Hunter Halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniNHF

Reaction score
Has anyone ever competed in a Hunter Halter class? I am going to try my had at the one at my local fair, and they said their open class does have a few miniatures that compete with the big horses.

I did ask them if I had to use a bridle, because I would have to go out and buy one for that show but they said my halter I use for the miniature shows is fine.

Im just wondering if I should braid my boys mane or just leave it as is true to the breed standards of showing? Any other thoughts or opinions are appreciated
default_smile.png

Most braid for the mini hunter classes in AMHR. They braid one braid down the crest; not the single braids like a regular horse. Patty Cloke puts out a great video showing how to train and how to braid. You probably could leave it free flowing though, since it's an open show at the fair anyway.

Most braid for the mini hunter classes in AMHR. They braid one braid down the crest; not the single braids like a regular horse. Patty Cloke puts out a great video showing how to train and how to braid. You probably could leave it free flowing though, since it's an open show at the fair anyway.
Yeah I would definitely have to practice that kind, I only know how to do the single braids down the neck for Dressage. But thanks for the info
default_smile.png

I used to braid mine for hunter classes. If the mane is long, try a running braid (its very easy once you practice a bit) if the mane isn't too long, or you really cant do a running braid, since Iits only an open show you could probably do individual braids but make them a bit thicker (in my area they call it the "European"look. See what the other exhibitors are doing that morning, if theirs are braided then try a braid if they are leaving their hair down then leave your horse's mane down too. I competed at a lot of open hunter shows as a kid and sometimes everyone had their horses braided and other times no one did, so we would play it by ear and check out what the other horses looked like so we wouldn't stand out. Have fun at your show!

I used to braid mine for hunter classes. If the mane is long, try a running braid (its very easy once you practice a bit) if the mane isn't too long, or you really cant do a running braid, since Iits only an open show you could probably do individual braids but make them a bit thicker (in my area they call it the "European"look. See what the other exhibitors are doing that morning, if theirs are braided then try a braid if they are leaving their hair down then leave your horse's mane down too. I competed at a lot of open hunter shows as a kid and sometimes everyone had their horses braided and other times no one did, so we would play it by ear and check out what the other horses looked like so we wouldn't stand out. Have fun at your show!
I wish I knew how big the classes were ahead of time; I have a few before the "open" class but the halter classes are the first ones of the day unfortunately. His mane is long but nothing past the top of his shoulder really/

A running braid ia easy. Start behind the poll where the bridle path is and pick up two small patches of hair and twist them together, then pick up another patch and twist it in. Continue braiding by twisting the braid once and then adding the next piece in like your french braiding but the space added with the twist keeps the braid from getting bumpy when the horse bends his neck. Its real easy to do and quick. I used to take my horse's braids out at shows where there was a long break between classes so they did not rub their braids and rip their hair out.

okay thanks
default_smile.png
I might try that when I go down to the barn this week to see how well I can accomplish it

Isn't Delaware hunt horse country? If the area you are in is, you might be best to braid. If the open show is a regular one (held by a club, every year), you could check with the show secretary to see what the accepted version is. Or you could see if they'd give you contact info for "regulars" at the show and find out from them...

We've done pulled manes, no braiding (not showing breed shows at that time- wouldn't have worked to do both), pulled manes-single, small braids, long manes loose and long manes french braided. I learned the hard way to really thin the mane to allow the french braid to stay in, LOL. I LOVE the idea of the twists between the actual sections - I will have to try that out!

c72c.jpg
39c4.jpg

We used the halter I'd had made for this mare locally. If we do it again, we'd use her bridle and remove the reins - putting a double line/ring hook to the bit and a single lead (could even use the reins, just hook 1 end to the "y-split" at the bit). The riding class was after her halter and showmanship classes. We didn't remove the braid between since the classes were in the morning - almost back to back. We did keep her head up (no grazing) to keep her from pulling her mane apart. Yes, Magic is in foal. She had a beautiful Shetland filly in Jan 99. That filly went to a pony show series in Maryland/Delaware in 2000 and did well for us!

Here is a pic of our stallion when we competed in open shows with him. We have a large contingent of hunter folk here, so I did pull his mane that year to the proper length, but didn't braid him. He is wearing a custom made "stallion halter" that is fashioned after the ones Welsh pony stallions wear when shown. It was made by D. Lutke. He did well for us that year at local shows - and generated some nice pony sales for a time... I didn't have any purebred shetlands at the time (other than him and his daughter) - most were larger xbred ponies (1/2 shetland). I now know that even for open shows, I should have polished his hooves in at least a clear polish (I prefer clear since our ponies almost all have striped hooves and white socks - I don't like black hooves against white chrome, never have).

63fc.jpg

This is a daughter of the stallion above. She was always shown in-hand (halter and showmanship) with the bridle and reins - at several different open show venues. This was taken in 2001. We were told many times that the mane on the left is wrong - it's supposed to be on the right. However, I'd given up on "training" her mane - like her sire, right from birth her mane "insisted" on laying to the left. All of her full sisters' manes laid "properly" on the right side. Since we've sold her - the original purchaser put her with a H/J barn and they found the same thing - but they do the work required to "make" it stay on the right... This professional braid job is awesome!! I don't have a close up of her in hand after I'd sold her... W/ the H/J barn she is presented in a bridle when in-hand.

ab0a.jpg
7136.jpg

I thought I had a lot more pictures of our ponies braided with french braids, but apparently I don't. I even did a continental braid once on a 1/2 shetland/arab, took a while to do and I left it in all day simply because of the work entailed!! Pony stayed tied w/ a hay net and water bucket hung where could be reached. Hmmm....

One of the local open show venues here now works with many different breed organizations (including AMHR) and riding disciplines (h/j; dressage; trail; gaited horse) and now has halter/in-hand classes for those. They have posted rules now for the individual classes - I will have to go thru the rules to see what they have to say about the presentation of the hunter in-hand classes as to braiding and halter vs bridle.

I did the hunter show on sunday and there were all kinds from pulled to braided etc. I did a running braid but he was a little stressed because it was his first "Big" horse show to be in so the braid didnt come out the way I wanted it to from the lack of him standing still (im a perfectionist with that) and I just un-did the braid at the last second.

Our turn out believe it or not was a lot better then some of the girls who I could tell this wasnt their first rodeo like mine and my mini's which i was a surprised.

paintponylvr - Thanks for all the info and the photos. I can do the normal braids down the mane since I had plenty of practive for dressage competitions when I did eventing. I might do that next time when this open show rolls around.

Latest posts

Back