I think he still has worms

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mylilgirls

Reaction score
Yep, I think booker still has worms, he has a foul smell and I mean foul smell coming from his hind-end, he is still itchy to, ( pin worms? ) His stools are good and I have not seen any worms. He was treated for worms a month ago when he was rescued, I treated him about 10 days ago with a dose for 50lbs I didnt want to give him to much... I dont think i gave him enough. would it be ok to give him a larger dose? This is a pic from a few days ago

He is 4 to 5 months old @ near 50lbs, What size dose should I treat him with?

I will get it tomorrow

Thanks a bunch

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my humble opinon. He does look wormy and that belly can also be sand and ulcers so I would treat him for all three.

Is this little guy weaned? How tall is he? Try a 5 day thingy of Safeguard. You can't over dose that stuff if you make a mistake, that's why they call it Safe guard I guess. I'd get him on something for sand as well. There's plenty of things available on the market that are easy to use, try Sand Clear but be sure you do not deviate one bit from the directions, except to lower the dosage to suit his weight. Last but not least, I would put him on something for ulcers. Oh, and a good bath would be good. He might have some kind of mites going on so check his body real closely
default_wub.png

Just my humble opinon. He does look wormy and that belly can also be sand and ulcers so I would treat him for all three.
Is this little guy weaned? How tall is he? Try a 5 day thingy of Safeguard. You can't over dose that stuff if you make a mistake, that's why they call it Safe guard I guess. I'd get him on something for sand as well. There's plenty of things available on the market that are easy to use, try Sand Clear but be sure you do not deviate one bit from the directions, except to lower the dosage to suit his weight. Last but not least, I would put him on something for ulcers. Oh, and a good bath would be good. He might have some kind of mites going on so check his body real closely
default_wub.png

Hi

Yes he was taken from his mon at lest 2 months ago, While he was with his old owner, There were a total of 12 taken, I bought 2 of them. I have had him for under 4 weeks and he has had 5 baths, he was covered in rain rot. I tried a few things that did not work so the vet gave me bedadine to put on him & leave it on for 10 min., he told me to do it every 3 to 4 days. So that cant be the best for his coat, but it has the rin rot just about gone after 2 weeks. I am going to the feed store in a bit & I will pic up some stuff for sand & ulcers ( if they have it ). Oh he is 24 - 25 inches tall.

Thank You for the info

He looks to be more than 50 lbs. If you give less than the recommended dosage you are actually not helping. IMHO I think you could treat him for 100 lbs. and be fine. And safeguard, as recommended earlier for a 5 day course would probably be a good thing right now. (You could get a vet involved to make sure it is done correctly the first time!)

He sure looks dwarfish to me. His belly could look really big also because he has no back. He is really "squashed" length wise. His head and neck aren't right at all either. I don't mean to put him down but he might have other issues also. Can you bring a stool sample to your Vet to see how his worm load is?? He's sure lucky to have you.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

He looks to be more than 50 lbs. If you give less than the recommended dosage you are actually not helping. IMHO I think you could treat him for 100 lbs. and be fine. And safeguard, as recommended earlier for a 5 day course would probably be a good thing right now. (You could get a vet involved to make sure it is done correctly the first time!)
There is a vet involed, this is his 3rd worming, We can pick him up ( we had to at 1st ) and if I can, he cant be over 50lbs. I did just treat him with Bimectin ( ivermectin ) paste 1.87% and a dose for 100lbs. My feed store did not have safe choice.

He sure looks dwarfish to me. His belly could look really big also because he has no back. He is really "squashed" length wise. His head and neck aren't right at all either. I don't mean to put him down but he might have other issues also. Can you bring a stool sample to your Vet to see how his worm load is?? He's sure lucky to have you.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Dwarfish???? No one has said that before, not even the vets. Maybe the pic??? so here is a pic the day he came to us,

He was removed along with others, they were living off of tree bark, he is/was under weight with worms bad. They wormed him when he was removed and told me that he passed alot of worms, I have not seen any... But with the but itching, foul small from his hind end & ( since talking with the vet a bit ago ) a yellow discharge from his but seems to all point to pin worms. So we will see.

This is a different pic from a few day's ago, he is chewing, his mouth & bit are stright

He is our Booker, no matter what.

If he were mine, I would be treating him with sand clear for the next week. And then in about 2-3 weeks I would worm him with a pyrantel pamoate wormer. Since you said he was just wormed with Ivermecterin.

Also in the meantime a good high protein feed like Equine Jr or something similar would be good. And alfalfa hay.

And I would also be giving him some Probios because all of this could make his tummy upset or stress him out.

Hi, just adding my 2 cents worth. Marty and Muffntuff gave good advice. If you can get the 5 day double dose (Fenbendazole, brand name Safeguard) to target the encysted small strongyles.

What I really wanted to tell you is that the Betadine scrub is so harmless you could bathe them every day if NEEDED. It will kill a lot of skin bacteria. It is gentle and I use it religously for every animal I adopt, rescue, purchase. It also brings out that red sheen if they colored in that direction. What all has your vet suggested? You will find a lot of good information on here from experienced mini owners. I have found they know more in certain situations than my vets by experience.

Your little guy looks adorable to me. He just simply looks miserable from too early weaning and the neglect he suffered. Please keep us posted and updated with pictures too! Becky

If he were mine, I would be treating him with sand clear for the next week. And then in about 2-3 weeks I would worm him with a pyrantel pamoate wormer. Since you said he was just wormed with Ivermecterin.
Also in the meantime a good high protein feed like Equine Jr or something similar would be good. And alfalfa hay.

And I would also be giving him some Probios because all of this could make his tummy upset or stress him out.
Purina Omolene 300 Growth & Purina Enrich 32, Our hay is Good orchard grass mix ( goes with the enrich 32 ) I will try to get some of that sand clear, The place near me does not have any thing for sand they sell basic feed ( thats why I drive 1/2 for feed )

Thanks a bunch

Hi, just adding my 2 cents worth. Marty and Muffntuff gave good advice. If you can get the 5 day double dose (Fenbendazole, brand name Safeguard) to target the encysted small strongyles.
What I really wanted to tell you is that the Betadine scrub is so harmless you could bathe them every day if NEEDED. It will kill a lot of skin bacteria. It is gentle and I use it religously for every animal I adopt, rescue, purchase. It also brings out that red sheen if they colored in that direction. What all has your vet suggested? You will find a lot of good information on here from experienced mini owners. I have found they know more in certain situations than my vets by experience.

Your little guy looks adorable to me. He just simply looks miserable from too early weaning and the neglect he suffered. Please keep us posted and updated with pictures too! Becky

Hi

The vet is the one who told me to use bedadine, Yea he should not of bin taken from his mom, That lady had no heart, she sold his mom at a sale, because she was sick ( like the rest of them she had ) and thought she was going to die. She also sold another mare who had a filly that only has 2 teeth she had to be iv'ed by the time my friend got her. Well I say they were rescued, they were. My friend and another friend went to her home and after seeing what was going on they bought a total of 12 just to get them out of there all were sick or founder & to young with no mom, But he is a sweetie, I spend as much time with him as I can, a few day's after I got him, I had to have the vet out again because his stifles were sticking so we have to walk him as much as we can up hills. I will keep every one posted

Thanks to all

Mylilgirls, don't feed the Enrich 32 AND Omoline 300. One or the other, and Omoline 300 would be best. I feed Enrich 32 only with very good meadow/Timothy mix grass hay. I did a lot of research on Purina products, in particular the ration balancers. At this point and at his index of health at this point and all he has been through keep it simple. You can research *ration balancers* on this forum and it will come up with lots of info especially my previous post on balancers and measurements. Give him time to adjust, the probiotic paste Probios is very good, another little item I use with wormings, stress, after anitbiotic use ect. They also have the dehydrated probiotics, Opti-(something). You can go online and order too. JMHO Good luck!

Mylilgirls, don't feed the Enrich 32 AND Omoline 300. One or the other, and Omoline 300 would be best. I feed Enrich 32 only with very good meadow/Timothy mix grass hay. I did a lot of research on Purina products, in particular the ration balancers. At this point and at his index of health at this point and all he has been through keep it simple. You can research *ration balancers* on this forum and it will come up with lots of info especially my previous post on balancers and measurements. Give him time to adjust, the probiotic paste Probios is very good, another little item I use with wormings, stress, after anitbiotic use ect. They also have the dehydrated probiotics, Opti-(something). You can go online and order too. JMHO Good luck!
Ok no more Enrich 32 in his Omoline 300, I was only putting in maybe 1oz with his Omoline 2 times a day. I did that because.. Down the road he will be on that like the others & I was just going to slowly get there. I will hold off and only give Omoline 300. I am giving him 7 oz.( weighed on a scale ) 2 times a day, Please let me know if you think that is to little or to much

Thanks a bunch

Yup, that first picture doesn't do anything for him! Sorry I called him "dwarfish". You have to admitt, his neck looks horribly short and his head looks like it has the "dome" forhead. The other pictures are much better!!!! Worms can be stubborn!! Sounds like your on the right track and will have him healthy in no time!!!!! He is a cutie for sure!!!!!!

Well the Omolene 300 is around 16% protein. Have you had your hay tested for protein and calcium/phosphorus? That would be nice to know. I don't feed anything under 16% for the first year after weaning, has made a huge difference in feed program for foals - 1 year.

If he weighs around 50 lbs. (I would guess a bit more by now, if you can still lift him, I would weigh yourself first and then pick him up and weigh the two of you together, or take him into the vet clinic and put him on the dog scale.) Then 7 oz. twice a day should be good for feed.

How much hay are you feeding?

Good idea for weighing as little as he still is to weigh yourself on a scale and then him. Also the mini horse info pages on the home page have two good calculations for estimating weight. I tried them both several times and they came very close to what the vet's scale for doggies was. All three would give you a good idea to use for anything passing his little lips! The Omoline should have some weight

recommendations. Let me find my printouts.......yes, 1 lb per day of the 300 with 0.6 lbs hay which is roughly a little more than 1/2 lb. That is the recommendation for their miniature horses, and at a 60lb weanling. Now the Purina Equine Jr. is a complete feed and they recommend 1.9 lbs daily with hay. I think you are on the right feeding track. And once the initial bathing, worming, probiotic, and whatnots are poured in and on him, LOL, start a sand clear. This is because he probably picked at dirt being hungry and feeling bad. Everything gradually is key, but if your like me you want to run out and start *doctoring all at once* and have a friend who wakes up looking healthy and happy. Brushing would give him gratification, help his haircoat, and lets him know he has a grooming buddy. Your on the right track, just slowly increase his Omoline over 7 days and watch his poo. You could probably give him a little more hay if judging hard. My hay is fine and 1/2 lb is so little it is hard to imagine, a large handful. That is why I have a very puffy 2 year old out there. I didn't weigh the new batch of hay.

One bag of the Omoline 300 will last a long time, if it were me I would keep hin on it for 12 to 18 months, then gradually change to Enrich 32. It really adds a topline and gives them all they need after the first year. I was surprised, even my big 2 year old mustang looked better and filled out on top, finally! I also use pellets Timothy/alfalfa blend to mix in the Enrich 32 or meds/supplements if that comes up. Some people use oats. I also use flax, human kind I grind because I can't find the other. And BOSS was something else I learned about on here. Never heard of it before, when I found out that BOSS stood for black oil sunflower seeds, I thought REALLY? I got a 50lb bag at Wal mart for very little and my big horses and the older minis love it and it makes their coats look great. But it adds weight to mine if I feed too much. Big horses get 1 cup daily. So ..... a lot to digest. Good Luck!!!

If this is a case of worm belly, how long after I give the wormer will I see him pass worms?

I can't answer that, but my first weanling had a belly, and like most people new to minis, I kept cutting back, then I realized he needed more protein than he was getting, and a hay belly is pretty normal from grass hay in minis. Lots of people write on here asking how to get rid of it, I believe those who show feed more of concentrated and complete feeds with exercise programs to streamline their show horses. Search "The Best of..." and you should get lots of answers.

when I see a belly like that, my first question is- what are you feeding? the belly looks like an malnorished baby(bloated stomach) as you've seen rescue groups on tv for. He needs more and the 'right' nutrition. I saw 6+ horses at the last show look like this and then I saw what they were feeding. ugh. Start from the beginning and go from there. one little medicine isnt going to cure him and let a vet look at him, could be something else going on in there too. But you need to change your feeding program. when I got Jr( my yearling) he looked horrible, pot belly, ugly dull coat. So for example- Twice a day- my yearling is getting one cup dry beet pulp(soaked), 2 cups crimped oats, 6 oz alfalfa cubes, 1/4 cup Enrich 32, daily wormer, 6cc body builder and a handful of loose nice grass hay.. he is a bit chunky at the moment, but he has a 13 hr drive to World in a couple days and he will drop about 10 lbs during the trip.

JRSdakota1-1.jpg

I just had to say this, I think when I was scanning down, I saw you said you were using Omolene? then build him up to- use 2-3 cups Omolene , 1/4 cup Enrich 32, 2 cups crimped, rolled oats.(just a runned over oat). 6-8 oz alfalfa hay or better yet cubes, you can weigh them. and start with a cup of beet pulp and move him up to 1 1/2 cups beet pulp measured dry, but soak it. do this gradual change in about 5-7 days, write it down so you know what the schedule looks like and get him on a daily wormer, it looks expensive at first, but a healthy horse is a happy horse and a lot less trips to the vet. Another thing, people will say - well this isnt a show horse- so then what, you are supoose to feed them crap, do attorneys and doctors eat different high quality foods than a blue collar worker, NO, we all must eat healthy, no matter what you do.

Once you get him where he needs to be, you will see what needs to be cut back from there, but better to have a little chunky than malnourished. Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back