How to get a horse used to.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimie28

Reaction score
I have 2 horses that totally PANIC when I try to spray them with fly spray? How can I get them used to it so they do not stress out so bad?

LOL, I have some that will stand for it, and some, that have also been sprayed for a zillion years, that still wont. For those, I usually put on a halter and just hold the lead- and if they want to panic and go in a circle, they can go around me in a small circle while I keep spraying. I will talk to them in a quiet voice also and keep things quiet. They settle down quickly... the aged ones usually stand there, once the halter is on and they know they can't get away, LOL They may not like it, but they stand for it.

I never spray their face area. I put it on my hand and rub their face, being careful to avoid their eyes. Then dont forget to wash your hands!

I have had a few that just never liked it, but a couple that will just stand loose in the pasture and let me spray them....

My gelding, Mingus, is so cool and calm -- on his second drive on the open trail, a bicycle came up from behind and he didn't bat an eye. But fly spry...scary stuff!! Clicker training, which works for everything with him, didn't help in the least.

The worst thing is, he is allergic to fly bites, so he really needs to be protected.

I'm going to try one of those dish soap applicators -- the kind with a sponge on the end and a reservoir for the soap. It'll take a bit longer, but he gets too worked up with the spray, and I figure it's better just to avoid the issue and take the wimpy way out...

If I have oe that is scared of the sprayer...I take another sprayer and fill it with just water and spray them all the time...everytime I go out, I halter, spray and treat...it doesn't take long for them to think of it as a possitive experience.
default_yes.gif

I've never worked with/had a horse that didn't eventually -usually very quickly- get over their fear of the dreaded spray bottle. Just repetition. If they truly get freaked out, just spray it on a rag and wipe them down.

I am working with Bonny on that now. I think between the spray and the smell its scary stuff!

I also do not spray their face I wipe.

My Paint mare was wacko about fly spray when she first came to me. I tried to do the halter and lead but she would pull away and drag me around. SO.... we built a stock for washing and spraying and general maintenance such as shots and injuries.

Every time I would put her in there. Now sheis so used to me doing anything to her she doesnt need to go in it.

Just like Sue_C I get another spray bottle, just fill it up with water, and spray, spray like there is no tomorrow. Just make sure your horse's head is pointing towards you cause less chance for the horse too run away, best it will do is just run in circles, but you know it doesn't matter cause all you are spraying is water. Keep spraying til they have come to a full stop and they are relaxed, and just do it again. Even tho you won't be spraying fly spray on their face go ahead and do the same thing but with the water and spray it on their face.

The smell also isn't what the horses are scared of, its the feel of the spray and the sound of the bottle is usually what they are scared about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yes, fly spray is scary stuff! I agree with others' techniques BUT with my horses it helps a lot to also "show" them what it is I'm going to do - especially my so-curious gelding - so I spray in front of him (but not on him) where he can see and hear what the sprayer does (water bottle would be good for this) and then I spray his lower front legs so he can still see what I'm doing, and then I move further up and back. Works great, but then my gelding has an unhealthy interest in mechanical stuff - hoses, tractors, wheelbarrows, you name it...

I pet/groom at the same time I spray, and spray close to the body, that seems to help them get used to it, though I get fly spray all over my hands. As buggy as it is right now, I don't really care!

Repetition. I have 6 fillies that think they are just going to die. I started using fly spray 3 days ago. I just halter them, do it in their stall and back them into a corner and spray away. Then move them to a different corner.

One day with horrid flies, the next, spray and not so bad on flies. They are getting used to the spray quickly. They are pretty smart!

I have some that willdance around a little bit, but will let ya do it. My stallion hates it! HE will rear and go bonkers. I have always talked calm to himwhile doing it and it doesnt matter. I have to spray it on a rag and rub it all over and he doesnt mind that. Defintely have to still halter him, but it goes better. My new mare that freaked over wormer, stands very still for fly spray. I have only had my stallion for a year and after many sprayings, he is still a jerk about it. He also will not keep a fly mask on at all! No matter if I hook it with a halter or alone, he gets it off.

Marsha

I have two that are doing that now. I also, halter them if needed. I have tried the Absorbine fly two week applications that go on like frontline,etc. on a dog/cat. I put it on my 2 QH's and it lasted for about two weeks. It was a lot cheaper too.

I haven't tried it on the miniatures. But it might be something to look into(no spraying).

Kim

My opinion is that it isn't the actual spray that scares my horses...it is the sound. So, that being said, I never spray without warning. I pet and lightly go shshshshsh.................... and then get louder, then I spray. I think they startle at the initial sound otherwise.

I just start at the least objectionable area and go from there. I do the MAJORITY of my handling without a halter/lead I'm LAZY that way. Tweet is the only horse I have that is ticklelish (sp) and after she does the fly spray dance she will settle down and let me finish. I have to do her in her stall she would have too much fun watching me chase her around the arena.

I use the art of distraction, food, I spray mine while he is eating and since he is pre-occupied with food he doesn't seem to mind. When I first started I still had to give the occasional "whoa" and did have to use a halter every now and then but now he doesn't mind at all.

I have one that thinks she is being tortured and rears like the dickens. I just got to the point where I ignore her and don't make a big deal out of it. I just hold the lead and spray regardless case closed your done go play now and see you lived through it again. Amen.

I do what Matt does if they don't like to be sprayed I spray it on a rag and wipe it on, prefer doing it with a rag if they have foals.

Thanks everybody for your ideas and experience with this traumatizing event that these poor horses have to deal with because we love them so and want to provide relief for them!
default_wacko.png

My trainer said to have halter and lead on, take the bottle and rub it all over them like petting with it to get them used to the bottle itself first and then spray legs first, then the rest till they get the idea that it's not as bad as it seems. Of course spray hands or towel and rub the face.

I like the idea of spraying a towel and doing the rub down but then I would prefer them to get used to the spray so I can get in, get out and move on to the next.

I think I am going to try all of the above until I find what works for each of them. Wish me luck!

Latest posts

Back