I got 2 questions :-)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.C. Miniature Horse Farm

Reaction score
Hey everyone I know its been a little while since I have asked some questions,well her goes two more :)

Ok,I consistantly get hammered by this question all the time from Dad, and other people who looks at the minis,1. Why don't you breed for smaller horses thats what the breed standered says(My herd is from 32-38" tall) I just like the taller minis, but they keep saying you are going to have a hard time selling those size horses, I am say I don't care I like this size, and I have always felt that conformation/disposition needs to be first instead of color,and size correct? What are ya'll's thoughts on this?

2nd question, is there such thing as TOO MANY GELDINGS? LOL We currently have 4,and Nike is going to make 5,if he doesn't sale, and then there is a possibility that my stud colt M,might be one in a year or so, I personally love geldings, they are my babysitters,my horses I take to the nursing homes,and mainly what I LOVE to show! So is there such thing as too many? I don't think so,but what do ya'll say?

Oh,and any advice as to teaching people that smaller doesn't always mean better babies/more quality to the foals?

Thanks in advance you guys! Still a newbie!! :saludando:

I like to breed for the B size minis. I've been trying to get my AMHR/ASPC herd going so that I can get that shetland look thats been winning in the show ring. IMO it is harder to breed for the smaller minis that are conformationally correct to their size. Thats why there are so few farms around here that can get that 30" under mini horse. IMO, if you want to start breeding 34" & under horses, you need an AMHA/AMHR herd. Not just a single registry anymore. It isn't that hard to find anymore.

And no I don't think there is such a thing as too many geldings. My 2 best show horses are geldings. For what you do with the minis I say that the geldings are perfect.

Personally I say you are right on. I prefer the taller as well and the market for the taller is getting stronger and stronger. I think, and I am putting on my fire suit here, that as a breed we made some mistakes in the past. By breeding for the smallest of the small, we allowed some characteristics to infiltrate the breed. I feel that in a sense, we needed to back step a bit and get some better conformation into the breed again and then perhaps start breeding for smaller hopefully learning from our prior mistakes.

There is a market for both the small and the tall but I do feel very strongly that you have to like what you see over the fence in your pasture to be passionalt about it and that is what you should be if you are going to breed. This insures the best for the breed in my opinion.

As for too many geldings? Better too many geldings than too many stallions. I also see a turn in the market for geldings and people gelding better stallions and really getting competitive in that field. A good stallion makes a better gelding.

There are many sizes of minis and I Like the looks of the taller minis, myself. I would say in this region, it is easier to sell the taller ones than the smaller ones (30" and under). Reason being is that so many of us love to show performance and a taller horse just seems to do better in the show arena.

If your horses are built well, and able to perform, they should find good homes if you offer them for sale. Even better if you offer them with some bit of training. Geldings are the ultimate performance horses.

If I wasn't breeding, it is probably all I would have.

Liz M.

Personally I say you are right on. I prefer the taller as well and the market for the taller is getting stronger and stronger. I think, and I am putting on my fire suit here, that as a breed we made some mistakes in the past. By breeding for the smallest of the small, we allowed some characteristics to infiltrate the breed. I feel that in a sense, we needed to back step a bit and get some better conformation into the breed again and then perhaps start breeding for smaller hopefully learning from our prior mistakes.
HHP

I totally agree with you right there. I think we pushed to the limit on how small we can get these minis, some turned out to be gorgeous horses, but many have bad conformational problems as well.

I know what you mean. I started with the littles but when I saw Treasure as a suckling 3 yrs ago I fell in love with that face and those LONG legs. She was 38" when she died and my absolute favorite big girl. IF I ever did get another it would be tall again. As for too many geldings...I think that's an oxy-moron! Never too many of those guys!

I agree on both counts!!!

The minis with some leg, adds balance! And you don't get the typical comment of, " They are so CUTE - but what can you DO with them?"
default_rolleyes.gif
:

And geldings? They are wonderful! They are performance animals AND pets!

MA

Thanks you guys,I knew there would be some more of ya'll that feel like I feel!!! :aktion033:

Also,I have already learned that you can't breed any animal for just money,I know there are some that do,however I don't think its right, be it dogs,horses or whatever. Thats why I decided to keep my mare herd on the smaller side,and not have more babies then I know what our pasture can handle, that away if something happened and they couldn't sale,its not like OMG where are they going to go!!! Thanks again!!

Can't wait to hear more thoughts!

If there is such a thing as 'too many geldings', I am in trouble since I now have 13 in my barn and will have 2 more as soon a the equipment can be found to dispose of--so to speak. We love showing geldings, working with geldings for rides and driving. I also find that a broke gelding is almost easier to sell than any other horse on my place. I mean broke to drive and/or carry a saddle confidently and not be spooky.

I also have the bigger minis. I actually just sold the last mare that consistantly has tiny babies. I like a nice under division mini, but not really one under 30". I also love and have many that are in the 35" to 37" range when full grown.

Angie

Why don't you breed for smaller horses thats what the breed standered says(My herd is from 32-38" tall) I just like the taller minis, but they keep saying you are going to have a hard time selling those size horses
................................ What people want has changed somewhat since the standard was written.................. We started in 1986 & yes we also got some smaller mini's. After having more foaling problems with the smaller mares we soon sold all of those & kept our 32ish & up mares............... Some people do not want the smaller ones & some people don't want over 34 so the secret is reaching the buyers that want what you offer. Stick to quality & not quanity & size will not matter.

I sure hope there's no such thing as too many geldings!

We've got 24 of them at the moment, out of 55 horses total, that's nearly half our herd! And only 2 of our geldings are currently for sale!

Add me to the list, its AMHR "B"'s only for me too. Love the looooong legs!
default_yes.gif
:

I like them over 32" myself. I enjoy doing the performance stuff and they do better. I only have 2 mares that are in the 30-31" range. Everyone else is between 32-34". I still like to keep them under 34" for marketablilty, but I triple register everyone which is great since one of my soon to be gelding's has already hit 35" as a yearling! I don't know how that happened when I crossed a 29" stallion with a 33" mare!!! He's going to be an awesome driving horse though, and since he's still got his AMHR and PtHA papers I think he'll still sell.

:saludando: and I was so worried we had to many geldings,lol(pretty dumb huh?) I just love those good ol' guys!

Oh,and so nice to hear others like the minis that are "bigger" my favorite size range is 34-36" however as metioned, I do have 2-3 mares that are 37-38" tall,but I wouldn't take anything for those girls!!

Thanks you guys.

Here is another question kindof off the thread,but I wonder do the B size minis have as many dwarfs as the tiny's do? I am aware that any of them can,but I just don't hear of it as much out of B size horses,vs. A size horses?

Latest posts

Back