I am so upset and disgusted with myself

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkoffaith

Reaction score
I came home from a shopping trip today and noticed that one of my girls, Little Bit Of Honey, was missing from the herd lined up at the fence waiting for their hay. My heart just sank because I just knew something was terribly wrong. I went straight out into the pasture searching for her and found her laying by the back fence dead. She had her hind leg/ hoof caught in the fence and she was already gone. Honey is the only foal I have had born and raised on my farm. I use horse fencing and really thought that it was safe. I feel so horrible, I hope she didn't suffer. I lost 3 goats this past winter also do to moldy hay I didn't catch in time and dogs that a neighbor let their dogs, Huskies, run loose and got into our pasture. I feel like I should just sell out of my animals if I can't take proper care of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, stop beating yourself up! Accidents happen, and we can't watch over our animals 24/7. We do the best we can, that's all we *can* do. Sounds like you've had far more than your share of bad luck, and I am so sorry.
default_sad.png
Cut yourself some slack though ok? It could have happened to anyone.... {{hugs}}}

You know stuff happens when you have animals. One of my mares gets out under my chain link fence. I have to keep an extra eye on her. Then she tought (sp) my new mare how to open gates. I am lucky that they havent learned how to open my panel gate. That one goes out into the front where they can get into the busy streets. I guess what I am trying to say is no matter how hard you try, they will always find something to get into. Don't blame yourself. And don't let that make you give up on keeping your horses.

I am very sorry to hear about Lil Bit of Honey - a treasure she was to you and yours. Please don't blame yourself, if you didn't now she was missing, you couldn't do anything. As stated we do the utmost best we can. Accidents happen!

So sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, we cannot keep them all in padded stalls. Don't even think of giving the others up--you need their hugs

Angie

I'm so sorry
default_sad.png
I know it's much easier said than done, but try not to blame yourself, it wasn't your fault. *HUGS*

Jessi

I'm sorry for your loss. But as hard as we try to protect our little ones sometimes things happen that we just can't control. I'm retired and spend most of my days on the farm but you just can't always be there.

OH I am so sorry about your babie! I know how you feel about feeling like you should sell all your animals because I am going through the same thing. I hope we both feel differently once we get through these hard times. Again I am so sorry you lost her
default_no.gif

default_no.gif
i am so sorry for your loss.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

Accidents will happen no matter how hard you try, so don't beat up on yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry for your loss
default_no.gif
but we can't be "with" them 24/7. It's not like you ran off for a weekend and left them to fend for themselves. Hang in there and things will turn around.

Sorry for your loss.

Ive had a similar thing happen with a mare and similar horse fencing.

She was rolling next to the fenceline and actuially kicked her hoof and part of her leg thru the links in that fence..

All I could do was watch in shock as she managed to pull it back thru, before worse could happen..

These horses can do unpridictable things that will even surprise the most careful of horse owners.

Horses are like children....if they can get in trouble, they will. No matter what! So don't blame yourself. I'm sorry you lost your sweet foal. I've had several of mine get out this winter even though I thought my fence was safe. :DOH! They just do it!

I'm very sorry for your loss. Clearly you care for your horses. Freak accidents happen, and while it makes you feel helpless, you can't blame yourself. Give the others a hug.

I'm so deeply sorry you lost your Honey girl.
default_crybaby.gif

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

I am so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
But what ever you do, do not blame yourself. You noticed as soon as you got home that she was missing. You can not stay and watch them 24/7.

There will be accidents and deaths and you will ask yourself why you are doing this, and you will ask yourself that more than once, but then you will have a new foal born or you will just stop and watch your horses leaping for joy in the field and you will be reminded why you do this.

When you raise animals there is always both joy and sorrow, but the joy usually outweighs the sorrow.

Again, I am so sorry.

Latest posts

Back