I need some help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Rule

Reaction score
Last night our older dog, Ash showed up with a really gooey eye. He keeps rubbing it, and making it worse. Last night I soaked a towel in cool water, and cleaned his eye. Then I held the towel gently on his eye for a little while. He seemed to like it. He held still for quite a while.

I was wondering if there is an ointment out there on the market that I could put in his eye to make it better...any ideas? Can I give him human stuff?

Kim R.

Suggestion only, I have used a warm tea bag, can help the eye.
default_wub.png
: :saludando:

if he was mine i would run him into the vet. I just dont take chances with eye injuries or infections. vision is just too important

I agree that your dog needs to see a vet ASAP. His problem could be something very specific so just trying "this or that" remedy at home might make it worse, resulting in vision loss or... who knows. Please, make an appointment for him today...

Last edited by a moderator:
If the interior of the dogs eye is red you do indeed need to go to the vet. They can give you an atibiotic ointment to use to clear it up. If it is just gooey, like white lor yellow gunk, then you can clean it several times a day, using a clean rag or tissue, adn no not touch the rag or tissue to anything else as conjuncitvitis is very contagious and will pass to other animals and people. Not fun. After you clean it you can drop a drop of Opcon-A eye drops or teh Polysporin eye drops, into the eye. Within a few days this will clear it up. But again, if there is any redness or swelling in or near the eye you do need to get the dog to a vet for an antibiotic. And if there is redness or swelling, don't try the drops first, just go to the vet. The redness and swelling will indicate a more serious infection and the need for treatment.

P.S. I am not a vet, all statements made in this post are from my own experience and are not meant to be an order of treatment. Just a helpful suggestion to a friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ash's eye looks better this afternoon. I found some doggy pennicillin in the cupboard, and also some antiinflammitory meds. I gave him one of each, and he's not rubbing it, so it looks better. His attitude is better too. I'll continue this, and see what happens. Thank you for your information. Mona, is that ointment an human over the counter stuff, or something I get at the farm store?

Kim R.

Ash's eye looks better this afternoon. I found some doggy pennicillin in the cupboard, and also some antiinflammitory meds. I gave him one of each, and he's not rubbing it, so it looks better. His attitude is better too. I'll continue this, and see what happens. Thank you for your information. Mona, is that ointment an human over the counter stuff, or something I get at the farm store?

Kim R.

It comes in both ointment and drops. I prefer the drops. It is people stuff, and you buy it on the shelves at any drug store. At least in Canada...not sure if it is available in the US or not, as we don't always have the same products here as you do there.

They are a mild, non-steroidal antibiotic drop, used for pink eye, and other eye irritations.(in people) My vet had told me years ago, to always keep it on hand for mild eye infections in the dogs and horses, and where it is just a slight infection or irritated eye, NOT due to an injury it has served me well. It has also been recommended by him to be used on a MINOR surface scratch. Even if it was deeper, since it is a non-steroidal drop, it can safely be used without further damage to the eye.

That said, when in doubt, as others have said above, it is always best to have the aniamal checked by a Vet.

Latest posts

Back