I need to ask your opinion on something...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontherisefarm

Reaction score
Do you think that if you had a stallion that you had for less than a year, didnt show him or put him in training but you bred him to some mares (possibly show mares ) do you think it makes him more valuable ? He doesnt have any foals on the ground as of yet so nothing proven but do you think you could sell him and get alot more money than you paid ? ( I am not talking about anything I own )

Possibly, if he was sold at too low a price when purchased. Also, if the mares are confirmed in foal then he's fertile so that's a "known" now.

With my own horses, I have two mares that I got for FAR less than I feel they are worth (as nice as the mares I've paid 3x for -- one is also very well bred and the other an excellent driving horse as well as both nice brooodmares). But I was "at the right place at the right time" in each instance.

If it is a horse you sold, I would try and not let it bother you. Many people put prices on horses they're unlikely to get and if they do, it just means someone else really wanted him and hopefully he will be in good hands. Try to figure you got what you wanted at the time, and now it's out of your hands.

It would not make him more valuable (one can always sell an unused stallion with a breeding test. It does not take much for the vet to get a sample to see if the stallions semen is good).

If the resulting foals are really nice and perhaps they do some nice winning in the show ring, then yes, his value could go up.

Well... this just sounds hypothetical. We don't know the stallion's breeding, conformation, movement talent, etc. or how much he sold for versus the current market.

That said... let's go hypothetical... you pick up a stallion at an auction for $500, unshown. He's really solid in conformation and his movement is amazing. You breed him to some of your show mares. You get some professional pictures of him. One of his foals the next year goes National Grand Champion and two others go National Champion.

I bet then, you could sell the stallion for more than the $500 you have into him.

On the flip side... you take that $500 stallion and breed him to some of your show mares. He throws colts with bad bites, dwarfism characteristics, and/or retained testicles.

I bet in that case, you couldn't get the $500 you paid for him. Maybe as a gelding though, if he himself was show quality.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to say much the same as Jill.

Possibly--not because of the breeding, though at least that does mean he's fertile (if mares are confirmed in foal) and (hopefully) that he's been well started in mannerly breeding habits--

As Jill said, if he happened to be sold for a low price the first time around.... the owner now may be able to sell him for more money. Depends too on other things--what kind of condition was he in when he was sold last time? If he happened to be too thin, or too fat, or too hairy--if the previous owner didn't know how to present him well in photos or to potential buyers that looked at him in person--if the previous owner happened to be an unknown breeder or someone that lived in an out-of-the-way location and couldn't attract potential buyers--any of these or a combination of several could have resulted in the horse selling for a lower price than his true worth, and in that case it is entirely possible for the current owner to improve on any of those things and sell the horse for more money. It has happened before & will surely happen again!

There are some people that can buy for a low price, take the horse home, feed him up (or slim him down) and get him in ideal condition, get some good photos of him, present him just "so" to potential buyers, talk a good sales pitch, and sell him for a lot more money than they paid for him. Heck, there are some who don't have to do much more than talk a good sales pitch and they can sell almost any horse for a profit!
default_laugh.png

Sometimes all it takes is for the seller to have a big (or at least well known) name in the industry, and people will assume any horse that person owns is superior to the horses others own....and so will be more likely to pay higher prices to any horse that person has for sale. Such is life. Like Jill says, price your horses according to what you believe they are worth to you, so that you're never unhappy with the price you get for a horse you sell--don't let yourself be talked down to a price lower than you prefer to take (some people talk a real good line when they're trying to get a horse cheaper than the asking price--they can be very convincing about why you should give them a sizeable discount--and often that's all it is, a line to get the lowest price possible so that they can take the horse home & resell him for more of a profit). Get the best price you can for your horses and accept that it's possible that there are other people who will be able to get considerably more for the same horses.

And of course it's entirely possible that the horse may be way overpriced and no one will buy him now anyway! Anyone can ask any outlandish price they wish to for any horse they own, that doesn't mean they are going to get it.

I know someone that never lists her asking prices in ads--she'll make private deals, often for quite low prices, but then she brags to other people about how she gets $3000 or $5000 for her horses. If someone she dislikes inquires about horses she has for sale she'll tell them her starting price is $3000, even though in reality she would be happy to take $1000 or less for the horses. Fact is, you cannot believe everything you're told about prices people want or are getting for their horses!

The only thing it proves about the stallion is he can settle mares. Who cares? There are millions of stallions that can do that, and 99% of them have no business doing that.
default_smokesmile.gif

If we're talking a stallion of the caliber of First Knight Lord of the Ring and you bought him for $500 at the auction, sure, you could turn a nice profit on that. Some trainer or savvy owner would probably throw $5,000 at you and laugh all the way to the Champion of Champions ring.

Anything else? I wouldn't wager on it.

I'm going to say a solid NO. First, there are WAY too many stallions out there any way. And 95% of them have no business settling mares. With stallions being a dime a dozen, I would say you'd probably get less than what you paid for him due to the market. What makes a stallion valuable is a show record and/or his ability to pass on the things that make him great to his foals which result in major wins for his get. A stallion is worthless if he can't produce better than himself.

Thankyou everyone for your replies.. This isnt a case of sour grapes or anything but a genuine curiosity to learn. I was faced with a certain situation that I was trying very hard to understand but still did not make much sense to me. I just needed info to help me and did not want to make anyone mad.

Back