I am SO ANGRY at my vet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
My vet has not only ruined my faith in her, but has also made my mothers day miserable to the point that I can't even do anything but sit here and worry and cry. I had to send my husband and kids to my mother in laws just to keep from ruining their day.

Yesterday afternoon I went out to do some fencing. I finished and went to check on Katie. She's my 4 year old red merle Aussie that had 9 puppies a week ago. I went inside her pen and peeked inside the 4x4 stall that she and her puppies are in. I have a fan blowing straight down on them and they were all cool, but when I said hey there Katie Bug she didn't even move. Just panting as if she never even heard me. Her puppies were crawling on her and nursing and everything else.

Welll... I knew something wasn't right. Katie always jumps up and runs into my lap when I bend down to pet her. I shook her, I kept repeating her name more and more frantically each time. I screamed for my husband to get over there quick that something was wrong with Katie.

He came over and he checked her and he pulled her out into the pen. She was lethargic, totally limp, eyes shut, just laying there panting as if she was sound asleep or something. I worked with her shaking her, jiggling her, petting her talking to her holding her head up... nothing worked.

She was perfectly fine the day before. Not a care in the world She was doing great. My friend and his wife showed up and I picked Katie up and carried her into the yard. I knew my other vet told me once that if a dog was over-heated to run cool water over their tummy and underside to cool them off. I did that. I didn't think it was heatstroke at all... no symptoms of heat stroke. No seizures, no shaking, no nothing.

I called my vet's number on my phone and my friend was there with his phone. I had the cell on speakerphone and when she gave the emergency after hours number he dialed it for me and I spoke to her. She said it would be 10 pm before she could get to her office so I went ahead and got Katie ready. I put another momma dog in with her one week old pups that adopts any puppy you want to give her. She was nursign them and cleaning them so I let them alone to keep them from being stressed.

Donnie and my friend took Katie up to the vet and left her there. I thought the first question she would ask is "what kind of pet food is she on?" NOPE... first thing she said was that she would need a $100. deposit before she could do anything :new_shocked:
default_shutup.gif
: FINE.... he wrote her out her deposit and she started her on an IV and told Donnie and my friend to go ahead and leave her there. She would run a series of tests on her and call us in the morning. She said she thought she would be ok... but that she would call and let us know something.

SO... donnie left her my number and his number and came home.

This morning at 8:02 a.m. she called my friend's phone and left a message for me to call her. Ok...so why did she call my friend's phone? Why didn't she call my number ? Or Donnie's number? Those were the numbers we left with her to call. She's been our vet for 3 years...what the crap did she call his phone for?

Well... I call and I call and I call and I call... all day long Donnie and I have been calling her vet's office number, and her emebergency number and we get no answer. Not even a voice mail..nothing. I know we've called her at least 40 times today. Nothing. I texted her cell...nothing... I call and call... I can't find out a thing. She won't answer any numbers, she wont call again... I don't know if my dog is ok or not ok.

I just want to know if Katie is allright. I want to know if she's alive. I have cried and cried and cried over her and I just can't find anything out at all. I've been worried sick all day about her and can't reach that stupid ignorant vet to find out anything.

I called my friend I got my Aussies from. She used to work for a vets office. She pointed out that with this being a weekend the vet could be purposfully avoiding us so she can bill us for 3 days of after hours vetting. WHAT ?
default_shutup.gif
: Yup. According to her the vet can charge us for after hours vetting for Saturday night, as well as all day Sunday, and all day Monday since I cannot drive to go get her because of my sight and would have to wait until 4:30 when my husband gets off work and can make it up there to get her. :no: :no:

FINE... bill be for all of it, I don't care. I just want to know how my Katie is doing... I want to know if she's alive... I want to know if my puppies are orphans and if I need to get some puppy formula for them. I want to know what's going on with my Katie.

I had 500. put back for earnest money on the house we're trying to buy. I already told Donnie I will forfiet the house totally just to pay the vet bill with that money... I don't care about the money, I care about my dog and I want to know something about her. I have to know if she's ok or not.

I will never ever use this vet again. I think it's cruel and mean not to at least say on the voice mail this morning whether she was still fighting to stay alive...;whether she lost her...whether she was fine....something... some little something would be better than just a cold "I'm calling to leave a message for Kim Clayton to call me at my after hours number".

:no:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:

Oh my God!!! I know you must be so scared and frantic at this point. What the heck is wrong with that vet??
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
: I am so very sorry you are having to go through this!!! I wish there was something I could do to ease your worry. :ugh:

I'm so sorry...how terrible. I hope she is ok, I know it's killing you not knowing what's going on...especially since there are puppies to contend with too....my advice would be to go pick her up tomorrow morning and take her somewhere else (which is just more stress on Katie unfortunately)...at this point I wouldn't be paying the vet at all...how inconsiderate!

I know some may say "well the vet has a life too"...unfortunately they don't, if they don't want to be bothered with emergencies on weekends/nights then they need to make that clear to their clients so their clients can take their beloved pets to someone who can be bothered and really does care about the client, as well as the animal..

((big hugs))

keep us updated.

So Sorry, Thinking of you and Katie. I sure hope no news is Good News :new_shocked:

:new_shocked: OMG. That is sooooooo unacceptable. You make sure that when you get your dog back home that you spread the word as far and wide as you can about this vet. Tell everyone you know and have them pass it on too. NO vet should EVER be unreachable for that amount of time when they take an animal in as an emergency after hours or on a weekend. EVER. I can understand a short period of time being unreachable, but for that amount of time, it's just unacceptable.

I'm sooooooo sorry you are having to go through this, today of all days, when you have such beautiful children you should be celebrating with. I will send prayers your way for your poor girl.
default_pray.gif
:

default_shutup.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:

STILL unreachable. Still no word. Still don't know a thing. :no:

Here it is 20 minutes till 9 p.m. I still keep trying to call both the emergency number (which is her cell number) and the office number hoping to catach one of her assistants there or something... but no one will answer the phones.

I am miserable... absolutely hating this whole entire day.

Donnie told me he is going to stay home tomorrow and take me up to the vets office as soon as the kids get on the bus (at 7 a.m.) and we will sit there at her front door and find out exactly what's going on with my dog. This is horrible.

I will never ever use her again. I wish there was some place that regulates vets because I would file a major grievanace against her. There's no reason she can't contact me... or have an assistant contact me.

I want to know how my Katie Bug is doing... or if she's doing. I just can't understand how she doesn't realize this is battering the crud out of my emotions not knowing how my dog is doing. She's not just a dog... she's not just an animal... and I am NOT just a customer... I am that dog's best friend and she is my best friend and I want to know if she's ok.

What a ignorant person.
default_wacko.png
: What is she using for a brain. She surely doesn't take her job seriously or have any love for her patients. She would get a piece of my mind for sure. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. It would drive anyone up a wall. I hope desperately that your Katie is alright. Keep us posted.
default_wub.png
:

I can't even imagine what you've been going through not being able to find out what's happening. Not knowing is the worst thing in the world. Once we know something we can begin to deal with it, but the not knowing is absolute he!!. Please let us know. My prayers are with your girl.

:no: i am so sorry about your dog. i sure hope she is okay. your vet would have to tell me why in the world she didn't call you. Thank the Lord our vet is good about calling anytime for us.

you all will be in our prayers and keep us posted.

Kim,

I'm so sorry you have to go through this nightmare! What a very terrible experience! I truly hope everything is alright with your girl, and please keep us informed.

I don't feel like finding the smileys that are crying... they aren't crying enough for me.....

My friend (who's phone I used last night to call the vet) just tryed to call the vet for me at 5 after 9 and the vet picked right up.

My friend said "Hey.... this is a friend of Kim Claytons and you have her dog in there that she brought in last night and she's been trying to call you all day, I want to know how her dog is doing right now"....

After a few oks... and two allright I'll tell hers she hung up the phone and said

Katie died in the middle of the night last night.... she said when you come to get the body in the morning she'll tell you about the bloodwork.

All day long my Katie has been a body. A body? How can my Katie turn into a body and no one tell me? All day I have foolishly held out hope.... all day I though no news was good news. All day I've wanted to go get my Katie... a body.

This just is wrong... on too many levels. I have 9 babies out there that need their mommy...and one heart in here that needs her too. :no:

My beautiful Katie has gone over the rainbow bridge... and I would give anything I have if I could just get her to come back.....

Bye my Katie begger.... I'm so sorry I failed you.....I am going to do my best to raise up her 9 babies... you can see her little ones on my dogs page of my website... it's the little bitty ones at the very bottom of the page. ....

gypsys_katie_bug.jpg

((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

I feel so bad for you.

Check with your State's Veterinary board you should be able to file a complaint with them. in the state of FL you can, may not be of much help but if you are seriously considering filing a complaint with this vet, there is also the better business bureau you can check with also.

Karen

here are your crying faces... it was hard to find them through my own tears at reading your story but the least i could do for you

default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:

and a little something for the vet as well

:nono: :nono: :ugh: :ugh: :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

:saludando: Katie, your mama loved you
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

I'd have to have someone else go pick her up tomorrow. i think I'd do some serious damage to that vet and I'm not that type of person but in a case like this I know I would. I'm so sorry for what happened. I'm so grateful that we have the vets we do for our small animals and large. I hope you find a much better one than this for the rest of your little ones. Definitely not the ending I expected. I figured that she wasn't all that concerned cause Katie was all right. It still wasn't right that she didn't call but like you were thinking I would have thought the same that no news is good news.

Amanda

So shameful.

I'm sorry she's gone and I'm sorry that in such a situation that you were treated so callously and the lack of respect for Katie's life, your emotions are inexcusable.

(((((hugs)))))

Liz M.

Kimmy, I am so sorry!

First I want to tell you that I do believe that she had a heat stroke.

They don't all necessarily shake etc. so I think that vet may have wasted your

money on what you could have done at home if she had bothered to

give you first aid instructions for heat stroke via phone. It would have saved

much time and maybe her life.

Next I have to tell you that I am DONE and FINISHED completely with being

the village idiot around here for vets that treat you like you are nothing.

A few years ago I was very mistreated (and my pony) by a vet and I reported

this action to the State Veternary board. Believe me, it's worth it.

You must put in writting every single thing that transpired and dates and times

while it is fresh in your mind. OH, and when you confront this vet, bring along a

tape recorder.

Then you send the letter, and tape if you have it.

It is much harder for the vet to defend her actions than it is for you to prove yours,

and unfortunately, you have the ultimate proof.

Don't let this get shoved under the carpet. You may just be able to save

someone else's animal for standing up in the name of Katie for what is right.

I am really so very sorry this has happened. I know those pups are going to be alright.

So sorry for your loss. Yes, it does sound like she was overheated. I cannot believe they never even returned your calls! :no:

I am so sorry Kim, this is just beyond words, and I'm sorry just doesn't seem to be enough.
default_sad.png

[SIZE=12pt]i have been waiting for you to give an update...never thought i would read this :no: , i am so sorry for what has happened. Nikki[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back