Hunter/Jumpers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaitlyn

Reaction score
For those of you that compete in these divisions, what do you look for in a hunter/jumper prospect? What is appropriate tack? What about mane length- is it customary to show them with the full mane of a halter horse or the braided mane of a "big" hunter/jumper? Are tails usually braided? I've noticed in videos that I have watched that most people seem to trot their horses (in hunters, at least). Is that a rule, or a personal preference? I'm interested in the sport and would love to hear of any training or general tips that anyone would like to offer. Relevant links would be appreciated as well!

Well, I will give you my personal opinions and experience (may not be much use but o well
default_laugh.png
).

I generally try training ALL of my show horses to jump when they turn 3yrs. I generally determine where they would fit by how well they like to jump. My horses that LOVE to jump make the best jumpers because they are willing and fly over the jumps and can just keep going all day. Very important to work on teaching them not to leave you behind though as it can knock your time down if you have trouble turning. My hunter horses are willing to jump because they want to please me but that makes them a bit slower pace, more in control, and easier to paint the "pretty picture". And of course there are some horses that do not want to do it at all and I have found that those arent worth forcing to do it as they wont do it as well as the ones who do. Hope all that made sense :-D

In jumper it is all on speed and clear rounds. Hunter is collected and pretty (think showmanship).

Tack is just a regular western or plain leather halter. The arabian style halters are not recommended as they are fairly fragile and the chain can accidentally bump your horse when they go over the jumps.

I show both my hunters and jumpers with braided manes and tails, it just gives them a more finished look and its fun to do
default_rolleyes.gif
....not everyone braids but prolly 50/50.

Trotting in Hunter just is easier to maintain the pretty look. It is very important to keep a constant gait. It is not pretty to walk to and from jumps because it is harder for the horses to jump at that slow pace and can take away from the look running like a madman to keep up with a loping horse
default_rolleyes.gif

My hunter horses: I think both pictures might have been taken during their jumper classes but both are currently more into hunter.

Magnum (he has potential to do jumper too if I get him fit up enough this year, has great form and speed, but can easily be slowed down for hunter)

317715_10150341772617512_236449937511_7947343_36876112_n.jpg

Pearl (did really well the one year I showed her hunter and won at the National Area 6 show, plus brought her out fat and broodmare looking last year and she won again!)

16842_237150792511_236449937511_3118045_4635460_n.jpg

I am by no means an expert, just really like these classes
default_smile.png
, hope this helps some!

Last edited by a moderator:
In Hunter, the horse should have a smooth, flowing gait. You can canter all the jumps or trot all the jumps, but it should be one consistent gait. IMO, coming from the big horse hunter world, the best moving hunter horses move like a Classic Pleasure driving horse, without a lot of knee and hock action at the trot. Daisy cutter is another term, but not incredibly slow like a western jog.

In the big horse world, the best over fence form is when the upper arm is parallel or above parallel with the ground. The knees should be up by the nose or jaw of the horse.

Here is a link to one of the world's most famous hunters of all time: Rox Dene

Knees that are pointing down are considered dangerous in the big horse world, the horse can catch the top rail and flip over. While this is unlikely to happen with a miniature, some judges may find that style unappealing. There are exercises that can help a horse develop it's best possible style.

Jumpers are not judged on style, simply height and speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input, guys! I suppose I should have mentioned that I do come from a "big horse" hunter and equitation background, but everything that was said here was still very helpful.

Melinda- I noticed that you french braided their manes- is that the customary way to do it with miniature hunter/jumpers versus the big horse button braids (which would require the mane be pulled)? I'm assuming that's so that you can still show halter classes as well?

And this is probably a stupid question, but I am assuming that it is required that the horse be on a lead while performing? Is there any particular length the lead must be?

Do you ever see a mini h/j horse requiring shoes? Do you ever train with boots or polo wraps on? Is it legal to show with boots in jumpers like in the big horse world?

How hard is it to find shows with h/j classes? Are there usually many competitors?

Yes that is the type of braiding most commonly seen and yes it is so we dont have to thin down so much for the other kind of braids and still have a nice mane for halter.

Yes the horse must be on a lead, I dont know that any length is better than another, usually just use the normal lead that came with my western halters.

Minis are not allowed to wear shoes of any kind that I know of and I dont think it is legal to have boots on in h/j classes. The only class I think any thing is allowed is bell boots for roadster classes. Hopefully someone will correct me if Im wrong!

Every show we have been to has had at least a couple of h/j classes, very popular, and around here anyways the classes are generally good size. Nationals h/j classes are insanely huge!!!

I show hunters and jumpers mostly at Pinto shows and my advice is to make sure you read the rule book!!! Rules are quite different for these classes between AMHA, AMHR and Pinto, although all three judge hunters on form and jumpers on faults (and maybe time). In PtHA for example, you MUST use a PLAIN LEATHER HALTER - no nylon, no "bling". Our horses have been shown in all three and I don't think any specify the length of the lead. I also see a lot of difference in judge's preference in hunter, with some emphasizing a steady gait, some preferring a canter, and others liking better form over the jumps. Yes, they must be on a lead. In jumper you are not penalized if the horse stops at the jump and jumps from a standtill without any backward motion. Been there, done that in Pinto and AMHR.

Read rules carefully about use of boots but they are sometimes allowed. Braiding is not normally seen a local shows because there usually just isn't time between classes. At Pinto shows you will likely find the hunters and jumpers showing in most or all the other classes too.

You already have had very good answers. I'll just add my 2 cents. Most don't braid at local shows as said the classes are too close together. With your background you should be able to handle the braiding easily if you go to Nationals. A nice tight braid looks good. A sloppy loose one would be better left long and flowing. If you are going to braid then also dress the part (especially at Nationals) by wearing Eng. clothing.

It's easier, as stated, to stay with a horse that is troting for hunter. You want your hunt course to "flow" at the same constent speed but most judges also want a trot that is "forward moving" (whatever that means). I have one horse that willingly goes at a SLOW trot and clears each jump but the judges constantly rate a (in my opinion) sloppy faster horse over her.

Latest posts

Back