Hunter/Jumper

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have looked over the AMHA rulebook for hunter and jumper show rules. Wanted to get some advise from people who have actually shown in these though. I have a gelding that I would like to show in hunter and/or jumper. Is one easier or less complicated for me as a handler? I have been training the gelding myself, he LOVES to jump which helps. He never refuses, he would rather knock a pole and try then refuse. Currently he is able to clear 32" easy. He will stay at my side in a trot or canter. He has very nice form as well. This is only my second show so I'm trying to figure out which would be simpler for me to do and what the main differences are. Thank you all for the help, it's much appreciated!!
default_thumbup.gif

Hunter is a steady pace. One trip around and judged on form and consistancy of performance. Jumper is clear rounds where after each clear round they will raise a jump then you go through and jump again. And again and again and again until only one horse jumps clear or if none jump clear it is the horse with the least amount of "faults" ie: knockdowns/refusals.

I think hunter is easier but maybe that is because I am old and get tired in jump-offs! Plus I don't do AMHA but there are lots of other shows that offer these around here. If your horse would rather knock down a jump than refuse, that can actually hurt you in jumper because a refusal is 3 faults and a knock-down is 4. If he stays at your side and has good form then I would pick hunter. He needs to keep a consistent gait also. Here is a photo of our retired broodmare at her first show, winning hunter with a young 4-Her showing a mini for the first time. I was pretty proud of them!!!

2013-07-21-goshen-eve-sox-hunter-2.jpg

I think Jumper is easier because I don't need to worry about form, gaits, etc just RUN and JUMP ! I would try both and see which one you like better. If you aren't a fast runner, hunter may be better for you.

It usually depends on your horse. Jumpers class is generally for the horse that can jump high w/ out knocking over the jump. They jump a round and those that have a clean course, will do a jump off and they raise the jumps. They continue to raise the jump height 'til someone faults. These jumps can be really high and you have to have a good jumper. And you have to be in shape to run several rounds. The horse's form is not judged and the main purpose is getting over the jumps. The Hunter class is judged strictly on the horse's form over the jump as well as throughout the course. You need to pick one gait and stick with it through the whole course. Usually the horses trot, as the handlers have a hard time keeping the horse at a canter through the whole course. So this means, your horse should not canter steps between the jumps. They shouldn't be pushy with you as you turn left & right through the course. And they should of course have pretty form over the jump. You just have one round to make and they do not raise the jumps. I think the max height is 24". So it depends on the horse.

Reactions: KLM
I think there are pros and cons to each one. like with hunter, you have to stay at the same gait, my gelding gets excited to the jump and then canters. But my mare does great staying at a trot. But like some of the comments above mention, Jumpers can be FAST, and when you do two times of a full course going full speed, you feel it afterwards, especially when its hot!
default_giveup.gif
But a good thing about Jumper is that it doesn't matter about anything but time/faults.

For AMHA a jumper is not timed or judged on form/way of going as long as they get over even if from a stand still we had a mare who would come to the jump stand in front of it and then jump the thing that was her way while others trot up and go over.. there only faulted on knock downs and if they refuse to go over on the third try they are out...we have jumpers that can clear 40" but not a one who can do a decent round of hunter going over small jumps...

I haven't been to an AMHA show in quite a while but in AMHR they use flowers or tarps under the jumps or make them look like walls for hunter so be sure your guy doesn't refuse just because it "looks" different.

i have one that will jump anything and has cleared 36" but my other horse has to be reminded every year that those flowers won't "eat" him.

Latest posts

Back