I don't think she's very happy driving...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with those who posted about the breeching being too tight. That was the first thing that caught my eye when I looked at the pictures on your first post. And also, the tail does not go under the breeching it needs to be pulled out. I would also continue to use the breeching. I think once you get all of your harness and cart adjustments just right it will be an enjoyable experience for both of you.
default_smile.png

Ian, I've got to say I really do admire your dedication to your girls and your determination to do what's right for them even if it isn't what you want. Good for you!
default_thumbup.gif

You've gotten lots of good advice and I'm going to second some of it. Get her tail out from under the breeching, loosen it up a little (I wouldn't drop it though, it's at about the right height), check the crownpiece of the bridle to make sure her ears have plenty of room, keep the pad on the saddle and put it back a little. I also agree the shafts are poking her in the neck and if you can, I'd get someone with a pipe bender to curve the shafts down and out in front of the saddle. This should make turning more comfortable for her and make the fit in general better.

Here's an example of what I mean:

NewCart01.jpg

It's a little hard to see but they also curve slightly away from the horse as well as downward. Do you have any pics taken from the cart itself while hitched that would show us how wide the shafts are on her? Also, from the way the harness fits I wonder if Aura isn't skinnier under that fur than she looks. Have you tried adding beet pulp to her diet as well as grain to fill in her topline a bit?

Leia

Also, you can take the breeching off and then add it again later to determine what may be bothering her. Its a lot to introduce a horse/donkey into driving when they now have to work on shafts, blinders, pulling, etc. So take it off, ground drive her with the cart on. If she seems to perk up, then put the breeching on loosely at first. Then when she figures that out, tighten it to the appropriate length and work her in the cart again. Sounds like there is a lot for her to encounter. Also, ground drive her with just the bit. I know you were concerned about the bit. So do that and with the saddle in the proper position. Just slowly start ruling out problems she may be encountering before fully driving her. Make sense?? Then when you get to have her fully harnessed, everything should be fitting properly and she'll enjoy it.
default_smile.png

Hi Ian,

I, too, applaud you for your dedication to your donkeys. I have trained 2 mini donks to drive (I used to be minidonkeyny here), I am no expert, but have had a bit of experience w/ longears.

They are different than horses- that's for sure. I agree check the breeching...you want a handwidth between her and the leather- like your pinky on her- your forefinger on the leather...not just slipping her hand flat.

Check the bridle...I had one specially made for my guy- and it went with him when I sold him. I got it from the Iberian connection..but several places could help you there...browband and enough space behind the ears is important...

They will never fill out like a horse...harness fit was always tough w/ the donks...one of mine would be fat on air- the other always was more angular....

The bit mine worked best in was a mullen mouth liverpool...they have a shallow palete so watch a typical snaffle....

I would be curious to hear more about the special donkey bit you were talking about. I took a driving clinic in VT (Asspirin Acres) years ago which wsa a ton of fun....I dont know if they still offer it or not.

Keep in mind to that donkeys are big listeners...those ears back some of the time could be concentration and listening..would be easier to determine in video..

Here's what I finally decided with mine. One was never really comfortable driving single-and the other was really into realxed driving...not schooling in circles and working on transitions....so I ended up selling my boys to a wonderful lady who raised Paints...She just wanted something fun to play with with her grandkids- and calm and quiet was fine by her. Last I heard she was getting them working as a team- as the one felt more confident working w/ his buddy...They get very bonded to their friends...SO I sold them together and the lady loves them. It was a better situation for us both, as it wouldn't have been fair to put him into a mold in which he wasnt happy.

And I bought my BuckWheat...he was 9 months at the time and is now 3 and we are enjoying the journey of his training together.

Good luck and have fun....hope I helped a little.

Angie

Latest posts

Back