I am really bewildered and would like to understand

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See I knew it would be taken the wrong way of what I said..
I said…

And for people say that they had worked when they had children. The BIG difference is S. Palin puts her career FIRST, then her children..

So now, are YOU SAYING children should not be FIRST over careers??
Because you did not quote anyone I am kind of guessing that you are talking to me.

What I was saying in a long winded way is that you can have a career and take care of children. I believe that you can do both and not place one over the other. I have seen it done over and over again for the last 50 years.

I tried to stay clear of Sarah Palin specifically because I don't know her personally and I doubt anyone on this forum knows her personally. I have no reason to believe that she can't/doesn't give her family all of the proper attention.

And, if she is elected our first woman Vice President I would guess that her husband would end up being a stay at home father. I have seen this work many times before and have no reason to believe that it couldn't work this time.

If anything set me off in your posting it was probably your "mommies" comment. Would you ever had said "It is totally wrong and totally unfair to children.. they need their daddies.. ?" Only you can answer that and I will keep my guess to myself.

Please don't take any of my comments personally. They are meant generally as to how I feel.

How many times are we told on this very forum, that if something matters enough to us to see "change", to get involved, make the effort for change to happen. For example...go to the convention to review all the issues of this registry we all know and love
default_wub.png
and then make it a point be present to cast our vote, or better yet, run for committee seat or above.

In doing so, it takes away from our families there too. Though purely on a "recreational" level, for the majority of us who knowingly will never see our horses are our means of food on our tables. (I know some are able, and that's not my point, LOL). But, aside from our horses, most also have jobs in addition to their families. Still, it is often emphasised to "get involved" if we want to see things changed from the current status quo.

That is all this "Hockey Mom" has ever done, only her level of "getting involved" is beyond that of any "recreational" level, it is likely far beyond what any of us have ever done for ourselves, truthfully speaking.

If she is to be "disrespected" because of her desire to "get involved" with issues that matter to her, then how can any of "us" be viewed any more respectable to take a notion to "get involved" in "horsey politics"??? I agree, they are far different areas of involvement....but honestly, the point I'm trying to make truly is equally relevant.

Are those that are able to "get involved" to be just as shunned for taking valuable time and committment away from their families too, in hopes of "making a difference" in our "horsey world"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Something else I want to say to those in other countries who chime in over and over again about our politics:

I hope you really know as much about your own county's politics as you think you do about the politics of the USA.
I admit I have about 1% as much interest in Canadian politics as the members from there have in ours. Maybe that should be considered flattering vs. annoying. I don't know.
mmm getting hot in here and I am not having a hot flash, lol.

Jill, yes we Canadians keep abreast of foreign policies and world news. In this day and age when the world truly is smaller as many countries have agreements for this and that, that many of our lives are affected not only by our own goverments but other countries governments and their policy choices as well.

I believe that the main difference between Canadians and Americans, since our cultures are so very similar, our freedoms are very similar, etc. is the fact that Americans are not as interested or don't find the need to get more involved in being aware of news on the world front. I don't mean this in a negative way or in a condenscending way either but the perception is that the U.S. is more self-centered in this regard because of their "super-power" definition in this world, as a nation that leads in many things.

I am sorry if you don't appreciate other countries voicing their opinion about your presidential race but as many people have said it affects us as well, not to the level it affects each American citizen but it does affect us big time. Your foreign policies can either bring peace or cause a mess, such as we have seen in the present administration. What I wish for the American people is a leader who is diplomatic but also strong enough if need be to act if faced with threat. What I don't want to see is someone (male or female) with such tough talk, no diplomatic skills, to heck with them attitude and bullying type of mentality. That does not sit well with Canada nor with many other countries. It reminds me of the saying "Do as I say, not as I do" and nobody likes that, people fight that kind of an attitude.

Also the mentality that seems to be prevalent by some debating on this thread that everyone wants to move to the U.S... sorry but that is arrogance talking and truly not a factual statement but more an emotional one. I do admire your patriotism for your country. We have patriotism for ours. You think you live in the best country, we believe we live in the best country - hence the reason we each live in our own countries
default_laugh.png

Danielle, just out of curiosity, how many peopel do you have moving into your country each year from other countries? As opposed to how many the US has?

This is what prompts us to say people want to live here. The amount of people trying so hard to get in and many that die trying. I never hear of that in your Country. And quite frankly, I wish I didn't for ours either. Wish people would just stay in their own countries for the most part and work on making them better. And no, I don't mean make them like the US, I just mean fix our own problems in our own countries, US included.

Calling us arrogant is kind of personal by the way. If we didn't care about other countries you all wouldn't get all the help you do everytime someone needs us.

Danielle, just out of curiosity, how many peopel do you have moving into your country each year from other countries? As opposed to how many the US has?
This is what prompts us to say people want to live here. The amount of people trying so hard to get in and many that die trying. I never hear of that in your Country. And quite frankly, I wish I didn't for ours either. Wish people would just stay in their own countries for the most part and work on making them better. And no, I don't mean make them like the US, I just mean fix our own problems in our own countries, US included.

Calling us arrogant is kind of personal by the way. If we didn't care about other countries you all wouldn't get all the help you do everytime someone needs us.

I used the word arrogance when someone thinks that citizens of other countries than the U.S. all want to move to the U.S. Canada allows many immigrants on a yearly basis and Canada does have one of the most multi-cultural and multi-linguistic people living in one country. I believe the size of each of our countries dictates the number of immigrants allowed in each of our respective countries so saying one lets in more than another would have to take that factor in. I am sorry if you would prefer your county to let less immigrants in. I feel blessed that Canada allows the numbers of immigrants in that we do as it only enriches the mosaic of our country and it educates me in various cultures, languages, etc.

Nobody said you didn't care about other countries. Many countries when called upon or in times of need help countries that need it. Nobody has a monopoly on this and I don't think anybody was suggestion that the U.S. wasn't a very generous country like many others are as well.

You asked about our immigration - here is for 2007 because 2008 is not done yet. It will give you an idea but as I said we have less cities than the U.S. and I believe that your countries mass (size) is larger...

Canada admitted highest number of Immigrants in 2007

Sunday, March 23, 2008 - by superuser

More articles in Canadian Immigration

Discuss (0 posts) Printable View

In 2007 Canada accepted the highest number of immigrants (temporary and permanent residents) to date. This is based on the preliminary data released by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on March 14th 2007. In 2007, Canada admitted 429,649 permanent residents, temporary foreign workers and foreign students. This number is more than 60,000 higher than it was just four years ago.

Canada's fast growing economy means labour demands will also continue to grow in the next few years. The most recent Census indicates that in the past five years, Canada's population grew by 1.6 million. Of that 1.1 million was he result of immigration. The country is on track to becoming 100 per cent dependent on immigration for growth. By 2012, immigration is expected to account for all net growth in our labour force.

Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Canadian Citizenship and Immigration said that these numbers show that our immigration program is responding to Canada's needs, particularly our economic needs. Labour shortages are being felt in sectors across the country. Immigration is helping to meet labour demands and to ensure industries are able to remain competitive in the global economy.

"As immigration becomes increasingly important in supporting Canada's growth, we are bringing in people with the right mix of skills to address both short and long-term labour market needs," Minister Finley added. "At the same time, we must also help ensure the success of immigrants by helping them settle and integrate into Canadian society."

Last year, Canada admitted more temporary foreign workers than in recent years to respond to the labour market needs of Canada's economy. A 12 percent increase in the number of temporary foreign workers accounts for much of the increase in the overall number of temporary and permanent residents admitted in 2007. The statistics also show a 4.6 percent increase in the number of foreign students admitted in 2007.

Over 251,000 permanent resident visas were issued, which is within the target range of 240,000 to 265,000. Only 236,689 visa holders had arrived in Canada by year's end. CIC controls when visas are issued, it does not control when people use them. Permanent residents may decide to use their visa at any time during the period it is valid.

For further information (media only), please contact:

Douglas Kellam

Spokesperson, Media Relations

Communications Branch

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

613-952-1650

Danielle, Since I was the one who first stated that people from other countries wanted to get in here I feel I should address your comment about my arrogance.

I was not stating that to be arrogant I was simply stating fact. There are thousands of people every day who want to immigrate to America from all over the world and even some who want to be here badly enough that they do it the illegal way.

I was also NOT demeaning your country OR any other, for that matter, who have people trying to immigrate. I was only trying to defend some comments that have been made about how terrible our president is and what world bullies we Americans are.

The world does not have to like him, but, just maybe some of us Americans don't see him as the horrible monster some of you do. Is he perfect? No.

I 100% agree with those of you who are calling the line of negative comments about Palin sexist. It sure is!!! Obama has young children, too. What's the difference? I find Palin to be an impressive and admiral person, and she makes me feel even more proud to be an American woman.

And, I said what I feel on the Canadians who seem to be way too interested and too poorly informed about our political issues. So what if you listen to US news along with your own? Spend a couple of days tuned to Fox News, which does present both sides, vs. NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN -- those are the WORST. If you did that, at the least, you would see there is a huge bias. Listen long enough, and I think you may come to the same conclusions I have regarding which "news" sources are the worst in terms of bias.

The USA is the most powerful and influential Nation on the planet, so for that reason, citizens of other Nations are bound to feel like they care about who we elect. However the vast majority of them are not qualified to have a truly informed opinion and are not eligible to vote in our election.

july4_1.gif

----

PS -- I want to let it be known that I appreciate that Mary Lou, as owner of LB, is unbiased in that she allows people who have opinions different than hers, on politics, horses, etc., to post their opinions without retribution, deletion, or edits. Couldn't disagree with her more on this issue, but it impresses me that she allows that to be expressed. Thank you, Mary Lou
default_cheekkiss.gif

It is well known that Fox news is one of the worst news sources and that they are "extreme" in reporting. They are not respected very highly so I would take NBC or ABC or CNN before Fox as they are in the bottom of being totally factual and telling the entire truth on matters.

Since having non-Americans debate and post on the subject cause some of you angst I will respect your wish and will refrain and allow the mud-slinging tht is going on with the republicans and the democrats on this forum. I always though this was an open forum on subjects period, guess I was wrong. I do hope when the time comes should the republicans win and they want to drill for oil in Alaska and must get Canada's views and approval regarding the pipeline , etc. that you won't take offence if a debate ensues in it because it does affect us or will we be told basically we have no business to discuss it and just "do as we say, not as w do?". Enough said

To those of you Americans who are looking at "issues" and basing your choice on this, I applaud you. You are making informed and non-emotional decisions. That is what I intend to do with our elections here. May the best man/woman lead your country.

The floor or thread is all yours Jill, enjoy.

Gini
She has a charge against her that she alledgedly abused her power as Govenor to try and force her ex brother in law out of his job as a state trooper. They are looking into it.
Crabby, her brother-in-law used a taser on his step son who was 10 years old for fun. He also admitted to it. Surely you do not believe this is ok?

Fran

To those of you Americans who are looking at "issues" and basing your choice on this, I applaud you. You are making informed and non-emotional decisions. That is what I intend to do with our elections here. May the best man/woman lead your country.
Danielle, as you know, I'm not personally going to entertain a debate on US politics with you.

However, if you've read the things the McCain / Palin supporters have had to say and can count us as uninformed or unclear about why we've formed our opinions then oh well. I do not think we come across as being uninformed
default_laugh.png

No it was not okay. But they made it seem like the brother in law did it like it was a punishment or abuse. The child wanted to see what it was like. The father did it to show him how horrible tasers can be. Was that right, probably not for a child. But allegedly going behind a persons back to put pressure on his superiors to fire him is wayyyy not right either.

The growd in Germany was already there at a rock concert with 4 bands. Obama camp gave free beer, sausage and directed the people how to act and cheer with more beer and american flags they handed around.

It was a presidential speech and not allowed under american law.

Obama didn't visit the soldiers in military hospital in Germany because the press was not allowed in and he prefered to go shopping.

Next day the press there was not good but our press told us different.

In France was no one there, so in England but the press here told us differend.

Source: I read German, France news every day. BTW, Angela Merkel and Nikolas S. are good friend with President Bush. If you hear otherwise its not the truths

Is this what you meant Jill?

Canada admitted highest number of Immigrants in 2007Sunday, March 23, 2008 - by superuser
I just wanted to clarify this statement from Danielle, yes it is true in 07 Canada admitted the highest number of immigrants....in Canada's history. See below stats:

U.S.:

The nation’s immigrant population (legal and illegal) reached a record of 37.9 million in 2007.
full website Immigrants in the US 2007

Canada:

The 2006 Census enumerated 6,186,950 foreign-born people in Canada
full website Canada statistics

both figures where taken from each countries 2006 census. Your statement just made it seem as though you were saying that Canada accepted the most immigrants...wanted to make sure everyone was informed properly. Below is some numbers regarding size of both countries.

Canada's size vs. U.S.

Canada is one of the largest countries in the world, second only to Russia in territorial size. It has a total area of 9.9 million square kilometers (3.8 million square miles).
link regarding Canada

United States is the third-largest country in the world in area behind Russia and Canada. It has a total area of 9,629,091 square kilometers (3,717,792 square miles).
link regarding U.S.

No it was not okay. But they made it seem like the brother in law did it like it was a punishment or abuse. The child wanted to see what it was like. The father did it to show him how horrible tasers can be. Was that right, probably not for a child. But allegedly going behind a persons back to put pressure on his superiors to fire him is wayyyy not right either.
Honey, that was abuse. Abuse of his tazer and abuse on a minor child. He was the adult and should have acted like an adult. Not to mention an officer of the law.

Fran

It is well known that Fox news is one of the worst news sources and that they are "extreme" in reporting. They are not respected very highly so I would take NBC or ABC or CNN before Fox as they are in the bottom of being totally factual and telling the entire truth on matters.
Since having non-Americans debate and post on the subject cause some of you angst I will respect your wish and will refrain and allow the mud-slinging tht is going on with the republicans and the democrats on this forum. I always though this was an open forum on subjects period, guess I was wrong. I do hope when the time comes should the republicans win and they want to drill for oil in Alaska and must get Canada's views and approval regarding the pipeline , etc. that you won't take offence if a debate ensues in it because it does affect us or will we be told basically we have no business to discuss it and just "do as we say, not as w do?". Enough said

[SIZE=12pt]Just so you know Danielle, I welcome discussions from you and ALL forum members on ANY Subject we choose to discuss
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

"It is well known that Fox news is one of the worst news sources and that they are "extreme" in reporting. They are not respected very highly so I would take NBC or ABC or CNN before Fox as they are in the bottom of being totally factual and telling the entire truth on matters."

Well known where? Amongst the Democrates maybe. Where do you get your information? Fox News is one of the best sources. They show both sides of any story, or at least try to. At the DNC and RNC, Fox affiliates were told NOT to show any response to any of the candidates. Even though their reporters might be in favor of one over the other. However, MSNBC and NBC, all of their reporters were cheering and shouting for Obama. One of their reporters stated, "he gets a tingle down his leg any time Obama speaks".......that is fair and unbiased?

CNN only shows the "bad things" that the American soldiers are doing in Iraq. They refuse to report any of the good that is coming out of that.

What about the driving a state vehicle while drunk!!!! I have [SIZE=12pt]0[/SIZE] tolorance for any person driving while drinking!!! One of my experiences in Alaska as I'm usually there 3 months out of the year. I went into a mall in Anchorage with my Granddaughter and there was a vacant store filled with people laying all over the floor. I questioned my son (whose a State Trooper) later about what that was all about. He stated that it was a round up of drunks driving and walking the streets unsafely (staggering) put in a empty store and then taken to holding cells until they sobered up. They were then let back onto the street without charges being filed. This was the city police dept. I'm not critizing them as this is a huge problem in Alaska. The brother in law who swore to uphold the law and the last time I looked drunk driving was against the law. He has been CAUGHT driving drunk and in a

STATE vehicle. Can you just imagine what the people of Alaska would think if he killed someone while driving drunk in a STATE vehicle!!!! We have had police officers here in Tucson caught,suspended pending investigation,then fired. Can someone tell me why it should be any different for this person. When Palin saw that nothing was being done as Governor she stepped in!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

What about the driving a state vehicle while drunk!!!! I have [SIZE=12pt]0[/SIZE] tolorance for any person driving while drinking!!! One of my experiences in Alaska as I'm usually there 3 months out of the year. I went into a mall in Anchorage with my Granddaughter and there was a vacant store filled with people laying all over the floor. I questioned my son (whose a State Trooper) later about what that was all about. He stated that it was a round up of drunks driving and walking the streets unsafely (staggering) put in a empty store and then taken to holding cells until they sobered up. They were then let back onto the street without charges being filed. This was the city police dept. I'm not critizing them as this is a huge problem in Alaska. The brother in law who swore to uphold the law and the last time I looked drunk driving was against the law. He has been CAUGHT driving drunk and in a

STATE vehicle. Can you just imagine what the people of Alaska would think if he killed someone while driving drunk in a STATE vehicle!!!! We have had police officers here in Tucson caught,suspended pending investigation,then fired. Can someone tell me why it should be any different for this person. When Palin saw that nothing was being done as Governor she stepped in!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Weeellll...if I read right this was 22 years ago..about the same time Obama was puffing his marijuana
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Weeellll...if I read right this was 22 years ago..about the same time Obama was puffing his marijuana
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png
Both drinking and smokin the Weed kill brain cells! Just the candidate for the President Rght!!!!!

Latest posts

Back