I need advice on going to sleep at nights!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gage;

Talk to your folks to see if either one of them has, or has had the same problem. I inherited it from my mom. I can remember waking up in the middle of the night when I was a kid to find my mom ironing because she couldn't sleep.

It started for me about 5 years ago (at the same age my mom said hers started). I can't go to sleep, can't stay asleep. And I hate to iron. It got to the point last year that 2 hours was a really good night. It also got to the point where, because my job involved driving over 100 miles/day and working in warehouses that it got dangerous. I fully understand the frustration.

I tried the herbal remedies, cutting out all caffine & sugar (except to jolt me out of my zombie state in the mornings), meditation, mind games, reading, music, no music, soft light, no light, wine, tea, and a new mattress. I noticed a very slight improvement in eliminating carbs after lunch, but only in that I'd be able to sleep for about 40 minutes when I first when to bed.

I finally went to a doctor last spring, broke down bawling because I "just want to sleep, just a little, PLEASE". She prescribed Lunesta. I've had a lot of people tell me it's not a good idea, a prescription sleep-aid, but for me it's worked wonders. I take my pill, go right to bed and 15 or 30 minutes later I'm asleep & I sleep a solid 7 hours and wake up feeling great. It doesn't make me loopy or unwakeable (which the OTC PMs or antihistamines would). I can still wake up in the middle of the night to let dogs/cats in and out. I can still hear if Darrin needs my help, or if there's a ruckus out in the barn and pop right out of bed. And except for the first couple hours after taking it, I can still fully wake up and safely drive Darrin to the hospital if needed. If I don't go right to bed after taking it, I don't really notice feeling any different; I don't feel 'out of it' like if I take some sort of painkiller or something. I just feel like 'Heh, it's time for bed'. And I have to say it is soooo nice to sleep again.

So it's something to talk to your folks & your doctors about IF nothing else works.

Suzanne (slept 8 hours and 10 minutes last night!)

There are a couple of other herbal remedies you can try also........valerian is one, it mainly works as an anti-anxiety which could work for you, sounds like you do what I do........you are now in the habit of not sleeping so you unintentionally psyche yourself out. I do the same as another forum member mentioned, I will lay down and look at the clock and say, if I fall asleep right now I will get 7 hours, then it's 6, then 5 and so on.

Valerian is very safe, I give it to my dog who has anxiety about storms.........but talk to your parents.

Another herb is St. John's Wort, this can help with slight depression and sleep issues.

There is also a homeopathic tablet called Calms Forte' made by Hyland, you can get it at most health food places and occasionally walmart will carry it..........this is my all time favorite thing to take for sleep, here's a link to it, Hyland's Calms Forte'

Back