How to show, what to feed, and how to prep.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaraSheidy

Reaction score
What do you guys feed your show minis, how do you prep them for the show, what do you do to train them, What are your ques, what classes do you show in?

Hi Lara,

I am new to minis too (we showed QH for 20+ years), so I am sure you will get some great info from much more experienced competitors than I am with the minis, but I would suggest that you maybe look at videos on youtube? (That is what I have been doing.) If you put AMHR or AMHA show in the search function, it will bring up show videos so you can see what types of preparation you will need for you and your horse, as well as show you all of the classes, and give you an idea of what is offered and the levels of competition.

Also, go to shows and watch if you have any in your area you can attend. Doing that gave me a very good idea of the types of classes I thought I'd have an interest in.

If you have a trainer in your area, maybe see if you can work with them for a "mini clinic" where they can come to your place or you can go to theirs for a day or two and learn all about what kinds of classes you might want to go in and how to prepare yourself and your horse.

Good luck!

Thank you! I am in pa and there are no rated shows near me lol.

I see that Bernville is just above Reading and Harrisburg. I think my club has members in that general area. We have 5 shows a year in Thurmont, MD which is just at 2 hours from Bernville. I myself drive almost the same distance/time from northern Harford County which is south of York. I plan this year to not only attend my club's shows (which are not rated) but also attend the Delaware club's AMHR show in July and the Old Dominion Club's AMHA/AMHR show in Herdon, VA in early May. Both of these shows are rated/sanctioned.

This will be my first shows at rated ones since starting to show 3 years ago. Here's a link to our club: http://themdmha.com/

There is also another club: http://www.allstateminiaturehorseanddonkeyclub.com/ They also do several shows a year (non-rated/sanctioned), in the Chambersburg area I believe.

Getting started at a non-rated show is a great way to get started. Definitely less expensive (no overnight stays, stall fees, etc.) I started in 2010 knowing NOTHING. By showing up and jumping in with both feet, along with the help of great club members who showed me the ropes and answered all my questions, I have had great success. Including 2 supreme wins in halter this year (see my pic to the left). I also started in performance classes this year. I managed to improve my placements from the beginning of the show season to the end (May-July).

Good luck. Don't hesitate to contact me directly if you'd like to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome job! I'd love to show with you guys. Let me look into it. When is your next show? Thanks.

MDMHA's first show of the 2014 is May 4th. Our shows are always on Sundays. First class begins @9am. I try to get there by 8am even though my first class isn't usually until later in the morning. This year I am going to try showmanship which is the first class, so I definitely plan to be there by 8am to get set up and prepped.

Our next general club meeting is in February (I think and its held in Gettysburg) and we'll be at the PA Horse Expo in Harrisburg this year as well, which is scheduled for late February I believe. http://www.horseworldexpo.com/ Come down and introduce yourself
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In regard to feeding show horses- I dont really change anything on mine. As long as the horse is healthy, fit and in good shape, they should look good for the ring also.

Latest posts

Back