How to brighten white manes??/

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casilda

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I was just wondering if you have tips on how to brighten a mane on a silver dapple mare?

I have used cowboy magic yellow out a few times now and there is still a tinge of yellow in it and looks quite dull
default_wacko.png

Any help much appreciated
default_rolleyes.gif

I use one of the "purple colored" whitening shampoos. It will really brighten the mane / tail but have to be careful and not leave it in too long or it leaves a blue-ish tint to the hair.

I have used one of them too.. Blue shampoo and it still didnt lift the yellow
default_no.gif

Sometimes the mane and tail on silver dapples is not "supposed" to be sparkling white. Some have cool tones and come white but others have warm tones and keep a bit of a beige cast to them... Here is one of my silver mares that has a warmer toned mane and tail, before and after whitening shampoo.

HOPE%20Horses%20--%2005202007%20--%20122%20MARES.jpg
HOPE%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20019%20MARES.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She is a beautiful Mare Jill ..

I know they can have different tones but last year my mare had a pure white mane and tail and this year her tail and forelock are white but the rest of her mane is dull and yellow
default_wacko.png

Some one suggested net curtain cleaner ?? but scared that might turn her mane orange
default_biggrin.png

Thank you for the compliment
default_wub.png

How old is your mare? A lot of times, silver dapple horses' m/t's get darker as they mature or get older.

PS I'm not smart enough to know what net curtain cleaner is
default_smile.png

The net curtain cleaner is for getting your curtains bright white
default_biggrin.png

My mare is three this year ..

You can use a little laundry blueing mixed with a shampoo to wash the mane and tail. Vivid liquid laundry detergent works well too, but make sure to over condition the mane and tail after you wash with it. Alot of the blue/purple shampoos for whitening have blueing in them, it can make hair brittle when used frequently. You can also put a tablespoon or two of blueing in a 5 gallon bucket of water and use it as a final rinse on the mane and tail, but once again, make sure to use show sheen or a similar detangling/conditioning product afterward.

We use Superpoo shampoo and ShowClean as an extra whitener--we show palominos and silver blacks, so lots of "white" manes and tails here, and this combination gets sparkling white manes & tails every time for us--and some of those tails start out very yellow too.

I agree, though, it is possible for silvers have their mane & tail change color. I've got a silver bay mare here that had a very light colored mane when she was younger, now it has turned quite a grubby looking yellow/brown shade.

I've used cat urine carpet cleaner to help get the yellow out. Just make sure to rinse thoroughly and use a conditioner afterwards. I've had good luck with it.

It's probably changed colors as she aged. I've seen pics of Domingos mane when he was younger and it was super white, now that he's nine it has a lot of beige in it. Unfortunately, I think it will never be white like that again. The hairs arent stained, it's just their color now. Oh how I wish it was still pearly white. I have pictures if you would like to see.

I have gray hair which gets a yellow tint to it occasionally. I use a shampoo called SO SILVER made by a company called Matrix. I buy it at the beauty salon at Walmart. You can also get it online. Just google so silver shampoo. Wet the hair, apply the shampoo, let it sit for about 10 minutes, rinse out, and voila! This stuff works wonders on my hair. I've used it on manes and tails too.

The best we've found so far is a product called WOW! it is from Healing Tree. You spray it on, leave it in & when it drys, it really will make you say WOW.
default_smile.png

Thanks for all the advise ..I will search these products on the internet and let you all know how I get on .
default_wink.png

There was a discussion back in like February about whitening white manes and tails, and somebody posted about using baking soda and vinegar to help whiten them. Hopefully, this will work, here's a link to that discussion:

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...104883&st=0

The second page has all the information on using baking soda and vinegar to whiten, you'll have to read just about the whole thread to get all the directions, as part was left out in the first post.

I have a silver dapple mare that looks a lot like Jills. I went crazy trying every suggestion under the sun to get her mane and tail white instead of a creamy color with beige mixed in. I gave up and at Nationals last year I wore a cream/beige outfit that complimented her mane/tail coloring and was surprised by all the compliments by people that thought it looked really nice and they noted the fact that my outfit complimented and highlighted her coloring. I know it wasn't just the oufits, but we won a couple of reserve champion titles together after that.

I am going to try the baking soda and vinegar thing though to see what happens.

OH.....I'd been told Wisk laundry soap was awesome for getting manes/tails/socks white.......unfortunately turned out she was allergic, broke out in big hives and needed an allergy shot to get rid of them.

I found a fantastic product called Champion Tails stain remover .. it did a fantastic job on my mare's mane..

Thanks for all your help ..I got some great ideas from you all
default_smile.png

Quoting from Sanny's post:

"OH.....I'd been told Wisk laundry soap was awesome for getting manes/tails/socks white.......unfortunately turned out she was allergic, broke out in big hives and needed an allergy shot to get rid of them"

Sorry Sanny, I was probably the one that told you, but have never heard of a horse having a reaction, but there is always a first.

We use Wisk and LOVE it. Actually we have a silver bay and white stallion and Sanny's husband asked us at the last show how we get him so white. Just make sure you shampoo on and rinse well. We have never left it on for extended periods of time, just rub it in and rinse it out. We only use it on their body where it is white and mane and tails if they are white.

This may sound really "off The wall" but while grooming on the Grand Prix circiut we used Tire Wall cleaner on our horses who had white any where on their body.... I have used it only on the mane and tail of my loud pinto , Ex ( see hm in my avatar used tire cleaner on his yellow mane) with great results...Its cheap and comes in a spray bottle, just sponge wet the mane/tail then spray in the Tire wll cleaner working it through the mane/tail just like shampoo and then let it set no more than 5 mins then rinse out really well.. Then you have a pretty white mane.....

I would not sugest using it on the whole body white of a horse or the face but it does work great on white socks so long as you rinse it off after "whiting" the legs..

Jenn

Latest posts

Back