I really need some advice, please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubyviewminis

Reaction score
First mini foal, first foal, and we now trim all our minis because the farriers here are not very good. This foal to both of us has looked since birth like her hooves are way too long. She was overdue and well developed. We have lightly trimmed her twice and gave her toes a little squaring, she is 5 weeks now. The vet said she looks normal, his farrier was there and filed a little off. But I need to have some eyes look at my pictures. I think it is my camera software, I can't upload any pictures yet, if someone could do it for me I could email them to you. Really concerned, we file to what looks like her sole, but they look way, way too long. Now she is going through a growth spurt too, so tipping in or out here and there. I just started her on Rejuvenaide paste 0.5cc daily since she is still a little down on the back pasterns, and she has one acre pasture to run around on with mom and two others. She runs around like a little dust devil all the time and our ground is hard clay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have pictures on Photobucket too and used to be able to insert here, not anymore, not even an avatar.

So let me ask, can anyone post pictures of their foal hooves side and bottom views? Jewel is 5 weeks and if I could only get her pictures on here you would see why we are concerned with the length, and maybe someone could explain how far down to rasp her. Thank you for any and all replies.

I have pictures on Photobucket too and used to be able to insert here, not anymore, not even an avatar.

So let me ask, can anyone post pictures of their foal hooves side and bottom views? Jewel is 5 weeks and if I could only get her pictures on here you would see why we are concerned with the length, and maybe someone could explain how far down to rasp her. Thank you for any and all replies.
Send them to me and I'll do them if I can.

Otherwise, from Photobucket, just manually type round your html code and it should come up.

I had no end of trouble with the new system so I do it manually now

av-2469-1.gif

Yep, that works!

Otherwise

you have to remove one of the //http: codes or it won't come out....clear as mud!

Thank you both for posting pictures advice and will send pictures. I so appreciate it. If I monkey around with Photobucket again tonight long enough with your advise I hope to post them still. I really think they would also help others one way or another. Onward tonight when time allows to spend hours with your suggestions. Thank you

Jane need to see them square on the ground with the miniature standing so we can make better assessments.

Thanks!

The first pictures look like there is some contracted heels going on which is fairly common in foals. I have found especially fine boned foals do it more. There is a way to "lower the heels" or do a "rolled toe" but I am not savvy enough to type out instructions.

Unless its severe we just keep the toes rasped and as they get some age and weight on them the heels get better and start to spread out.

I see a LOT of hoof that has to come off of there. Just rasping is not going to do it...you need a farrier with the guts to take a pair of cutters to those feet, and get those toes down, and quite a bit off the heels as well. It will take more than one, or two trimmings, but if a bit cut off say, every two weeks, you should see a lot of difference in six weeks.

I had one with feet like this from birth. My farrier took quite a bit off when the foal was only a couple of weeks old...he was tender for a day...I put some betadine on his soles for a day or so, and he was fine. It sure beat messing his tendons up, and contracting his heels.

Not sure on what needs to be done, but I do have a question about the second picture. What is the ring around the hoof where it looks indented? We have a 2 month-old colt that has the same thing and I was just curious.

That happens when they get different or better nutrition. I don't think a lot of heel needs to come off, but some toe would help the heel spread. I would find a farrier for a couple months to help out.

Perhaps some of the information on this site will help you: Barefoot for Soundness. If you go to the More Topics page and scroll down there is even a section that addresses foal hoofs in particular.

Thank you! We trim all our adult minis, had help from an experienced farrier, some had never been trimmed ! They are all now normal and have beautiful hooves. Just never knew with the newborn and if the other farrier and vet said TWICE she was fine, I was really upset.

The growth like she said is a change in nutrition or conditions, that is where Jewel's new growth was, and at first she was down on her pasterns, but not bad. She was very overdue and filled out at birth, and she also had that front leg pinned and we had to deliver with it back. Took a day and night for that leg to straighten back.

I sent Charlotte pictures of this foal at 2 days, and now I know for sure she had overgrown even then and we just were not sure how much or if we should at all trim her so young. I am learning a lot.

Considering all and looking at some pictures someone sent, where her heel should actually be is where we thought, but then all the *experts* said no. Her frog is really shedding now, so we will start trimming her more tonight, just had to figure out where. We also do a barefoot trim on our saddle horses with mustang rolls and do not shoe. Both were flared, overgrown, tender, thing soled horses when we got them. But LARGE horses have a definitive sole to work with lol.

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL!! Dear husband said he thought exactly what some of you have said.

Beck

default_aktion033.gif
Just came in from nipping and trimming almost 1/4 inch from baby Jewel, she isn't sore and ran around afterwards with a new lilt to her step! She is up on her hooves more like she should have from the beginning. She was such a good girl. Again, thank you so much for all the advice and emails. I should have asked on here first and followed our own gut feelings instead of those who are not really experienced with miniature hooves. We will continue trimming excess and toe every two weeks now.

I am still surprised that some foals are born needing some trimming right away. Food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back