I don't think she's very happy driving...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic Hill Farm

Reaction score
Okay, so my brother has been driving Aura so i can watch her go (he's doing a really good job actually! im impressed with him) I have noticed in the last two days she doesn't look happy. Which makes me sad because i want her to like it because i think the both of us could have fun driving. she always has her ears back and she just doesn't look like she is having fun. Is it that she just doesn't like it? could there be something physically wrong? Am i doing something wrong? Maybe i need a different bit?

here are some pictures

100_1614.jpg

100_1615.jpg

100_1616.jpg

100_1618.jpg

100_1619.jpg

100_1620.jpg

453.jpg

6456.jpg

She just doesn't look happy. Like im tempted to stop driving her, Wat do yall think? It's hard because i really really want to drive, but i want what's best for her, and from these pictures she doesn't look happy and i want her to be happy.

Thanks Guys ~IAn

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to me like the breast collar is a little high, you might have to go with a shaped one for her. A shaped breast collar, Super V or a Freedom collar has a dip in the front for their wind pipe plus they are a bit wider than the one you have, making it easier for them. In the very first picture it looks like the shaft pokes her in the neck when she turns, you can try moving her position in the shafts. A U bolt with nuts on the top will make another loop on the bottom of the shafts just drill a hole through the metal. I have done that on a cart, works great. The cart looks a bit shaft heavy but that could be the angle of the pictures. My mare can't stand the straight breast collars, she has a low set neck. She'll pull anything in a shaped or Super V.

Karen

Thanks, i was thinking of a V breast collar. Well i was acutally think of a whole new harness...lol...

But note guys, my arena isn't any where near level. on level ground everything is parallel.

Ian I agree with Karen, your shaft does look like it pokes Aura in the neck also do you know how much weight in on the shafts when your sitting in the cart and does your cart have shocks or springs....I know my mini didn't like my easy entry cart because he felt all the vibration from the bumps we'd go over cause it didn't have any.

Have your brother sit in the cart while you hold the shafts. See how much weight is in your hands, have him shift his weight a bit. You want as little weight in the shafts as possible. 1 or 2 fingers to hold it up is good, having to really grip and use some muscle is bad. The springs in your seat only help your bum, not the horse or donkey in this case. Has nothing to do with the cart being parallel to the horse, its all about weight distribution. Parallel is good but weight is a separate yet related issue. The saddle is also tipping back and not sitting level on her back. without the pad there, is there any clearence in the middle for her spine? If there's solid pressure all the way across with no space that could be an issue for her as well. I would say bring the shafts forward not back, but that would be my opinion, move her forward and back and see if it makes her happier. I am going to bet its mostly the harness thats making her unhappy. Also make sure the crown and browband isn't pinching her ears a common problem with donkeys.

Karen

I agree that the harness has some issues to be fixed. I think the cart is to narrow for her, and the shafts are to high.

But you also need to keep in mind that not all animals like to drive, jump or whatever it is we ask them to do.

Okay so here are some pics from a few min ago.

100_1624.jpg

100_1625.jpg

100_1626.jpg

Okay so that's with out the pad. I could slip my hand in there with out much force. So i am assuming that's bad, what can i do to fix that? she is geting more grain to help her gain some more weight (she don't need too much)

100_1627.jpg

100_1628.jpg

here are some cart pictures. I think she looks fine in it, But what do you guys think?

I have a suggestion: You might loosen the breeching. I don't know anything about donkeys, but I know my minis are Very Unhappy if their breeching hits in the wrong spot, or is too tight. It looks like you've got your donkey's tail under the breeching, also - I'd put it outside the strap, and loosen the breeching a couple of holes on each side so you can slide your hand between the donkey's behind and the strap.

Good luck!

ohhh, it's fine. i just threw on the saddle so i could put the cart on to get pictures to see if it's to big or small. I didn't have the crupper or the breeching on properly. it was just hanging there and she wasn't going any where.

I think the saddle is maybe to far up on her, could you put it back 1 or 2 inches and see how that works. If you have someone sit in the cart and then try and pick up the shafts...while they are hitched properly.....do they feel heavy cause there shouldn't be much weight on her back if the cart is hitched and balanced properly.

Most springs are under the seat.....you might want to try pulling someone around in the cart over the bumpier ground and see what it must feel like on her back when she's pulling you and you can also tell if the cart is properly balanced this way also.

I hope this helps
default_smile.png

I am no pro, at all!!

But here are my suggestions

Get rid of the breeching, if you are not doing any steep hills it really is not 'needed' (dont fire me please!) and in the first group of pictures it does look like it is riding high and is tight against her legs.

Second, what type of bit are you using?? I was told that minis, and I would guess little donkey too, have softer mouths and some don't like the broken bit hitting them in the roof of the mouth. I always use a straight snaffle and my guys love it.

Also... to make her happy maybe she needs something more than just going around and around a round pen???? set up some barrels, bridge.. .stuff like that. Or go out in the lawn, field, ect...

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now Aura is in a half cheek snaffle. And i have been thinking about e-mailing a breeder up in VT (of mini donkeys) and see about getting a special made bit, that was designed for donkeys. I do go out on the trails with her, and in the front yard. I'll didn't really notice a change, but i wasn't really looking for it. I'll have to try it again and watch her and see if she is beter.

In the first pictures your breeching is too tight. You need to be able to fit a hand width between it and her buttocks. Use the saddle pad and move your saddle back a bit. Your shafts are fine where they are - neither too far forward or too far back. Donkeys necks do tie in low so she would likely be more comfortable in a v-collar but I don't really think your collar is a problem. One thing I do know is that donkeys are very sensitive about their ears. It may just be her winter coat that is making it look this way but I would say that your browband is fitting her too snugly about the ears. Can you easily slip a finger in between her and the bridle all the way around the base of her ears? If not I would get a longer browband and when you go shopping for a new harness look for one that is cut away at the base of the ears for better fit.

her browband is off my horse bridle! lol. When i was at the harness shop yestreday i saw a mini V Breast plate, and i thought it would work better on her.

I have a suggestion: You might loosen the breeching. I don't know anything about donkeys, but I know my minis are Very Unhappy if their breeching hits in the wrong spot, or is too tight. It looks like you've got your donkey's tail under the breeching, also - I'd put it outside the strap, and loosen the breeching a couple of holes on each side so you can slide your hand between the donkey's behind and the strap.
Good luck!
I agree, it does look like her tail is tucked under the breeching in the first set of pics. Maybe it isn't, but I know that would really irritate me if my tail were trapped down like that!

I had a mini that refused to drive in a breeching. He would pin his ears back and try bucking. So I took it off and he loved driving. She may just be thinking about it also. Not use to the weight and such of the cart. So maybe she's not mad, but more thinking/unsure. Give her a bit more time. And go with everyone's suggestions as far as fixing stuff. You can also try a mullen bit. I'm not an expert on donkeys. So not sure what they drive in. I got a kelly bit mullen with a tongue roller for my shetland. He loves it. Think he likes being able to play with something (work out his frustrations).

I realize you are all trying to be helpful but suggesting removing the breeching entirely is probably not the best idea. When it is fitted properly and your horse has been trained to it there should be no problem with them accepting it. Breeching is your brakes. Without it your cart can ride right up on the horse and basically push his feet right out from under him. If you have brakes on your cart or you never drive anywhere but on the flat for short periods of time you can get away without using breeching but if you are doing any kind of hills you really do need it.

Thanks guys, im going to see how it goes today. Im not ready to eliminate the breeching because i would like to go out on trails and stuff, so i want the breeching. But i will loosen it and drop it a hole. As far as the bits, i was thinking a Mullen mouth, but the problem is donkeys are known for putting there toung up over the bit, lucky Aura dosn't do it (that often). But anything is worth the try. I was looking at the Mylar bits on Minitack.com, they all looked like good bits, but my jaw droped when i saw the price. If i were to pay that much for a bit i would spend the 40 bucks more and buy the handmade donkey bit, lol.

Latest posts

Back