I just can't sleep.............

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"City Slicker"

Reaction score
Not to start anything, but if I vent here I'd get banned for life! Thank you Judy, Lori for that shoulder I needed
default_yes.gif
: I'm no stranger at horses by any means and love'em all, big and small and yes the dwarfs as I did have for four yrs and knew I had to do what was best for him before the pain even started, which is what got me into these wonderful mini's. I own an snow white and I mean white, Judy can vouch for me. He is my first full size horse and still is a Arab stallion and just jaw dropping even at 10 yrs old. I use to have fun doing shows with him and don't anymore because it got too political, owners who had their noses so far in air that you'd swear they'd fall over backwards! The awards I got is knowhere near what I got showing Tonto for the first time doing so in the mini's. So I just trail ride him now and has produced some amazing foals for where I keep him. Yes i agree mini's are defentlly different in need and so are big ones! There is easy keepers and there is the hard ones! Tonto is a easy one thank god for that. Aurora in state I got her, I knew it was gonna be a battle. I'm a glutin for punishment. As most know how I brought Aurora back with the right feed program and most unconditional love you'll never know. So to shorten this a bit, after last parade is when all heck broke lose! I stall them in the garage, my garage is not small by anymeans! I have two 8X8 stalls and can still park my truck in it, heck my horse trailer even fits. They take turns who gets to come in the house somtimes both. They both get stalls cleaned daily and strip cleaned every week! When I had to start strip cleaning Aurora's stall twice a week I knew something was up! I had increased hay and pelleted feed, as I know the foal was taking also. It was around Xmas when I switched to Omolen 300 mare and foal feed and still she was losing that top line I had so nice. I took her up to where my big guy is thinking that it's closer to the vet and someone could keep an eye on her as I work days! January hits and she is going in reverse like when I first got her. She was getting 3 feedings a day and I taked to a vet and he say up her pellet feed a bit more. Ok I did I took few pics the day I brought her home for their monthly bath when I soaked her thats when I really started to worry. So blow dry her real good and back up the farm we go, now this was a week and a half before all heck broke lose. We tried this, tried that, she wasn't dehydrated, he even saw her teeth where not bad. She was pooping more than normal. I was getting ready to call Lori and Judy as I figure they have their share of foals and prego mares. The nigth Lori called I was just in tears! What the *&%# I was doing wrong. So now that she is settled in at Lori's I 'm greatfull for that.

Now on the other hand I bust my nuts at work! The heating system out in the shop blew up 2yrs ago as the hot water heater did also, Winter, pipes freeze! The out back is about 15,000 sq ft, now it doesn't take rocket sience to figure how cold it got to work all winter long inside, They put radiant heating in front for them and left the shop the way it still is NOW in this temp. So with all this crap going on I just lost it! I've never in my life burnt my bridges when leaving a job, But boy did this one go down in a blaze of glory! Now UIC is giving me a hard time, Social Asestance is a crock, I have nothing left to give anymore, everyone starts bashing me and I'm pulling my hair out!

Now there is a handful of people I can call friends, and they know who they are, forum and club members! AS for the rest it's gonna take a long time to gain that trust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for my gf, Judy you had the plesure to meet her at Simcoe my first time showing. She would love to see me do the show curcit but since the doctors really messed her up she can't travel any great lengths. I might be able to get her out to our Function in Feb.

I'm off to curl up with Tonto as he misses her as much as I do.

[SIZE=10pt]Hi "Cityslicker" good to see you back :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: [/SIZE]

It is sooooooo sad that you felt the need to justify yourself to anyone here. I have been following your thread and I think it is disgusting that you were spoken to the way you were. It was just not required and not dealt with properly. Anyone that had a issue with you should have e-mailed you privately as that was just humiliating and I am sure very embarrasing for you! :no:

WHY can't people help others instead of putting them down and treating them like a two year old??

This is such a bad way to start my time as a new member but I am frustrated :ugh:

I just read another post in regards to someone who enquired about breeding a mini with another pony type and I again, felt embarassed for the poor person who had the guts to ask the question. Maybe it is inappropriate but clearly this person does not know WHY it is inappropriate and the ONLY response she has had was downright rude (at least that is the way I perceived it).

Anyway good on you Bob I hope everything works out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi , I am so sorry for what you have been going through. I know I am somewhat new here yet and that you don't know me but I had a very bad start to owning my first mini's . I would have never guessed that these little guys would be so darn hard to figure out ! Anyway....just wanted to say that I'm glad you decided to come back and post , I enjoy your posts about how the horses get to come in the house...I am so envious ! I can't talk my hubby into letting me do that and sorry that you got such a bad rap from some here that jumped on you without knowing all that was going on....I'm sure after this posts they will feel badly and feel like real #@*#'s . Hang in there ! I wish you well , hope mare and baby turn out fine.
default_smile.png

Bob, you will find in life that there are people who have "all the answers". The important thing is that you sought help and accepted it-through all the B***s**T and flaming.

If there was a magic book that told us everything about horses, then this Forum would not exist. It takes guts to ask a question here sometimes and even share a pic-someone is always ready to critique it whether you want it or not. It comes with life. We all have to vent to someone sometime. Just don't let it sour your day and go on.

I have read this Forum for years, only started to post lately when my courage was up. Some people I think mean well (I hope) but come across the wrong way. When you are in a bad situation, that can be very hurtful.

I am hoping all will turn out great for you and your mare. I had a horse I lost this year that just devastated me. No one-not even the vet- had an answer until too late. I did everything and still lost her. It was the most frustrating thing I have ever gone through. My heart goes out to you. May God bless and ease your mind and heart. Please keep us posted.

Bob,

I just like to say welcome back.. That post did get way to carried away.. People on here are so quick to judge it isn't even funny.. And you should never have to explain yourself..
default_wacko.png
: I could tell you care for her just by posting pic's. I post pic's of mine just because I am proud of my guys.. If you didn't care for her you wouldn't waste time with pic's is how I feel.. Just blow everyone off, you were doing what you could for her..
default_yes.gif
: You know how you care for your horses and that is all that matters.. There are a lot of nasty people on here and alot of them try to be judge and jury when they have no right too..Take care and hope you continue to post, love to read your stories.. I know my two cents aren't worth much because I am not a big name farm but I too care for my guys with all my heart...
default_wub.png
:

Jodie

I am sorry

It can happen to anyone I have had horses over 36 years and I had a horse last year who lost so much weight he looked horrifying. No matter what I did or how much feed he got nothing helped. HE was sick when I got him and that and his first real winter really just did him in. He looks better now but even on almost 7 lbs of feed a day he is still to thin and is healthy nothing wrong other then he has a high metabolisim.(I should be so lucky)
default_wacko.png
:

I would have honestly NEVER posted that here simply due to the responses many would assume that things like fecal counts, blood work, teeth had nto been done or checked- he has been checked several times not a thing wrong..

From your post- to posts of other pics where people jump on fencing, hooves, coats, conformation heck even color whatever they can. It does get out of control(and yes I will admit that I to have been part of that sometimes)

Sometimes the way this forum has changed over the years is kinda sad but change happens and it will even itself out sooner or later

Stay strong and know that you are and were doing the best you could for her some horses just dont handle pregnancy well - The fact you asked for help with her says everything about who you really are

Last edited:
I feel bad for Bob, I really do, however, there is always more to the story. There are people that DO know Bob in person and DO see his love for the horses, but have been telling him that even Tonto was too thin for ages now--people kindly trying to advise and being ignored. There were people trying to help and advise him over Aurora as well and warning over and over about Tonto breeding her. In the parade pics posted, Aurora's hips poked out and there she was pregnant, losing weight trying to keep her baby alive and growing and hauling around a child. Where is that fair to HER? Sorry, more worried about her than feelings. NO one posted then--NO ONE. Maybe if we had all jumped up and down then it would have gotten better sooner. :no:

Jumping on someone sucks--it really does. But my God what happens when horses die from neglect and starvation even though the owners love the horses? Love won't bring them back! I am busting my tail right now rehabbing two that someone loved to pieces. The animals don't have voices, but we do!

Bob, I am so proud of you for sucking up your pride and doing the best thing for Aurora. I am sure this whole thing is devastating, but I will not apologise for thinking of the horses condition before your feelings. I am sorry. We ALL make mistakes and sometimes we get drug over the coals for it, but we pick ourselves up, shake it off and then do the best we can.

Dear Bob

Maybe l missed something somewhere but why in this country in the middle of cold winter would a mini need a monthly bath?? l read that in your post here and can't see the reasoning .. :bgrin smiling and asking without judgement so as not to offend half this board or yourself any further. And reading as it was said from someone with firsthand knowledge that your stallion was also under weight have you upped his rations and does he also get bathed every month?? No offense meant as l said just wanting to know.

Bob,

My guess is you would've had a better response if you had told the full story instead of posting pictures of a thin mare in foal with out any indication that you were worried about her weight. I suggested that you start putting oil on her grain and there, again, was no indication from you at all that you had tried the suggestions given by other forum members. I sincerely hope that you have a healthy baby out of your mare.
default_pray.gif
:

I have some questions for you though. 1. Why did you want to breed a mare when you knew her body was already in poor condition? 2. Are you going to be gelding Tonto in the future? I'm not trying to be judging but am a little confused and would like an explaination from you.

I honestly hope that your mare recovers and has a healthy foal and that you don't loose both her and her foal.
default_pray.gif
: Once again, I am not trying to be judgemental but as someone else has already said I was thinking of the thin mare before your feelings since feelings can be dealt with easier than a sick mare. I am, however, proud that you got your mare the help she's needed.
default_yes.gif
: HUGS

Edited to say: Bob, I just read Lori's report on your mare.... I understand that Tonto just decided that she needed to be bred and that it wasn't you who bred her. Good luck! I hope that things even out for you!

Bob, Glad to have you back! Hang in there! Glad Tonto has you to cuddle with!

As for the rest of you, why do you have to be so judgmental? Maybe instead of a public confrontation you could take it to PM? I think Bob has been humiliated and upset enough. He has Aurora in a good place now. Stop the harassment! I didn't want to address it, but as someone who works in the school system daily, I say, enough is enough!

Bob, Glad to have you back! Hang in there! Glad Tonto has you to cuddle with!

As for the rest of you, why do you have to be so judgmental? Maybe instead of a public confrontation you could take it to PM? I think Bob has been humiliated and upset enough. He has Aurora in a good place now. Stop the harassment! I didn't want to address it, but as someone who works in the school system daily, I say, enough is enough!
AMEN!!!! People leave this man alone...He has been put threw the ringer already.. Sorry not everyone is as perfect as some of you think you are.. :nono: PM if you want to say nasty things.. Leave him alone.. Sorry but this forum has people on it that just keep getting under my skin.. :no: It is just sad...

:aktion033: Bob, I missed all the fussing, I was away until today, so glad you decided to come back to the forum and glad that Judy and Lori spoke up in your defence. If I had of been here I would have said something too. I know you love your horses and if you didn't take Aurora from where she was, she would have already been dead. Keep your head up buddy and I hope we see you at the February social.

Yvonne

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :saludando: :saludando: :saludando: :new_multi: :new_multi:

Welcome back, City Slicker!!!!
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Give Tonto a pat from me - I love looking at the pictures of him and hearing about him in the house!

Denise

Silversong Farm

Welcome back Bob!

I don't know you, but I'm fairly new to minis too.

One of the things my advanced years has taught me is to recognize common courtesy when I see it. I also recognize rudeness - even when it's blanketed in the form of "help". Unfortunately, the common courtesy thing seems to be a rare occurrence on this forum any more. I think that's terribly sad because my first post here I was frantically looking for help with a colic episode. Several people responded and gave me much needed advice. No one bashed me - raked me over the coals because he was colicing - or demanded that I explain what I was doing that caused it. Oh how I'd love to see that kind of compassion shown on here again.

I think your decision to accept help with Aurora is admirable and proves your love for her; not to mention that it's obvious that you're trying to do the "right" thing.

I'm anxiously awaiting your "It's a Girl" (or Boy) announcement. Please keep us posted.

Glad to have you back Bob! I haven't really kept up on all the posts lately(too busy) but after reading through I can see both sides. I'm glad you decided to put it behind you and start posting again. I'm praying that Aurora has a healthy foal and all goes well from there! Give Tonto a big kiss and let him know his girlfriend will be back!! :bgrin

Hi Bob-- glad to see you came back. We ALL enjoy seeing you at the shows. I do hope you will continue to come out to them. You have done very well with your horses, sorry things ended up going badly.Good for you - Aurora will be fine now. Hope you have jsut the cutest foal to amke up for all this trouble.

I am also very glad to see you back! I know you would never intentionally try to hurt one of your horses. I hope you can forgive some of those that didn't act too kindly to you. As for Aurora, she is in some awesome hands, and I am hoping for a very safe delivery!

Welcome Back. :cheeky-smiley-006:

Back