How to make mane & tail grow?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
how to make your horses mane and tail grow my stallions mane just will not grow

HELP

Have you tried frequent conditioning treatments such as hot oil? Cowboy magic is great if they have that in Australia. Also have you tried using a tail braid or a tail bag? (Although they aren't great during the summer with flies). Make sure you aren't brushing the tail unless it is wet and fully conditioned--pulling at dry hair creates breakage.

lycra-tail-braid-medium-3004824-150-1286878262000.jpg
TT_TBag_300.jpg

Do you know how to make one of those braided tail wraps? You cut cotton sheet into 3 strips and wrap like a mummy 3 strands of horse tail, then braid. Before you do that, you should wash the tail and put in leave in conditioner. Take it off periodically, re-wash and condition, then wrap up again.

Good luck!

Is your stallion rubbing his mane on something? We have a mini who does that and we had to cover his mane with a mane tamer so he couldn't rub the hairs out.

Shapleys Original MTG, I used it heavily back when I showed the big horses, my halter horses had to have very long tails and manes! Also the braided tail wraps can be cut shorter and used on the manes too!

...and then there are some horses who simply are follicly challenged...not ALL minis are Fabio lookalikes!

My gelding, Mingus, despite his incredible body coat, does not grow long or thick mane or tail. He is on an excellent diet plus BOSS. I tried biotin and all it did was make his body coat longer and thicker. (We show him in his natural coat, so THAT was NOT what we wanted!)

His mane and tail are quite a rich, glossy black, and others have told me I'm lucky not to have to thin or force it to lie down. Unfortunately, I have a passion for hair...but I've had to accept his wimpy tresses.

The one thing that DOES work is to be extremely careful not to break or pull and hairs. I always use Cowboy Magic prior to grooming, and use my fingers to work out any tangles. I never use Showsheen or other products with silicone or other substances that can damage the hair shaft.

Your stallion may simply not be genetically predisposedfor long, thick locks.

Woodwinds' Mingus

mingusccfair-web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back