I talked with Bob tonight about Aurora...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Sunny...exactly what I was thinking and feeling but was afraid to type. Glad someone has the guts to say so and not afraid to take the heat. :bgrin

[ However, the Forum is not the end-all and be-all that some seem to think it is. .
I agree with this (look at that sunny we are agreeing
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033: )and not even discussing this post but as a general statement really even those here who believe they know it all really dont always in fact sometimes they are quite wrong

There is great advice here, things to bring to your vet and discuss but there is and has also been not only horrible advice given here but flat out dangerous advice

Just cause it is writing here on the forum doesnt make it fact we have to all remember that

Lisa i couldn't agree more,

i keep my horses stalled for most of the day, and they have all there shots,food and water, clean bedding, get out everyday.....yet Ive been told that my horses are a case for cruelty.....it broke my heart to hear it.......i love my horses more than anything apart from my family of course.....i think that sometimes people can say things too easily without thinking of the consequences of there words

and also comments can have such an influence in peoples minds and have devastating results, i think that Bob really did try to help this mare or he wouldn't have taken her in , the first place, i wish you |Bob and Milo , a really happy ending with this i really do

i rescued a thoroughbred two years ago in appalling conditions, and she was emaciated, I'm sure if anyone had seen her they would have reported me......i eventually got her weight up and she looked fantastic, but instead of attacking Bob maybe we should be attacking the people who let her get like this in the first place!!!

oh and my mare was bred accidental also...but i will take full responsibility for her foal. and keep it for life

Who here is perfect?

Who here has NEVER made some type of mistakes while owning horses?

Who here has been to his farm and SEEN?

Who here has the right to judge?

Since I am not perfect, made my own mistakes, never been to his farm and for sure am not the judge, I am only responded here to the other 30+ people who have judged, but maybe you have ALL been to his farm and I shouldn't say anything.

I think they have learned and are correcting the problem.

And we all need to come back down to earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judy (Sunny),

I commend you for your courage, honesty, and kindness.

Many times over the years I have felt the things you stated, while reading certain threads.

If truth be told, I think most of us have probably.

Susan O.

THANK YOU JUDY

This is what I wrote the other day on the other thread and I stand by it

Please tell Bob for me Judy

Hey Lori, I always did love you and this is another reason why.........Thank you for stepping up like you are and taking this on. You are very brave to tackle these problems and generous.

And guys, please don't get on Bob anymore ok?

There is not one of us here that has not screwed up and will continue to screw up in the future one way or the other. He loves his horses enough to let Aurora go and if that doesn't say enough well..........it does. I'm sure he is feeling very down and hurt right now and just didn't realize the problem until it was pointed out to him. Now it has and it's being fixed so please, let's be ready to welcome him back with open arms when his new baby is born!

For the record, I do not thing Bob is stupid or didn't care or anything that he feels some people thought. I do think he did what he thought was best. We all have made mistakes. I know I sure have but we learn from them and I hope everything goes well for his mare and the coming foal. I admire him for taking the steps to let things get on the right path with Lori's help
default_yes.gif
:

Hmmm, I must add I went and read the entire post by Bob and each and every comment and I really think most people were offering advice and showing concern for a mare that looks undernourished.

Some people on the forum are more direct than others and some are not overly PC but I don't think they were trying to hurt Bob's feelings?

Certainly, from the pictures Aurora looks thin and in need of more feed.........I don't know Bob or the mare and so I can't make a judgement other than from the photos.

However, simply saying she looks thin and needs more groceries does not mean I think Bob is a cruel horrible person, in fact, If I remember rightly he has a big heart as he rescued this little mare.

That said EVERYONE can be a bit misguided or slow to get assistance!!

I have made mistakes, I am sure many BUT I really appreciate my outspoken friends/fellow mini owners who have told me what I am doing wrong because I learned from it!!!

I do feel when you buy a horse you become solely responsible for their care and wellbeing and must accept this responsibilty fully. Although we all make mistakes it is awfully upsetting when an animal suffers because of it. Looking back my first minis were underfed because my vet(not my current one!) told me they needed no grain
default_wacko.png
:

Of course, we shouldn't be overly judgemental but sometimes on the forum all you have to go on is a picture.

I am glad that Aurora is being well taken care of & I commend Bob for making the decision that is best for her.....I am sure it was a difficult one.

It sounds like little Aurora may not take well to being a broodmare.

Thanks for the update on Bob. I'm sorry he's going through this. I don't doubt that he's hurt and angry. I didn't post any judgements about him on the Aurora thread and in keeping with that same plan, I'm not going to post any judgements of those who did. The good news is that Aurora is getting some help and great care and will hopefully pull through and have a healthy baby as well.
Bob posting Aurora's pictures was a good thing. She's getting help and it made me take a much closer look at my pregnant mares - just to make sure.

Ditto Pam! i have one mare that is a terribly hard keeper... no matter how much food she has, she is just built thin. her mom and sister are chunky... i guess it's just her build to be "super dainty". she gets fed separate to make sure she gets all hers,and gets extra... maybe i should have named her Twiggy :new_shocked:

I have debated long and hard with myself, in regards to replying to these posts, but decided I am going to say what is on my mind.

First of all, I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not posting this in a judgemental fashion, directed towards Bob. I do not know Bob personally, but he does sound like a very caring owner, that truely has a huge heart and loves his horses dearly! That said however, I do want to respond to some statements/thoughts posted in the recent mixture of topics here these past few days.

First off, when Bob originally posted the pics of Aurora asking about her pregnancy, he did so without seeming worried or concerned at all about the body condition of this mare. So that was the FIRST thing to make people speak out...that is, their CONCERN for the animal, when they could clearly see something was wrong.

Some folks said things to the effect of, Sure, it was said...it needed to be said, but once or twice would have been sufficient. He didn't need 30 people all saying the same thing. And with that, I disagree! If 2 people had gently made comments on her condition, nothing more would have been done about it. It was BECAUSE those 30 people voiced their concerns that something WAS done about it. It was those 30 people voicing their concerns that prompted Lori to offer, and Bob to accept the offer! (and this I might add, is a GOOD thing, and not meant as a slam towards you Bob!) It's just that sometimes it takes something of this magnitude to wake us up...to see what is before us, in a light we had not seen before.

Others said there was no need to post their comments like this on a public forum,,,stated that these things should have been taken to private email or PM. And then what? Then Bob would have come here saying he received nasty emails or PMs, and then everyone would have been saying how terrible that was, that people should not be doing that! We have surely seen that happen a number of times here in the past!

And finally, my last comment here, is I think the biggest problem with this whole experience is that Bob is a member of the Forum, and Bob is a friend of, and is known by, many Forum members. I think THAT is why people are having such a hard time with people's comments...because they KNOW Bob, he is not just someone behind a screen name, but an actual person! (this is something that maybe should be remembered a lot more often here!
default_wink.png
:
default_yes.gif
: ) If this same horse had been rescued from a back yard somewhere, or picked up from a sale, and nobody here had connections with the horse's previous owner, we ALL would have been saying how terrible it was, and how the owners should be put away for doing that to a horse!(again Bob, not directed at you, only using this an an example here) But because it is Bob, someone known and loved here, people are thinking of his feelings, and looking past the cndition of the horse. Others find they cannot look past the condition of the horse, to spare the feelings of the person...it works both ways. And Judy, you yourself stated it was "criminal" for that mare to have been allowed to get into that condition by her previous owners, when Bob rescued her. So you see, this too shows just what I am trying to say.

We are ALL human, and we ALL make mistakes, and condemning those that feel so strongly for the welfare of an animal is also just as "wrong" as those comments made to a person to help him see what needs to be changed, and help him to make the decision to make those changes. It not as simple as right or wrong on either side, in this case.

I have not read the original post, but just want to say that it is VERY easy to misconstrue or misunderstand an email. There is no emotion, body language, or anything to go with the flat words that are written in a small square. If something is unclear, perhaps ASKING the person who wrote the message to go into either a bit more detail, or clarify in what manner they were 'speaking' in regards to a subject.

With any written message, ten people can read it, and take it ten different ways. So please take things with a grain of salt, ask questions before jumping to conclusions and never assume.

In my opinion, I think we should all be happy that Bob is making an effort to help his mare. I didn't approve of some of the things said on other posts, or even some on this one, I won't say- because I'd rather not get in some big arguement about something I know nothing about...but I will say that from what I've read that Bob does care about his horses and is obviously responsible if he was willing to take Aurora to Lori's so she could get the help she needed. I enjoy reading his posts and I hope everything goes well for them.

Let's try and continue to work together here to keep this forum full of helpful advice and not so much :new_argue: :nono: :ugh: .

Looking forward to hearing from you Bob!

Good Luck

Mona while i hear what you are saying and can see your side.. I will say on this forum things like this happen all the time.

Come on now how many remember a post by a PROMINENT mini breeder only they were new to the forum so many didnt realize who they were. They were in effect called mean, ignorant foolish, dangerous to there horses and laughed at and it was demanded of them to say why they didnt tell "who they were" and there qualifications so people wouldnt tear them apart this went on and on in a 5-6 page thread tearing them apart

Now when they found out that this person did indeed know of what they speak, then it was changed a bit people backed off a bit

Why does anyone have to explain themselves so that the few "experts" are satisfied- why do we have to hear I told them they didnt listen? Why is one or 2 people the be all end all?

Yes this mare could have been fed differently but why on earth does someone anyone have to come here and explain or defend why they bred who they did to whom? or What they intend to do with the foal.

It may be questions we all have sometimes but again why should anyone have to explain to a select few? I am sure we all see horses big and little that we question why are they in a breeding program? I am sure that I have some horses that people question

Why when we see pictures of OBESE horses and broodmares still out on pasture why dont people jump all over there owners about the dangers to a broodmare and her delivery when obese and demand they explain why they keep breeding them and keep them out in a lush pasture?

I am not saying that of course a thin horse or a overly fat horse are not reasons for concern and of course touch the heart strings of animal lovers I am saying that for me and for many it seems it is the attitude of a few and there way of putting out there message(not just in this thread or on this subject) is just a bit overwhelming overpowering and sometimes frankly just plain mean! and the assuming that anyone should have to explain anything to them be it working, clipping, showing, feeding, breeding or horse keeping is really getting a tad old.

Bottom line is the horse is fine now, I am sure she will be fine and live thru this we have all seen much worse horses cases of horses who scored a 1 come thru fine. This person has already done what they can to change things now maybe it is time for the rest of us to follow suit.

More people are afraid to post here anymore due to being attacked or being told your fencing is not good enough for me, your horse isnt that color, you only have one that is not ok, you have to many that is not ok the list goes on and on.

How on earth can this be a place for everyone of us to learn and share if there is a consistent few "attacking" others and pushing that there way is the only way attitude -again I am NOT TALKING ON THIS ISSUE but on many issues lately

If we dont make this a comfortable place then we surely wont be teaching or helping those that may need it the most. It then becomes a vicious cycle- yes not everything will be what one wants to hear but peoples feelings do matter - none of us including myself are perfect sometimes we do things to hurt others but when it is the same over and over well really it drives more away then it helps

Last edited:
Lisa, I guess the simple answer to all of your questions, would be one of your very own favorite sayings, and that would be... "because we are so passionate about our horses".
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Its all in the way you say it.

There are 2 people in particular that I think of as being very knowledgeable, experienced horse persons on this forum. One of them comes on and says things like you must, and I am the only one that is correct, and I know everything (or at least that is the way they come off) in a most rude and abusive manner and the other quietly and respectfully gives her opinion or advice and leaves it at that. By the advice and opinions they have both given I can tell they are BOTH good horse people but I am far more likely to listen to the second than the first just because of the way it is voiced. As a matter of fact I am often likely to scoffaw what the first person says and not bother reading just because of their rude manner. It is a real shame because I know I am not alone and I think this person does really have a lot to contribute.

Judy I don't know yourself or Bob but he is lucky to have you. :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I want to see more pictures of Tonto hanging out in the house with you!

I am looking forward to hearing from Bob... loved his posts about Tonto's "runners" (Mercy needs two pair for her service work!) and how his "kids" like Timbits.

I look forward to a post about Aurora's impending baby.
default_yes.gif
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

One of them comes on and says things like you must, and I am the only one that is correct, and I know everything (or at least that is the way they come off) in a most rude and abusive manner and the other quietly and respectfully gives her opinion or advice and leaves it at that. By the advice and opinions they have both given I can tell they are BOTH good horse people but I am far more likely to listen to the second than the first just because of the way it is voiced. As a matter of fact I am often likely to scoffaw what the first person says and not bother reading just because of their rude manner. It is a real shame because I know I am not alone and I think this person does really have a lot to contribute.

Well now that sure is exactly what I was trying to say in a much shorter, more understandable way THANKS :aktion033:

So those that read my long winded post that sort of rambled a bit...

WHAT SHE SAID!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Bob's Girlfriend here (Kathy)

I would just like to say to everyone that Bob loves both his horses very much. If he realized anything was wrong with either he would rather starve and pay a vet than let either one suffer. If you see someone everyday you don't notice they have lost weight until it is very noticeable. Both him and I didn't notice until it was pointed out, and then something was done almost immediatly. I appreciate everyone that has stuck up for him. And especially Lori for her help. We are new to this and are learning and we do make mistakes, but is anyone of you perfect? I will shut up now before I end up getting Bob in trouble. (Or get myself in trouble with him!)

One of them comes on and says things like you must, and I am the only one that is correct, and I know everything (or at least that is the way they come off) in a most rude and abusive manner and the other quietly and respectfully gives her opinion or advice and leaves it at that. By the advice and opinions they have both given I can tell they are BOTH good horse people but I am far more likely to listen to the second than the first just because of the way it is voiced. As a matter of fact I am often likely to scoffaw what the first person says and not bother reading just because of their rude manner. It is a real shame because I know I am not alone and I think this person does really have a lot to contribute.

Well now that sure is exactly what I was trying to say in a much shorter, more understandable way THANKS :aktion033:

So those that read my long winded post that sort of rambled a bit...

WHAT SHE SAID!!!
default_yes.gif
:
me too !!!!!! lol
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

Lisa you do not know Bob and you do not know me.

It is OK though to turn a thread into a rude and aggressive attack on me because you have decided I am rude, but not OK to attack Bob in any way shape or form because Hey, he loves his horses??

Even though they are so thin it reduced me to tears of frustration??

We HAVE spoken gently in the past, just one or tow of us, and we have been TOTALLY ignored.

When gentle speaking does not work you have to resort to something a little louder.

At least this time people listened!!!

Talk about double standards.

And YOU talk about "cliques" and "Forum Police"????

Shame on you- Shame on you all.

Latest posts

Back