Hyperbike

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are the other ones with a seat like that, I will add a picture. Absolutely love it. The seat is bigger and gives support on the back sides and at the front of the seat so you do not slide down.

Tina and Matthijs

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

Thank you very much, Tina, for the photos and the details! For my own reference...how tall is the miniature in the photo?

Margo

Thanks, Matthijs!

Shari, is this the kind of seat you are getting on your Hyperbike?

Margo

Matthijs,

Lovely mare, and thanks for the great pictures of the Hyperbike set-up. I am in the process of saving for one, hopefully next spring, and it is great to see the different seat and an up close shot of the cart. I see you have a Comfy Fit harness, which I have as well for my bigger 39-40" mares. Did you have to make any adjustments to the harness to suit the Hyperbike? Specifically I'm wondering about the traces being too long. From the picture they look to be on the original holes, but I was just wondering what you thought overall and if any changes needed to be made. Thanks!

Katie

The singletree on the Hyperbike is the same distance from the horse as on a regular cart. The only difference is that the seat is right on top of it instead of way behind it! The only special harness adjustment you'll need to make is shortening your reins and using a shorter whip.

Leia

That is right Leia, thanks.

The only two things that I added are the trace carriers, I like them. And now I also use quick release clips that sit on the singletree. This meant that I had to put a shackle through the end of the traces.

So now I leave the holdback straps on the shafts and do not guide the traces through them a scissor clip snaps straight to the britching.

I am a bit of a leather snob, but for the HyperBike I like the beta reins because the leather ones all have the stitching where you hold them and that bothers me.

I know I will have to make a picture of my trace end / singletree setup.

ME

Do these carts put weight on the horse? I was looking at the enlarged picture of Willow and the cart, and I would think that having the cart so close to the cart with your feet up at their sides, and the way the seat sits a little forward of the axle, this would put a lot of the weight on the horse.
default_unsure.png

Just the post I was looking for! I'm new to this forum, new to minis, and am just starting to compete in CDEs/ HDT.

Leia, your youtube video of you guys chugging through hazards on your bike inspired my switch to driving a VSE! Haven't looked back since :)

Just wondering about using the bikes in competition.....is the extra track width an issue? Are drivers using them in dressage & cones or just marathan? How quickly do horses adapt to driving in it if they're used to a regular 2wheel cart? Does it make a difference if you use a regular breastcollar or an Empathy-type? How easily do the bikes dismantel?

I've never seen one here in Alberta, Canada...hate forking out the $ for something I've never seen before. Sure appreciate all the posts!

I am really new to this but must say in my limited experience I
wub.gif
love my Hyperbike . I plan to use it for everything ...I sure don't mind being different
aktion033.gif
, especially when the horse is the winner . I have found that the wide track makes it much more flexible in alot of situations . I am sure my aerocrown would not have fared so well on our trail which has alot of tree roots and I am a little driving challenged
new_rofl.gif
. I know that if I do show I will not probably place in the classes because I don't use an over/side check, blinders but I don't care , I having fun !

Hi I will try to answer a few of the questions here.

The beauty of the HyperBike is its adjustability, So you actually have no weight on the horse at all. The shafts are floating in the tug loops. By shifting your weight fore and aft you maintain this. The up and down movement of the horse is therefore not transferred to the cart and rider.

You may also have noticed that I use a saddle with sliding back band. Besides moving up and down the horse also moves from side to side therefore the shafts are not pulled from side to side.

The balance is also set with position of the seat. In almost any position of the shafts you can find the point of zero weight in the shafts by sliding the seat either forward or back.

It may not be the most desirable cart for dressage, but there are drivers on this forum that use them for that. It is awesome in the hazards and the cones, probably the only two wheeler with which u stand a chance in speed with the four wheelers.

The shafts and wheels come off without the use of any tools and then the whole thing including the harness fits in my smart car, see picture!

We initially purchased two harnesses with our horses that were leather, well made A & H stuff with a regular straight rather narrow breast collar. We just upgraded to the comfy fit pair harness with all the extra's so we can also use them for single horse. The reasons for upgrading were not only the breast collar shape and padding and so on but also as I mentioned the sliding back band. And lastly but not completely unimportant the ease of maintenance. dunk it in a bucket of water rub it clean shake it dry and hang in the tackroom for next time.

Bye the way we are only a few hours from Calgary here just outside Vancouver BC so just call before you wanna drop by and see ours. I think it is the ultimate vehicle for our VSE.

ME

IMG_0508.JPG

Now that my new computer allows me to attach images directly (and dependably), I thought I'd add a couple of shots of Mingus and the HyperBike in the ocean at Long Beach, Washington.

Can you tell Mingus and I both love it?

IMG_3923Mingusbeachsilhouette-web.jpg

IMG_3922wheeeeeweb.jpg

Hi Susanne,

I have been waiting for those pictures, awesome!!! That beach drive is on our bucket list, what fun and no better cart to be had!!!

Is it difficult to get in these carts? With my sometimes stiff arthritic legs, I'd be afraid I'd kick the horse in the rear when I was getting in!!
default_whistling.gif
default_blush.png

Kawgirl, Once you get the maneuver down, it's no problem. You might want to have a header for the first couple of times, but as long as your horse has a solid whoa (and is comfortable with you moving around behind him -- necessary for any cart -- you'll be fine.

As I've mentioned ad nauseum, I'm a total gimp. I have arthritis and a plethora of leg and back problems, yet I do fine in the HyperBike. Some days I need to help my right foot up into the stirrup, but it gets there.

My approach is to stand facing forward (left side) and swing my right leg over the shaft. As soon as my foot touches the ground, I sit down, then put my feet into the stirrups. Getting out, while still sitting, I swing both legs over the left shaft and then stand up. With this method, I find that I have fewer seconds of vulnerability than with my easy entry...and I've never kicked my horse.

Kawgirl said:
Do these carts put weight on the horse? I was looking at the enlarged picture of Willow and the cart, and I would think that having the cart so close to the cart with your feet up at their sides, and the way the seat sits a little forward of the axle, this would put a lot of the weight on the horse.
default_unsure.png
No, not at all. It actually gives you a lot of flexibility because if you're going uphill you can put more weight forward on the stirrups and hold the shafts down, and going downhill you can rest against the backrest and keep the weight from tipping forward onto the horse. The slider allows you to find the perfect balance over the axle with just a pull of a lever, which is MUCH easier than most other carts! It floats along beautifully and turns on a dime with just a fingertip against the shaft.

Littlegoesalongway said:
Leia, your youtube video of you guys chugging through hazards on your bike inspired my switch to driving a VSE! Haven't looked back since :)
Aw, thanks!
default_blush.png
I'm always so flattered when someone tells me that. I've got to upload the more recent videos where we were actually zipping!

Littlegoesalongway said:
Just wondering about using the bikes in competition.....is the extra track width an issue? Are drivers using them in dressage & cones or just marathan? How quickly do horses adapt to driving in it if they're used to a regular 2wheel cart? Does it make a difference if you use a regular breastcollar or an Empathy-type? How easily do the bikes dismantel?
Until such time as they pass a standard track width for VSE's in the lower levels, the extra track width is nothing but an advantage in stability. We've got more than enough room going through full-sized hazards!
default_laugh.png
I personally used it only for marathon but that's because we mostly have the more formal three-day events up here and I prefer to use my Bellcrown for presentation, dressage and cones. It's difficult to look elegant wearing an apron in a Hyperbike!
default_new_rofl.gif
I do use it for all three phases in ADT's and take my dressage lessons in it as it's easier to transport in the winter (it rides in my trailer tack room fully assembled) but have found it's harder to use your core properly at a walk and working trot with your feet up in front of you. It can be done! But it requires concentration and good reinsmanship.

I've met one or two horses who were nervous in the Hyperbike at first because it followed so closely on their tails but most of them don't care and then get really excited when you let them move out in it. New 'Bikers rarely use the 'Bike to its capacity at first but once you show the horse what the vehicle is capable of they think they've sprouted wings and often gain tremendously in confidence. It's a great vehicle for one like Kody who doesn't like turning into the shafts! He learned from the Hyperbike that all he had to do was push into it and it would give way, and soon he was much better about turning the heavier carts he used to hate. He loves spinning the 'Bike on one wheel at a canter!

The Hyperbike dismantles in moments with no special tools but is designed so there's no way it will come apart unless you want it to. I highly approve of the engineering on this vehicle!

As for breastcollars, I prefer to use a contoured collar with an adjustable angle of draft (i.e. the tug on a ring) because the line of draft goes downhill from the horse to the singletree. You can certainly use a regular breastcollar, I did for years, but it puts most of the pressure across the bottom of the horse's shoulder which makes it harder for them to move their forelegs. The heavier the load (in this case mostly the driver), the harder it is for the horse. It didn't matter much with tiny little me but that might not be the case for others.
default_unsure.png
I was outfitting Kody to pass the toughest tests out there with insufficient conditioning and a stifle problem so I made sure he had the best ergonomic setup I could and the least weight. That meant a Hyperbike, a Freedom Collar and a sliding backband and the combination has been stellar. He loves them! That's the kind of setup you don't notice much difference from at lower speeds but the faster you go, the more that turnout excels while other rigs would be getting more and more unstable and scary. For heck-for-leather trail driving, full-out ADT's, darby, or marathon, it's the way to go with a single mini.

Kawgirl said:
Is it difficult to get in these carts? With my sometimes stiff arthritic legs, I'd be afraid I'd kick the horse in the rear when I was getting in!!
default_whistling.gif
default_blush.png
Sometimes I do!
default_laugh.png
He got used to it. No, seriously, it's not much of an issue after the first time or two.

Leia

Latest posts

Back