I might have to leave for a few days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justaboutgeese

Reaction score
For those of you that have been helping me, coaching and guiding me through this turmoil for these last few months many thanks. I went to my doctor this afternoon and was given an ultimatum. I have had a weight loss problem ( some people would say don`t we wish) since this ordeal started. Last week during my visit I was down 72 lbs and was put on some protein supplements to prevent further losses. This week I was down three more pounds and given until the end of the week (Friday morning to be exact) to put on at least two pounds. Not that I couldn`t have stood to lose a few pounds but she is calling this extreme. Without coming out and saying it she is "reserved" about my current mental well being. I could not take antidepressants just because the side effects were considerably worse than the depression I have been going through. I talked her out of all of the pills except for some Lorazapam for the anxiety which just keep the butterfly's and churning out of my stomach. My thought are that pills are not going to fix what hurts. When the pills wear off the problem is still there. It getting so I am afraid to speak with her because every other sentence out of her mouth is to go in the hospital until I get over this weight loss slide I am on. Funny, anybody ever hear of gaining weight while you are in the hospital ?? I know she is thinking its in my best interests but this doctor is not old enough to pretend to know what I am going through. I readily tell her I have socks older than she is. Being winter conditions in a house that gets most of its heat from wood means the house just cannot be left or I will be spending a small fortune on heating oil. My dogs cannot stay alone and the boarding kennel (our only one) is closed for vacation now looking forward to have a full house with Christmas borders when they reopen.

Further the doctor will not commit to how long I might stay there. I suspect she is more concerned with my mental attitude rather than my weight loss. Its no secret that there is a fair amount of depression in my life right now but time will heal that over time (she is the one of the many people who have been telling me that). The thought of leaving my home along with all the other domestic issues in my life is not an issue to deal with at this point in time. I further worry about just what my (ex) wife would do. She could be back here in a matter of hours to finish what she started. She readily admits there were many things she left behind because if the neighbors saw larger items being loaded into a strange truck at the time they would figure out something was going on. That would no longer be an issue and when I got back I probably would not even have a welcome mat.

With everything thats going on I just do not want this additional hassle right now. My plate is full enough and my future is already insecure enough without this added anxiety. My daughter in Texas wants me to jump on the next plane down but the house and dogs still remain an issue. The older daughter is working twelve hour shifts in order to get orders caught up so the plant can close for Christmas so it leaves her in a bad stop. My dogs and her two do not always "play well" together. Not that there is anything that can be done about this I am glad I could at least come here and vent about it. Not meaning to be the Grinch but so far this holiday season is not rating real high on my best ever scale.

[SIZE=14pt]Vic, that is a SIGNIFICANT wt loss wether you needed it or not. Please understand that I think too you need more help than you can get at home. Is there any way we can help house the dogs temporarily....is there someone that can come feed horses for you? Please know that we will help you if you just give us the chance.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Vic,

Just addressing one small part of your post, but here goes...

While you are right that the underlying issues will still be there after the antidepressents are gone, they can still be a tremendous help in stopping a downward spiral. Depression can become a vicious circle that keeps you from doing the very things you need to do to overcome it.

I understand your doctor's concern over your drastic weight loss, but I worry that a hospital might be even more depressing, especially for one as physically active as you. I also suspect that neither your doctor nor your daughters can give you the moral support and feedback you need -- I wish you could join a support group with others in similar situations. Sometimes an objective stranger can best help you see where you need to go. Any chance there's something like that nearby?

All of that aside, you must get a handle on your physical health in order to address mental health, and the reverse is also true. Your doctor may feel that it is easier to force you to eat for starters, and she may well have a point.

How about signing up for an online cooking class? You'd have something to throw yourself into and take your mind off your situation, AND you'd have to eat your homework!

Take care,

susanne

Just take care, all will miss you here
wub.gif

I'm praying for you and hope you can get this weight problem taken care of soon. I really hope you can avoid the hospital; I wouldn't want to have to stay there either.

Whatever you decide we will support you in any way that we can. Take care, God Bless.

Jane

Vic,

PLEASE get some help. You are such a great person! I have enjoyed reading your posts here....and I look forward to when you return.

Please promise me that you will get some help. You are WORTH IT!

Ditto what Lauralee said.

Try drinking milk shakes or malted milk to help put on the weight. Protien drinks can help but don't taste as good.

Please take care, and come back as soon as possible.

By the way, I LOVE your new avatar!!!
wub.gif
wub.gif

Robin

Vic,

Could you come and stay with us a few days? Everything on this property seems to turn into blimps within a week or two! I could fix you right up in say a week ! I think its something in the air here.

Just take care of yourself okay!

hugs

Bonnie

You're really scaring me!! That's an awful lot of weight to lose in a short time. Take the antidepressants. They can help get you through this awful time. Maybe they will help your appetite and make you feel more like eating. Please, please take care of yourself!! We all care very much and really don't want your health to suffer along with everything else. How will we all {{{HUG}}} you when you're skin & bones?? It seems to me like you have 2 choices, go to the hospital for treatment or stay home and take the medicine. The medicine will make you feel better able to cope and help you to get through this. There is nothing at all wrong with taking antidepressants when needed. Please!!!!

Geese, you take care of yourself you are worth it!

May for a short time someone can help you out with your dogs and horses.

Anita

Please take the meds......also anything protein, protein bars taste better than protein shakes (IMO)..... I know that anti-depressants do help, they take a little time to get in the body & you do need to take them faithfully, heck I was on them for a few years & felt better & got off them. Now I just found out recently that I have had in the past & are having more now, anxiety & panic attacks....yippee for me.....but guess what, back on the anti-depressants I go, because they also help anxiety along with depression. I know the struggle you are going through, but I do have to say, the anti-depressants did help me make decisions & choices, and yes, it sounds funny, but at the time, my head is just in a whirl & you don't know where to start on anything......the meds calmed me down and I could make a sound decision again. I am a worrier by nature, and so I learn things as I age I guess. But please, please, please take care of yourself, for the sake of your daughters and your animals and last but certainly not least....for yourself!!

yes.gif

Vic, you've got to eat. If you don't you will end up in the hospital anyway. 72 lbs. is a lot of weight to lose and that is why your doctor is so concerned. Try eating just a little bit at every mealtime. It's ok to take it slow, but you must eat. I understand the sinking feeling in your stomach and food does not sound good to you. Try eating your favorite foods, please....

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
I have got the Perfect idea!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Ship your dogs and you down to FL for the season!! You can come fishing with us, and go riding, and we'll feed the heck outta you!!
yes.gif

We would LOVE to have you stop by and stay awhile!!

BTW, go with the Doc's idea's. Not taking her advice is kinda like the pot calling the kettle black here. I had to go to therapy, and yes, was on anti-depressents for about 2 months, and I am a young whipper snapper... I make your socks look Stone age...72 pounds, whee. Treat yourself as you would one of your family in the same situation... if your daughters Doctor told her to take some RX's would you disagree?

I wouldn't got to the hospital either myself, but I am not a doctor, and can't really say much asides they make me sad.

It's truly a shame about what your wife is trying to do to you... you can't lock everything up in storage yourself, change the locks on the doors and say "Bye Bye"??... Just a thought.....

Vic, you know I dislike it when everyone tells you what you "should" do or "need" to do, but in this case I have to agree about the antidepressants. They will take a good couple of weeks before they really start working, but they WILL help (that's the voice of experience talking). Also, they may need to be taken with food and, since you're averaging a weight loss of a couple of pounds per day, you're obviously not taking in much food which may be contributing the side effects you mentioned.

I would love to lose 72 pounds, but not under your circumstances. In my case, though, I'm the opposite and would no doubt GAIN that much weight.
rolleyes.gif

We only want what's best for you. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

As always, my thoughts are with you and sorry you have yet another very difficult decision to make.

I have no idea what to say to you to make things better or easier, but know that I am thinking of you and hoping for you and for your daughters.

Liz M.

Vic,

I can see why your doctor is concerned....that's way too much weight to lose in that short of time. A few years ago I broke my ankle and heel. It took 4 surgeries and 2 1/2 years before I could go back to work. I got really depressed and was having panic attacks. I'm an ER nurse and I thought I was stronger than most and didn't need pills to help. I waited probably 6 months longer than I should have before I broke down in tears and admitted I needed help. My doctor put me on anti-depressants and it took about 2-3 weeks but I really started to feel better and could function again. I'll never forget telling a friend of mine how much better I felt since I started taking an anti-depressant and she said "I never thought they would help with real problems"........doesn't matter the cause, being depressed is a very real problem. So Vic.......quit being so strong.......take your medicine!

Vic, if you have to be away from home for a while, is it possible to have someone stay there and house and pet sit for you? If you know someone you could trust to take care of your place it would make your absence a lot easier to cope with. You could also change locks so you wouldn't have any unwelcome visitors.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!!

ok guys 1st the antidepressives were making him very much worse mean even a hospital stay would feel like a death sentence but your love and support as always takes my breath away

NOW VIC YUP YELLING HERE

we have taked about this you promised me you would eat

how can i think about my healing if i am worrying about YOU?

not fair vic, if you slowly starve yourself THINK NOW she will win

this is unacceptable you will eat and gain 10 lbs by new years or this poor hurt lady will find a way to kick butt

tough love darlin vic how can you do this your girls need you more now than ever

it is not nice to hurt them (and me) by continueing this

i know your pain but you must remember what you called and told me

she cannot win hop on over to texas maybe board your boys down there then you can see them

promise me "a real one vic" we've been thru alot now please
unsure.gif

Vic,

Continuing to keep you in my prayers. Many Hugs, and listen to Dimimore!!!

Back