Hunter class question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Range

Reaction score
I know in Hunter classes the horse has to maintain the same gait throughout. Are they penalized if they land in a canter and continue in a trot? Also, do most of you prefer to take them through at a canter or a fast trot?

Thanks.

Most Minis go through Hunter courses at an even trot and very few can pull it off at a canter but when they do, WOW. :new_shocked: As your horse is supposed to maintain the same gait throughout the course, yes, you will likely be marked down if your horse lands and continues on at the wrong gait even if it's only for a few strides.

Yes you must keep your horse at an even pace at all times, weather its trot or canter. Thats why you see very few horses canter the whole course. If your horse is an awsome jumper and has fantastic style you really don't want to trot them cause more than likely he will break his pace, so alot of people canter them at those times. Style is MAJOR importance in hunter.

Whether you canter or trot depends on the horse.

I have one horse that will canter the entire course. He won National Hunter in Australia in 2005.

I have another horse that does the entire course on a long rope at an easy trot and she is also a National winner.

It is much more difficult to control a horse cantering, IMO, but if you can pull it off... it does look awfully nice.

Samantha

http://www.sabledesign.com/kingpark

AUSTRALIA

Trot or canter... totally through the course. If you choose to canter, start with a circle and pick up your canter but make sure you can get the lead changes. A choice of trot we have done straight to fence #1.

I found a trot easier on me - harder for the horse which is why they often break to the canter based on the way they land after a jump. A well-trained horse can land after a fence taken at the trot and can continue thus on the proper gait - any canter step should be penalized by a judge as a break of gait if a horse started the course at the trot.

Best of luck - we love hunter and jumper classes and hope to get our green horses going again this year.

Denise

Silversong Farm

Latest posts

Back