per feeding (I have ponies) and matching beet pulp and have upped his hay now too.

The point - you can be on top of your feed program, but foals and just weaned foals can sometimes catch you off guard. It was just a growth spurt and he was already showing signs of needing more nutrition.

All foals got wormed this weekend and only one that came from another farm pooped out worms. So worming was not the issue either (I worm monthly). In just 5 short days I can see improvement and he is running and playing again. It doesn't take much to pull one down.

Keep up the good work!

Yep, I think booker still has worms, he has a foul smell and I mean foul smell coming from his hind-end, he is still itchy to, ( pin worms? ) His stools are good and I have not seen any worms. He was treated for worms a month ago when he was rescued, I treated him about 10 days ago with a dose for 50lbs I didnt want to give him to much... I dont think i gave him enough. would it be ok to give him a larger dose? This is a pic from a few days ago

He is 4 to 5 months old @ near 50lbs, What size dose should I treat him with?

I will get it tomorrow

Thanks a bunch

I think he's an absolute doll! And you're an angel for caring for him so well. I have learned a lot from this post and thank you for sharing.

I noticed that you have said you are working with a vet on this little guy. One poster suggested, and I strongly agree, you should get a fecal egg count done on this little guy to see exactly where he stands. Good luck with him!

<a href="http://www.allivet.com/GastroGard-Rx-p/10042.htm?gclid=CLP27Mb2gZ0CFYNg2godFBJraQ" target="_blank">http://www.allivet.com/GastroGard-Rx-p/100...CFYNg2godFBJraQ</a>

I used Gastroguard with wondeful results for about 40 days. When I used it, it was a RX I had to get through my vet, not sold on the counter. Gastroguard gets rid of ulcers that are already there unlike some other ulcer meds that are only a preventitive.

Gastroguard is part of the regimen that saved my Willow this summer. Amazing stuff! There is a much cheaper form of it that you can get (if your vet carries it); Omeprazole is the medication in Gatroguard and you can get it in a suspension, not paste. I can't imagine having a big horse and having to administer that over 30 days...as each tube is close to $50! So that would be $1500! (if I had spent $1500 for that plus what I spent on vet bills this summer it would have been an $8500ish bill instead of a $7000ish bill...for two horses
default_wacko.png
) I bought 3 tubes and then switched to the suspension. Just an FYI everyone
default_smile.png

Got a lot of advice.
default_smile.png

It won't hurt to give him a 100 lb dose of Safeguard. Wait two weeks and give him a 100 lb. dose of ivermectin.

Feed him plenty of hay and a high protein grain....Throw in a little bit of sandclear (or the equivilent) and watch him.

You do need a vet to step in if things don't show improvement in the next couple of weeks. I'm still not ready to say he's a dwarf, but even if he is.....he still needs the same attention.

PS: Did you ever have a fecal test done? It would be worth it and it's not a lot of money.

This thread is a year old, so it would be nice to hear how the little guy is doing a year later.

Latest posts

Back