I talked with Bob tonight about Aurora...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
To say that Bob is devastated, would be the understatement of the century! He is beside himself with worry over his little mare. He has known for a while that something was wrong and made a number of attempts to fix the problem but, so far, nothing has worked. There are a number of people on this forum who, judging by the cruel and heartless posts made here a couple of days ago, seem to think that Bob is stupid, ignorant, and uneducated in the care of horses. Trust me; he is NONE of those things. Unless you have met Bob in person, there is no way you can see or understand the love he has for his horses. He would move heaven and earth for them if he had to, and he's obviously capable of putting their needs before his, or he wouldn't have sent Aurora to Lori's. He misses her so much, and you can just hear the pain and sadness in his voice.

Some of the comments that were made here on the forum the other day hurt him very deeply. Yes, he's laying low because he's angry and upset. Who wouldn't be?? Wasn't it enough that the first couple of posts came out with both barrels blazing?? Did the others have to add fuel to their fire?? Do you think Bob is THAT stupid that he has to hear the same thing said 30 different ways?? He was very appreciative of Mary Lou closing that thread.

For heaven's sake, people! There are a few of you who really need to BACK OFF when it comes to criticizing and passing judgement on people in the name of "helping". As I pointed out to one of the worst offenders yesterday, a little compassion and understanding for our fellow HUMANS go a long way. There's not a person among us who didn't have the mare's best interests at heart, but don't forget Bob has a HEART (as big and loving as all outdoors!) and FEELINGS! To attack him that way was just cruel.

As the news about Aurora starts to unfold, please keep your comments gentle and encouraging. If you can't say something nice, then just shut up. Even though there are some of you who are sure they know everything better, we all must trust that the mare will be getting the best of care and, God willing, will recover fully and give Bob a beautiful, healthy baby.

To say that Bob is devastated, would be the understatement of the century! He is beside himself with worry over his little mare. He has known for a while that something was wrong and made a number of attempts to fix the problem but, so far, nothing has worked. There are a number of people on this forum who, judging by the cruel and heartless posts made here a couple of days ago, seem to think that Bob is stupid, ignorant, and uneducated in the care of horses. Trust me; he is NONE of those things. Unless you have met Bob in person, there is no way you can see or understand the love he has for his horses. He would move heaven and earth for them if he had to, and he's obviously capable of putting their needs before his, or he wouldn't have sent Aurora to Lori's. He misses her so much, and you can just hear the pain and sadness in his voice.

Some of the comments that were made here on the forum the other day hurt him very deeply. Yes, he's laying low because he's angry and upset. Who wouldn't be?? Wasn't it enough that the first couple of posts came out with both barrels blazing?? Did the others have to add fuel to their fire?? Do you think Bob is THAT stupid that he has to hear the same thing said 30 different ways?? He was very appreciative of Mary Lou closing that thread.

For heaven's sake, people! There are a few of you who really need to BACK OFF when it comes to criticizing and passing judgement on people in the name of "helping". As I pointed out to one of the worst offenders yesterday, a little compassion and understanding for our fellow HUMANS go a long way. There's not a person among us who didn't have the mare's best interests at heart, but don't forget Bob has a HEART (as big and loving as all outdoors!) and FEELINGS! To attack him that way was just cruel.

As the news about Aurora starts to unfold, please keep your comments gentle and encouraging. If you can't say something nice, then just shut up. Even though there are some of you who are sure they know everything better, we all must trust that the mare will be getting the best of care and, God willing, will recover fully and give Bob a beautiful, healthy baby.

default_wub.png
: Agreed Judy! you have to meet Bob before you pass silly judgements. Wouldnt you be hurt if something was happening you didnt know about and you go to post pictures ot share with the forum family and people start saying how bad you are .. how you purposely starved an animal.. actually really upsets me of what some people said ( Mostly because I know bob! ). If it were me and my wee man had gotten skinny Id feel so bad after the way people treated him over it I dont think Id be able to leave the house Id be a crying wreck. Liek I get upset when i get no answers at all to my posts if I got those comments Id be beyond my self.
default_wacko.png
: But i know most of you mean well . And so does bob . Can we be supportive?
default_wub.png
: Pray for aurora to have a healthy baby for tonto and bob :bgrin

Im really not mad at anyone though. I know most of you mean well
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad you have talked to him. I feel badly for what happened to Bob and I pray for him and his horses. I enjoyed his posts and his stories. Bob is missed. No one here would intentionally put their horse in a bad situation. I have had terribly thin horses, because I couldn't get weight on them. I too hope others will use dignity when addressing things in the future and not forget we are all horse people who love our horses. I have seen this kind of attacking time and time again. It makes me sad and if I didn't learn so much here, I probably would want no part in it. Chin up Bob!

Thanks for the update on Bob. I'm sorry he's going through this. I don't doubt that he's hurt and angry. I didn't post any judgements about him on the Aurora thread and in keeping with that same plan, I'm not going to post any judgements of those who did. The good news is that Aurora is getting some help and great care and will hopefully pull through and have a healthy baby as well.

Bob posting Aurora's pictures was a good thing. She's getting help and it made me take a much closer look at my pregnant mares - just to make sure.

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I know Bob, although I have spoken to him personaly I have seen him at shows and I know what a good person he is. I was shocked when I saw all those posts about Aurora, I felt so bad that people were saying all those things. I know they had reason behind it but I never thought that these forum members would go that crazy, I did not know what to say.

Bob, you do have a right to be angry and upset, you did not desrive to be attacked like that. I wish you, Tonto and Aurora (+baby
default_wub.png
: ) good luck!

Thank you Judy for saying something, you really are a good person.

-Vanessa

Thank you Judy for saying what the rest of who know Bob should of said.

Bob, if your laying low but reading, don't give up ! Keep learning and never let anyone tell you

that you are not a wonderful, caring horse owner. Any who have seen you with or without you

sweet four legged children know you would give, and have given, your all for them.

Hope to see you at the social !

Debbie

Judy I don't know yourself or Bob but he is lucky to have you. :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Everything you said was perfect! I read the posts religiously and one poster said something along the lines of (don't quote me word for word)"If you can't feed your Mare find someone else that can........." That is sooooo rude not to mention cruel! None of us REALLY know each of our individual situations or circumstances and maybe asking Bob questions would have been better instead of flaming away.

[SIZE=14pt]COME BACK BOB [/SIZE] :cheeky-smiley-006:

I want to see more pictures of Tonto hanging out in the house with you!

Wishing you the best Bob with Aurora and her upcoming foal,

we can certainly tell just from your posts how much your horses are loved

many of us have plenty to learn (including myself), and are so fortunate to have this forum.

I hope this doesn't make you stay away too long, although I can understand how you feel.

We miss your stories, and I think everyone feels bad for getting carried away.

Please come back soon I think you'll get a big welcome home.

Lori

I didn't post on this subject previously, but feel compelled to say this now. I suspect that some of the problem with poor Bob getting "bashed' as you all think he did was due in large part to how he posted. He didn't say one word about Aurora dropping weight and about his futile efforts to get her to regain some of the weight she had lost. There wasn't one word to indicate that he saw anything at all wrong with Aurora's condition. His post was just a happy post about how small he thought the foal was going to come out. I believe that is why some posted the way that they did.

Bob would have gotten an entirely different reception if he'd have posted the photos and said this is how she looked when I got her; 5 months later she was looking great, and now 4 months after that, look at what's happened. I've tried this, this and this, the vet says this--what would you do? Everyone would have known he was aware of a problem and was trying his best to fix it, and they would have been helpful rather than critical. It would have made a HUGE difference.

I'm sorry, but from what I've seen on here before, if only 1 or 2 people would have come on that thread & been critical--while everyone else kept silent--it's possible that the "advice" of those 1 or 2 posters would have been ignored because they were in the minority--only 1 or 2 people say something, it must be invalid, because no one else spoke up in support of them. All of those now defending Bob might have come on & cut down those 1 or 2 posters. Why didn't any of you come on that thread & defend Bob then?

[SIZE=10pt]Minimor[/SIZE]

default_giveup.gif
:

I am one that has stuck up for Bob although I was not around when this all blew up (I was following it all but not yet a member) to voice my opinion.

What you have said is 100% right without a doubt in the world. Bob could have handled it differently. Having said that, it is still no excuse for him to be treated that way. He deserves respect like any human would expect respect.

I am sure he has learnt a heck of a lot from this experience but I think it is important to remember that we don't all know what goes on in everyone's day to day lives. We don't know if people are struggling financially etc etc so maybe more questions should have been asked of Bob and probably in private.

There.............. now I really will be flamed. Ah well a good way to meet you all lol. :aktion033:

I don't know Bob and I didn't respond to the earlier posts, but I would like to offer some encouragement now. I once owned a "big" horse mare that looked much worse than the photos of Aurora. I had bought the mare in March as a riding horse and noticed over the summer that she wasn't coming in heat. The dealer I bought her from swore TWICE that there was no way she was pregnant. By fall she had developed a belly (which I thought was from worms) and was loosing flesh so bad her ribs were showing. Because I had been assured she was not bred - and figured even if she had been, she would certainly have foaled by fall - I was having trouble figuring it out. I did increase her feed, wormed her, and called a vet to do a pregnancy check anyway. Well, 2 days before the pregnancy check was scheduled, in late November in New England, she foaled!!! The foal (who happened to be a mule) was extremely healthy, and with good feed, the mare gained her weight back quickly. So let's all hope that Aurora can do the same (except for the mule part).

I have followed Bob's posts and I can tell you HE DOES CARE very very much about his animals. I know several people jumped on him about breeding the mare. Well Duh if you had read his previous posts you would know he rescued her bred. I also know for a fact trying to put weight on a heavey horse thats not bred is hard enough. I was extremely upset to read some of those posts and if it was me being bashed like that I would have been extremely angry. I think this is one of those cases where people looked jumped and yelled. I see all kinds of situations with horses on a daily basis and some would absolutely break your heart. The thing is you have to take ALL aspects of the situation under consideration before you jump. Bob wishing you and Aurora all the best and praying for a healthy foal. By the way if everyone is so concerned about the mare why don't you start a fund and send Lori some money to cover the vet expenses? Linda B

Sorry, Linda she turned out not to be bred and he let Tonto breed her, you have your wires crossed.

I remember warning him Tonto would breed the mare, but he did not listen.

To attack someone for neglecting their horse is now cruel, hmmm. I guess I've arrived on planet paradox where everything has suddenly become it's opposite. This seems to be a case of PC gone wild.

Bob will get over it, Aurora may not. I see the results of people who "love" their horses everyday. Shelters are full to the brim from people's love of animals. Love means absolutely nothing without responsibility.

I do wish Bob a good outcome nonetheless but I'm certainly not going to praise such treatment of any animal as hero-like by any stretch of the imagination only his decision to turn it over to someone who can give the mare decent care, if even for a short time. Hopefully, he will be less arrogant and not minimize such severe problems in the future and actually learn from the incident.

Last edited:
Sorry, Linda she turned out not to be bred and he let Tonto breed her, you have your wires crossed.

I remember warning him Tonto would breed the mare, but he did not listen.
She did turn out not to be bred but he did not "let" Tonto breed her. But he did listen Jane. He built them separate stalls and kept them apart once he realized she wasn't in fact bred. Tonto jumped the 4 foot wall between the stalls and did breed her. He said it never occurred to him that Tonto could get over the wall. He has since put up bars to the ceiling but once was enough. When the vet ultrasounded her he put the timing back to Tonto's one time breeding of her and could have ended the pregnancy then if he felt there was a danger to the mare. I am beginning to think that this mare is a hard keeper to begin with and just can't deal with a pregnancy which is why she was in such tough shape when Bob got her as well.

I do agree that love just isn't enough but having dealt with hard keepers before I can understand why Bob, who has no experience with either a hard keeper or a bred mare would have difficulty.

Just a thought.........maybe treat her for ulcers? I had a gelding once that kept on his feed and what not but was a very hard keeper for the first 4 years of his life. I hated bring him out, for fear people would think I was neglecting him and I wasnt.

It was later thought maybe he had ulcers.

:aktion033: Good words Judy & most of the above.

Knowing Bob is all it takes....& I see alot of support here in Ontario.

Hope you are seeing the same Bob!

[SIZE=8pt]& please reply to my PM from the other day[/SIZE]

EXCELLANT idea Linda B. (I'll ck with Bob & Lori over this)

To attack someone for neglecting their horse is now cruel, hmmm. I guess I've arrived on planet paradox where everything has suddenly become it's opposite. This seems to be a case of PC gone wild.

Bob will get over it, Aurora may not. I see the results of people who "love" their horses everyday. Shelters are full to the brim from people's love of animals. Love means absolutely nothing without responsibility.

I do wish Bob a good outcome nonetheless but I'm certainly not going to praise such treatment of any animal as hero-like by any stretch of the imagination only his decision to turn it over to someone who can give the mare decent care, if even for a short time. Hopefully, he will be less arrogant and not minimize such severe problems in the future and actually learn from the incident.

HOW DARE YOU assume that Bob is "neglecting" his horse??? And how dare you even IMPLY that Aurora may not get over it?? Are you a vet? Have you examined this mare? Have you run a full series of blood tests and other diagnostics on her?? Obviously not!! Tell me, how can you POSSIBLY know what's wrong with her? It is EXACTLY ignorant comments like yours that make things on this forum so awful sometimes. Maybe Ashley is onto something with her suggestion that it might be ulcers. NONE of us on here know what the problem is with this mare yet, and won't until after the vet's visit today. And as for Bob being "arrogant", you couldn't POSSIBLY be more wrong! Where do you get off making such statements?????? OMG, you are unbelievable!!

Minimor, I don't disagree with your comments that things might have been different here if Bob had taken the approach you suggested. However, the Forum is not the end-all and be-all that some seem to think it is. He took his concerns to other knowledgeable horsemen and vets, and did not spill his guts here about every detail concerning the mare.

I am sick to death of the holier-than-thou attitude that some of you (not you, Minimor) have.

[ However, the Forum is not the end-all and be-all that some seem to think it is. .
I agree with this (look at that sunny we are agreeing
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033: )and not even discussing this post but as a general statement really even those here who believe they know it all really dont always in fact sometimes they are quite wrong

There is great advice here, things to bring to your vet and discuss but there is and has also been not only horrible advice given here but flat out dangerous advice

Just cause it is writing here on the forum doesnt make it fact we have to all remember that

Is it truly so horrible that some people are more concerned with the horses than with the owner's emotions? Truly no need to beat Bob down but dang--to bash people who were more worried about the horse....this has gotten so twisted.

-Amy

Latest posts

Back