I need advice on going to sleep at nights!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Palomino~

Reaction score
Here it is 10 miniutes till midnight, and I am WIDE AWAKE! No matter what I do, I can not sleep at nights. I work my butt of some days and am tired at the end of the day go to bed, and I end up sitting in bed for 2-3 hours thinking WHY CANT I SLEEP??? I wake up at seven every morning, and yet I still cant go to sleep at nights, it will be one or two till I go to sleep tonight cause I CAN NOT SLEEP! I try watching TV, Reading a book, Listning to music, nothing, and yet I still CAN'T SLEEP! Does anyone have some good advice on how to go to bed easier at nights? Because I cant live like this any longer or I am going to go nuts, LITERLY!!!! I would do anything to be asleep even if it was 11, just once it passes midnight its just not enough sleep for me and I can't wake up in the mornings... I love to sleep, but I can never do it. I dont sleep in on the weekends, maybe once in a while I might sleep in a hour but other then that I am up early compared to most of my friends/ All I want is a decent night of sleep. Please help!

Thanks so much and sorry if this whole message is a mess, like I said its almost midnight!

Gage

One of the drugs I'm on (antidepressant) causes me to be unable to go to sleep. Without it, I can go to bed at 10pm and fall asleep... with it, I'm usually up till 12 or 1am, no matter WHEN I go to bed.

My Dr. prescribed Rozerem. I don't have any issues STAYING asleep, and only minimal difficulty getting back to sleep... it's the initial getting to sleep that is an issue. The Rozerem helps me get to sleep, and so far I've had no side effects from it like I do from other sleep aids (like Tylenol PM).

Before that, my recourse was usually Tylenol PM or a cup of Chamomile tea. I was literally starting to consider drinking some sort of alcohol (like wine) just to get to sleep before midnight!! It's awful! And I'm not getting enough sleep, considering I get to sleep, wake up again at 4am, and am usually awake till 4:45am or 5 something in the morning- then up at 8:30, maybe 9:30 if reaaallly lucky.

And that's all only if Nathan doesn't wake up at night and cry or anything...

All this, and I used to regularly sleep 10-12hrs a night. :eek: I know where you're coming from.

Best bet, talk to a Dr- not getting enough sleep is a major health issue!

Another thing is to look at your food or drink consumption in the evening. Do you drink caffeine? I used to have trouble going to sleep until someone pointed out that I was drinking large quantities of Coke in the evenings. Now, I make sure and avoid caffeine after 6pm and that helped a lot. Do you eat dinner late? That can cause trouble as well.

Go to WebMD and search on sleep and you will find some great information that may help you go to sleep easier.

Gage, I used to have this trouble...if you are interested PM me about non drug ways to help get to sleep.

I understand your frustration. I dont have any problems falling asleep it is staying asleep I normally dont sleep more then 2 hours in a row and that is on a good night. Then I am up for an hour or so and the whole thing starts all over again

I dont have any help for you but do totally understand

I was having trouble sleeping, and went to the health food store. Got a bottle of melatonin, and took it for about a week. Slept like a baby.

They told me if your melatonin levels are off, you can't sleep, so this would level out my system. I didn't believe it really, but tried it and it worked.

Melatonin does work for some people.

If you are able, go to your doctor and discuss this with him/her. There are many many new drugs out there to help.

If you cannot see a doctor than try the no caffiene, if you can, cut it out completely. Remember caffiene is in a lot of things other than coffee, tea and colas. Read the labels of some of your usual foods and drink. If you cant cut it out than dont drink any past mid afternoon.

Try the stress teas or chammomile tea in the eveninigs.

You can also, without fear of addiction, take benadryl or generic allergy med that is the same ingredient to help you go to sleep.

Im sorry, I do understand, I have trouble getting to sleep and if I get woke up by something, then it is all over and it is very frustrating. Sometimes I get panicky about going to bed as I know it will be a struggle. I watch the clock and say to myself, OK if I can go to sleep now I can get 6 hours of sleep, and the countdown begins. Once that starts. I am done and there is little or no sleep.

Also, I dont know how you feel about this but try praying. Share you worries of the day and you will be amazed how much weight is lifted off your shoulders. Once you share them and give them away, dont take them back. If you take them back you in essence are saying, I dont think you can fix them or handle them and I can do it better. Well we all know that is not true, but it tends to be our nature to try to fix everything ourself. Also once you say them whether it be silent or outloud, they dont seem to be so mountanous.

I understand. I get frustrated hearing my fiance snoring from the next room and I lie awake not able to sleep. Nothing works for me...I cut out caffeine middle of the day, took Ambien, that just made me hyper. tried other sleep meds with the same result. I just recently started sleepin gagain normally and don't know what caused it. Hopefully it's just a phase for you. good luck.

Wow Annette, that is some very powerful advice about letting go of worries and problems from the day. Sleeping well has so much to do with relaxing and if we can learn to do that through prayer or meditation it can benefit us. Sometimes I have to start at the top of my head and work down with getting my body to relax. alot of the problem for me is the pain from the degenerative disc desease but relaxing does help. A good nights sleep makes such a difference for the next day especially when a person has a lot of fatigue. Even picturing a gentle ocean current or some other peaceful scene can be of benefit. Everyone needs a good nights sleep !
default_yes.gif
: Mary

Also, I dont know how you feel about this but try praying. Share you worries of the day and you will be amazed how much weight is lifted off your shoulders. Once you share them and give them away, dont take them back. If you take them back you in essence are saying, I dont think you can fix them or handle them and I can do it better. Well we all know that is not true, but it tends to be our nature to try to fix everything ourself. Also once you say them whether it be silent or outloud, they dont seem to be so mountanous.

I was having trouble sleeping, and went to the health food store. Got a bottle of melatonin, and took it for about a week. Slept like a baby.

They told me if your melatonin levels are off, you can't sleep, so this would level out my system. I didn't believe it really, but tried it and it worked.
Rozerem is actually derived from Melatonin
default_smile.png

When my small supply is out, I'm going to pick up some Melatonin. It didn't work well for my husband or mother, but the Rozerem is working for me- it's just TOO expensive. $40 for 20 little bitty pills!! The cost of "new" medicines that have no generic versions...

Don't know if it would for you or not, but on nights that I can't fall asleep, I play a silly mind game with myself. I start with the letter A and think of every single word I can that begins with that letter. I try to make sure that I have thought of all of them before moving on to the next letter. I generally only get to the 3rd letter before I am alseep. It doesn't cost anything to try, and if it doesn't work for you, you aren't out any money, and if it does work for you, you're still not out any money. I have played this game ever since I was 8 years old when my mom and I would lay in bed at night and play it together.

Best wishes, hope you find your sleep soon.

~Karen

Melatonin (which you can get a health food store) has helped me in the past........My husband likes the Chammomile (sp) tea........

Recently, I've had the best luck using the meditation route......and while using that, imaging the most wonderful things or situation that could happen to me in my life.......I will make up a beautiful scenario which will eventually lull me to sleep, thinking happy thoughts.

Guess what? Two of those wonderful scenes in time came true! The power of the mind is an amazing thing.

MA

I have GREAT luck with Benedryl, go right to sleep, am "functioning and alert" if and when I need to make a mid-night trip to the bathroom, go right back to sleep on return to bed, and wake up around 6:30a.m. with no groggy after effects. The one downside is really really strange dreams, for instance the other night I dreamed I invented a "rat level". You know, a level to keep the rats all nice and in a straight row. And NO, we don't have a rat infestation problem, I have no idea where that dream came from, but am thinking about trying for a patent "just in case there's a market for them" LOL

I have GREAT luck with Benedryl, go right to sleep, am "functioning and alert" if and when I need to make a mid-night trip to the bathroom, go right back to sleep on return to bed, and wake up around 6:30a.m. with no groggy after effects. The one downside is really really strange dreams, for instance the other night I dreamed I invented a "rat level". You know, a level to keep the rats all nice and in a straight row. And NO, we don't have a rat infestation problem, I have no idea where that dream came from, but am thinking about trying for a patent "just in case there's a market for them" LOL

I forgot I do take Benadryl alot for itching, but sometimes that doesn't even help me sleep. But yeah the real Benadryl does give me awfully weird dreams. The generic variety doesn't for some reason.

Gage, a pint of whiskey might work, LOL

I want to hire you during foaling season!!

On a more serious side, I do understand your frustration here though- it just makes you sleep deprived which is NOT healthy or good for you!! You might really want to talk to your family physician about it. It would make me nuts too!

I used to sleep well but be a light sleeper, and due to some issues a few years ago, put on some extra weight and developed sleep apnea, which is just the opposite! You can't stay awake! It's awful and honestly feel if my house caught fire, I would not wake up to get out. So, have been dealing with that the last couple of years, and am happy to say that the last few months I have dropped a few pounds. I will keep fighting that, until I get back to my 'regular' weight, as many times the apnea condition goes away then.

Talk to your Dr, really, and see what they can do to help, or perhaps find the reason why this might be happening.

gage pls talk to your dr. my neice that i am raising started having terrible trouble sleeping at college. Turns out it was a sign of depression.

Gage,

As far as the not sleeping goes, big thing would be to cut back on caffeine. When I was in college, my caffeine intake increased dramatically, pop machines were too convenient in the dorms. I started getting insomnia every few weeks for several days at a time. I cut out caffeine and its so much better. I have never drank coffee or tea (little ice tea, sometimes) and I now drink de-caffeinated colas. If I do have a drink with caffeine, I try to have it by early afternoon, then I'm fine; if I drink one later in the day, I don't sleep well.

I have GREAT luck with Benedryl,... The one downside is really really strange dreams, for instance the other night I dreamed I invented a "rat level". You know, a level to keep the rats all nice and in a straight row. And NO, we don't have a rat infestation problem, I have no idea where that dream came from, but am thinking about trying for a patent "just in case there's a market for them" LOL
Benedryl does create some awfully strange dreams. I've taken Benadryl Allergy, Sinus, headache meds with no problems (12.5mg/tablet); but if I take regular Benadryl (25mg/tablet) I have the worst dreams. I didn't believe my MIL when she told me this, then I had some serious allergy issues to deal with and had to take Benedryl every night for two weeks per Doctor's orders. Now, I take Claritin for my allergies, no more weird dreams and I stay awake all day (I take them first thing in the morning, they are suppose to last 24 Hr).

Thanks so much for all of the great advice, everyone!

Just so you know, like some people have mentioned, I am not going to go popping any medicine in my mouth without letting my parents know... I always make sure I ask my mom how many pills I should take and what pills I should take, unless its somthing I have been taking for a while I dont worry about it! I am not going behind my parents back on this and keeping is some big ''secret'' so dont think I am doing that! Infact I am not really wanting to take pills... I was more talking about stuff like Melatonin or naturaler ways to go to sleep! I have tryed the sleeping pills like tylenol PM and Bendydryll and all it does is make me tired and grogy and I feel like I am numb (basicly) and I so I will just lay there, and still not sleep! So I was looking for more natural ways to get to sleep! And I got some great advice! Thanks you all! What I am going to do is try a diferent thing every night untill I find whats going to work for me! Thank you all for the good advice!

I am not a really big drinker of anything exept for water, once in a while when I am at work I will have a little Dr. Pepper or Diet Pepsi but rarley, not enough that it would keep me up for an extra couple of hours at night... I am not a to big of a eater either at night time!

I am going to save all of this advice and try and sleep better at nights! I think once I get into a rutine I will do alot better! Today I broke in and had a nap after school for an hour cause I was dead tired(cause I was awake untill 1 last night) but I am going to try and get me on a schedual of at least being a sleep by 10:30 everynight and waking up at 7 every morning!

Thanks you all for your advice!

Gage

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that issue too. I get caught up ont eh forum its 1:30 Im not tired yesterday I went to bed at 3 !!! :no: haha. Well theres no school right now so I nee dot buckle down. With me its all self control I just can't pull myself away form the forum baha!

Did my post get deleted? Or did I just goof up posting it?

Anyway... Melatonin seems to work for me too...

Just a note. Melatonin isnt a drug. It is a naturally occuring chemical in the body, and available over the counter.

Latest posts

Back