I am SO ANGRY at my vet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a horrid experience to have to go through l feel so very very sad for you sorry never seems enough for the heartache you are going through now....crappy arse of a vet.

Oh, Kim, I am so sorry you've had to go through this horrible experience and lost your beloved girl. I am praying for you and for the puppies.

Although it will never bring her back, I do hope you get some justice for your Katie and her pups.

For what it's worth, don't forget you do have witnesses to how you were treated.

MA

Thank you all so much. This most certainly was not the way I thought it would be either.

I have cried until my head aches. I went out and got her puppies and brought them in. My friend said that Pixie's milk wouldn't have enough nutrients since she weaned her puppies 4 weeks ago. My husband left here at 11:30 without the slightest hesitation to drive 25 miles to wal mart to buy puppy formula, bottles, karo syrup, and baby wipes so we can take care of the babies. He's taking off work tomorrow to get my Katie for me and to go find me a couple of nanny goats that are milking. The lady I got my dogs from told me goats milk mixed 50/50 with water or pedialyte (sp?) is the best thing for them so instead of spending a fortune on canned goat milk or puppy formula he's just going to buy two nanny goats and we'll milk them.

I had a miserable mothers day, but not at all for lack of my family trying to make it good. They tried very hard to make it a good day for me, but there was just too much stacked against them this time. My mind and heart has been desperate for Katie all day. I am grateful to have a husband that will run to wal mart at nearly mid-night and help me feed 9 puppies every 3 hours.

Please keep good thoughts going for these babies. They're all I have left of Katie and I want to honor her by raising them up healthy and strong.

To many she was just a dog.... to many they are all just dogs... but to me, and to people like you forum members they are our family.... and I will spend what I don't have, get what I don't need, and invest my heart into something that could potentially break it just because I owe them at least that much because if we loved people the way our pets love us it would be a whole different world.

I have 2 other vets about 20 miles away and a really nice set of vets about 45 minutes away. I will be calling and visiting their offices and find one that values my pets well being more than they value the amount of numbers after the $ sign on the bill.

[SIZE=12pt]don't know if this will help but i am feeding UNIMILK right now, it is made by Calf-Manna and is called Manna Pro. it is milk replacer for puppies and other animals also. it came from the farm store and is easy to use and not very expensive. you probably have heard of it but was just a thought, good luck with the pups, NikkiManna Pro: Milk Replacer Recall Not Linked to Melamine Contamination by: Erin Ryder, News EditorMay 07 2007 Article # 9543[/SIZE]

Article Tools

The recall of a batch of milk replacer commonly used for foals is not related to the widespread pet food recalls, according to a report released by the company.

A batch of Unimilk milk replacer was withdrawn after customers reported that the formula turned light gray, rather than white, when mixed with water. Manufacturer Manna Pro worked with retailers to withdraw the affected lots.

"We have done extensive testing of the discolored Unimilk, and test results have not revealed any issues with this product beyond the color," the statement read. "It is worth noting that none of the ingredients of Chinese origin that have been implicated in the pet food recalls are used in our plants."

Lot codes for the affected batch are:

In 3.5-pound poly bags:

• AB707AZ
  • AB707BZ
  • AB707CZ
  • AB708AZ
  • AB708BZ
  • AB708CZ
  • AB709AZ
  • AB709BZ
  • AB709CZ
  • AB710AZ
  • AB710BZ
  • AB710CZ
  • AB712AZ
  • AB712BZ
  • AB712CZ
In 10-pound paper bags:

• A020707AZ
  • A020707BZ
  • A020807AZ
  • A020807BZ
  • A020907AZ
  • A020907AZ
  • A021007AZ
  • A021007BZ
  • A021207AZ
  • A021207BZ
Horse owners that purchased Unimilk from the affected batch should cut the lot code number off the bottom of the bag and throw the product out. Send the lot code to Manna Pro Products, 707 Spirit 40 Park Dr., Suite 150, Chesterfield, MO 63005, attn: Suze L. Include the receipt if possible. If no receipt is available, indicate where you bought the product and what you paid for it and the company will issue a refund.

Questions regarding the Unimilk recall can be directed to 866/489-1500.

Numerous pet food products have been recalled because of potential melamine contamination in wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate imported from China.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has maintained a list of recalled pet food products on its Web site. For answers to frequently asked questions concerning the recall, see the FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine Web site at www.fda.gov/cvm/MenuFoodRecallFAQ.htm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so very sorry to hear about what you have been threw.. They are not just dogs, they are family. That vet needs to be :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :new_2gunsfiring_v1: I can't believe that it took as long as it did to find out about your poor girl.. :no: Wish I was closer, I would help with the round the clock feedings..Just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers...
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

I'm so sorry. I would of never guessed that this was going to happen. I was more leaning to the side that because she hadn't bothered to call that maybe everything was ok.

I'm so sorry....((big hugs))...and prayers for you and Katies's pups.

Oh, Kim! I can't even imagine :no: :no: :no: I am so sorry :no: :no: :no: I'm just reading this this morning and was hoping everything would turn out okay for Katie Bug. I understand that dogs are not just dogs -- for use they are FAMILY.

I'm so sorry for the torment you've gone through; first by not being able to find out what was happening, and then by having the worst possible news thrown at you. I agree that you should report her to the board of veterinary registration. I also think I would be seriously considering sending a "letter to the editor" of my local paper. You wouldn't be able to name names but you sure would be able to draw attention to such unprofessional behavior. Her callous disregard of your love for Katie is unforgivable.

Anyone who thinks a dog is just a dog is missing so much love in their life.

Kim, I am so sorry to hear what happened. I just read the completel post and sure didnt expect to hear this. Report this vet to the state board, there is no reason for doing what she did. Anyone who thinks that a pet is just some ANIMAL dont know what they are missing and has never experienced the joy of coming home to wet nose kisses, a wagging tail, a whinny or a bray, our pets love us and we love them back unconditionally. Corinne

Kim, I am so sorry for your loss. Your Katie was a beauty. Actually I am impressed with all your dogs. Hugs sent your way.

Angie

:no: i am so sorry for your loss of katie. we will be praying for her puppies.

please keep us posted.

I am so sorry for your loss. Am also furious at the person who calls herself a Vet. I agree, pursue it. Don't pay her a dime. She did nothing to earn her fee.
default_wub.png
:

Kim,

I am so sorry for the loss of your girl!! I am just shocked by the unbelievable behavior of that vet!! I would definitely file complaints with the Better Business Bureau, your State Vet and the AVMA. I know you are grieving your sweet girl and hope the puppies are thrive for you.

Oh, just a side note, UNIMILK has a recall on it right now, so I would steer clear of that.

Vicki

OH I am so sorry to hear about this!! This is just awful. I would definately tell EVERYONE I know about this vet and also check into the Better Business Bureau and see if you can file a complaint. This is absolutely unacceptable behavior and she should be totally ashamed of herself. We have a vet in this area that would act just like this. She even killed a miniature horse colt last year. He was brought in for a routine eye surgery, to get his eyelashes out of his eye ( I know, I would have just went out and rolled the eyelash out of his eye but the owner wanted the surgery) anyway, the vet gased the foal and the foal died. AND this gal still uses this vet!! :ugh: :ugh:
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
: So please tell EVERYONE you know and everyone you don't know!! Sigh.....

Kim,

I am so sorry that you had this happen. But please, you didn't fail your girl. This was not your fault in the least. I had something similar happen with one of my mom's huskies when I was dog sitting them. But in my case the vet was in constant contact with me. But my poor girl just couldn't fight what ever it was. But the description sounded very much like your girls. Lethargic to the point they won't wake up and panting.

Anyway, many hugs to you. As for the way the vet treated you, you can get copies of the cell phone records showing when the calls were made so you can prove how often you tried to get ahold of that vet. And definately file a complaint for the lack of communications with you.

As for the puppies, definately suppliment them with formula or goats milk. But for their mental disposition, I would think that it may be good if they have an adoptive mom like your other female around so that they get that motherly love that they still need, and since your other female is so good about being a surrogate, why not let her do what she can to help? As long as she holds her weight and it isn't detrimental to her health, I would think it would be postitive for your pups. It will also give you a break as well.

Again, many hugs to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, I would leave the puppies with Pixie and supplement as necessary to make sure they get enough. There is no substitute for a mother's love and you are lucky to have a surrogate mom available!

I'm so sorry this happened. The vet was highly unprofessional not to call and let you know, I hope it was because she was dreading telling you rather than because she didn't care. It was still awful no matter what her reason! I can't imagine being in your place. I think I too would have tried using a different phone to call her. In this age of caller ID it's far too easy to avoid someone if you don't want to talk to them...calling on a different number like your friend's phone is the way to see if that's what's going on.

Prayers for you, Katie Bug, her puppies, and your family. What a tragedy.

Leia

Latest posts

Back