I just dont understand people!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rimmerpaints

Reaction score
I was looking on Craigslist and other places just to check what people are asking for their horses. I was so shocked to see the low prices. It was sad because Im trying to sale a beautiful register Paint stallion and no one wants to give me what im asking. I have been offered 300 to 500 dollars for my horse. There is no way i would sale my horses that cheap. So i started looking and people are selling registered horses for low low low amounts. I seen horses going from 150 to 600 dollars. I just dont get it. How can you sale your horse that cheap? Why would you want to? My horses will stay in my pasture before I sale that cheap. We have desided to send my stallion off to get broke and then i will deside if im selling or gelding him after 60 days at the trainer. Is it like this all over or just where I live!

I am sure there are many people out there that just can no longer afford to feed their horses, due to poor economy, loss of jobs etc. They are backed up against the wall in many cases, and are forced to sell them at nearly give-away prices, with hopes maybe that someone else can provide for their needs. I am sure this is not the case in ALL situations, but I have never seen so many SKINNY horses as I have over the past couple of years. And I think with no slaughter in the US it is forcing people to sell cheap too, whereas many of them would have been "shipped" in years past, but now with the market flooded, it has dropped the prices to next to nothing.

I agree with Mona. In fact, we are in practically that situation. We have retired and find with the cost of EVERYTHING going up we have too many horses. So far we have been able to feed everyone and they are all healthy, however, I don't know about the winter. We have several Shetlands and several minis that we just haven't had the time to do much too. They are all gentle, are easy to trim, of course halter broke and haul great, but, I can't get anyone interested in them. I am in hopes we get a little time this summer to finish some of the ones we have started on driving, perhaps that way we can get them new homes before winter. Horses (all sizes) around here are also low, low, low. I haven't forced myself to think about an auction yet (mini only). I always said I would never sell my babies in an auction....be careful of that word NEVER!

Pam

I understand why it's happening. Here in northern Vermont, we don't have pasture for 6 to 7 months of the year which means no grazing and with the temps falling to 15 and 20 below, horses consume lots of hay to keep warm and healthy. Add to that rising hay costs, board costs (for those who board their horses) as well as everything related to equine care. And we have a dollar that is losing steam (I'm a Ron Paul advocate) and everything else increasing - gas, utilities, food, insurance - really basic necessities of life. Horses unfortunately are a luxury item and require money to keep them going. Not many people have or want to spend that kind of disposable income at the moment. And there are so many horses for sale (including minis) that everyone wants a great deal. My heart goes out to people forced to make these decisions and to the horses who find themselves in that position. It's very sad. I do agree with horsefeather about never saying never. Many people are finding themselves in positions they never anticipated today especially as they are facing retirement with the equity in their homes decimated.

I have seen LOTS and LOTS of very thin poor not well taken care of horses also. Its so sad. There is a man down the road who has a dapplegray mare for sale. She is alittle thin but i asked him how much you selling he said 100 dollars and she is gone. I had a look of disbelief on my face im sure. If i had the pasture and time i would have took her but like I said I dont so all I can do is hope this animal gets a good home. On the other hand It bothers me these horses are so cheap and it hurts our good well breed horses prices because of how cheap they are going. I just refuse to give my horse away so off to the trainer he goes and then I will deside to geld him or sale him but most likely just geld him.

It is sad. We picked up 4 full sized horses out of knee deep mud and are trying to give them away with no takers. Nobody wants them, they are barely halter broke and don't stand a chance. I am afraid we are going to have to take them to an auction as there are more horses yet to get out of the owner's place so we can then get her out and away from a really bad marriage and she won't go until she can get these horses out. Really sad situation, hate to do it, but people do come first.

A very large saddle horse sale took place near me good Friday, lots of quality, well broke horses and ponies. 3 rings going at the same time....anyway I can't go anymore, too heart wrenching but a friend went and horses were selling for $10.00!! $10.00!!! And people wonder why there are so many uncared for or dumped horses.

yea, this is really sad to read . it costs a lot of money to feed, trim and care for horses , and as someone said if you dont have pasture grass in the winter season , its outrageously expensive. I figure I spend 4,000. a year on feed .... we had a bad winter and still dont have grass , i cant buy hay , so I am buying compressed hay from another country , costs me about 4.50 US dollar per horse per day to feed this hay , then add your suppliments ...I understand the concept of "get rid of the horse so your not in the "red" every month " ....

I also agree with Mono, never say never. I used to say I would never sell at auction or on Craigs list, well I still don't sell on craigs list, yet, but believe me you NEVER know when disaster will strike your family. The major bread winner loses their job, someone gets in a car accident and breaks their back, cancer, major surgery, lose of a limb, etc., etc. the list goes on and on. This economy has hurt us all, and to top it off some of us have had to face terrable life changing tragidies. I sold horses last year at auction for less then what they cost me, and less then what it cost me to get them there. The guilt is sometimes overbearing. I have to more to auction this yr., but I need to find them new homes where they can be taken care of. It is heartbreaking to watch them go for a lot less then they are worth. Both hay suppliers in my area have passed on, the land sold, so no more inexpensive hay, we must get it from somewhere more expensive, all our costs have gone up, but sales are down. My friends went to auction, left theri trailer unlocked, didn't find a new trail horse to buy, but when they went to go home there wer four horses in their trailer that hadn't sold at auction. That is how desperate the horse situation is around here. You can't even give horses away, big ones that is, at least with the little ones you will get something. Prices will not ever be what they were before, and the market is influxed around here. I was going to say more, then thought better about it.

Back