I may have bought a heartbreak

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out my colostrum bank! Anyone there sort of close?

I have a lady in Rhode Island who has some, if you email me, I will put you in touch. Maybe you can have some there waiting, before she foals for just in case?

I didn't look at the pics because it would have hurt me too much to see. Thank you for taking her! Those people! GRRRRR!!!

I agree, alflafa would be good.

[email protected]

Oh--she looks much better and happier now!! She looks better than I thought she'd look, but I bet some consistent food is going to turn things around in a hurry. I'm betting she can support a foal, once it arrives. I think you've got a few days... maybe a week?

She's in good hands!!
default_wub.png
Thank you, again!

Good luck and hope all goes well with mom and her foal to come...sometimes l really dislike people and wish what they make animals go through gets done to them at some point.

She's holding her own as of 3pm today. She's doing the cricket leg rubbing thing and lots of tail swishing but she doesn't seem to be progressing any further in the udder/vulva area. Of course the vulva can't get much more progressed. It is not bright red inside though. She's sleeping alot and seems very comfy now.

I'll keep you all posted and thanks so much for everything.

amanda

Bless you for taking her in....... You've received a lot of mixed advice, but basically all good, IMO.

Since you put de-lousing powder on her, I would rinse off the lower half of her and rewash her bag area. (Lice seem to like to hang around the mane, tailhead, and backbone. Oh! And they also like the upper insides of the legs....so check there too.) I'm sure she won't mind the extra attention.
default_biggrin.png

With the extra nutrition you are giving her, you may luck out and delay the birthing a bit. This is just from my personal observation, but we've taken in underweight pregnant mares over the years who were in their last trimester....and we began feeding them "up"......and every one of them ended up foaling LATE. I am guessing but like to believe that Mother Nature was allowing the foal to stay put for the benefit of both mother and baby.......Otherwise, you'd be looking at a late term abortion.

She looks more like she is close to foaling than she is skinny. I've foaled out over 30 mares. As they get close their hips stick out because in front they start to sink in and they butt angles off like that. Their spine is visible. They look horrible but it is actually a natural step of their body getting ready.

Human babies drop in the last month. We're on 2 legs, but imagine if that weight was pulling off our back -- our spine would be sticking out and our ribs would be showing.

I've gotten horses that were worse looking and they weren't pregnant.

I think she is in better shape than you think. Which is good for the baby and momma.

If she was getting grain before, you can feed it again. If she wasn't, just give her a cup twice a day to start her out slowly. Free choice hay.

Of course, your vet would be able to evaluate her better.

I think she's close to foaling. Have you considered getting pool test strips to test the pH of her milk? When it drops to the lowest pH she will foal within 24 hours. You can buy them at WalMart. Saves you anxiety until it is needed :)

Not one drop of milk in those teats yet, but I'm trying every hour or so because I do believe she is going in the next few days and I just cannot let her do it on her own. I have the mother's nature test strips and have had good success with them in the past but always had some milk to work with. The stallion she was in with was also very skinny, so I think it is a combination of not enough nutrition AND the effect of being so close to foaling. Will keep you all posted.

darling little mare you got there. I hope everything turns out well for her and her little foal. Thats great that you were able to rescue her, so she can now thrive in her new life. I will be eager to hear more about her progress.

Last edited:
She is sure a beautiful little mare, and with your care and feed I bet she will thrive.

I look forward to hearing about her progress from you and seeing her foal when he or she arrives. :)

Susan O.

Actually, cows milk is actually closer to mares milk than goats, I know this as I raised 3 orphans that I rescued in the past and was surprised to discover this fact.
If you used straight cow's milk you were lucky--unmodified cow's milk is higher in fat content and much lower in protein and sugar content than mare's milk, and is not suitable as a substitute for mare's milk. It can cause diarrhea, enteritis and dehydration. Cow's milk is supposed to be mixed with sugar & lime water to make a suitable foal formula. That is from multiple veterinarians, not just me saying it.

Goats milk with a bit of corn syrup added is an extremely good foal formula.

Alright everyone things are moving quickly here. Here are the pics of this mornings udder and this evening at 6pm. Not sure she's gonna hold out much longer.

Got one tiny drop of liquid out of them, so maybe we'll have milk at foaling time.

amanda

I have a camera but not on the net. I'm on my own with this, but thanks for the offer. I'm going to have to look into that for next year.

amanda

Sending prayers! So hoping all goes well for your sweet little mare and her coming baby. You are an angel - good luck!

Anna

oh my goodness, this is moving along fast. Now I'm able to get 2 - 3 drops of opaque, yellowish extremely tacky milk. I was going to test it and discovered I dont have any distilled water. How was I to know that I was going to buy a mare and it would be ready to foal in 24 hours. wow, life can really throw you curve balls. At least it looks like she will have milk.

amanda

She is a very pretty mare. I hope she foals without any problems. My mare doesn't seem to get much bag until she has her foals so yours may do the same. BTW I don't remember seeing her name....what are you calling her?

I don't use distilled water with the pool test strips.... might be worth a shot to get a baseline...

Sticky milk is a good sign.

It's nearly 4am (UK time) and I'm sitting here glued to my camera, watching and waiting for 3 of my mares to make up their minds as to whether they will foal or not, and I was just wondering how things were going with Carmel. Any news yet? Am keeping my fingers crossed for you
default_yes.gif

Anna

Latest posts

Back