How Tall Should Stallion Be For Maiden 29 inch Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkf

Reaction score
Hello Everbody,

I have a 29 inch maiden mare that is 3 years old. I would like to breed her to my 32 inch Stallion this year but am concerned about the difference in height between them.

Would you please give me some information from anyone that has had experience with or knows about this type of situation?

Thanks.

Hi.

I bred my 30" mare to a 32" stallion and the foal got stuck and died. It was a dog sitter so not a case of being too big.

Her second foal she snuck in with the stallion for five minutes one day and I thought nothing of it. Eleven months later I was mucking around and checked her udder and it was fairly sizeable. She gave birth to a colt who would have gone flying out if the mare sneezed and the father was a 36" stallion. There is no saying how lucky on unlucky you may get.

Also looking back in the horses lines might help you determine foal size because some genetics such as size can come back into it. If the mare or stallion has bigger horses in their lines it's a risk you will have added.

For a maiden mare I would normally recommend closer to her height BUT refinement really is key. Is the stallion a proven producer of refined foals and do they generally stay smaller or does he throw bigger than himself. Bloodlines can help show what he might throw also. If he throws really broad foreheads or a more refined head is really important too. Just remember with any breeding things can go wrong and you have to be prepared for that.

I totally agree - the height of the stallion has NOTHING to do with how successful the mare will be in carrying - and delivering - the foal. The stallion's refinement is key. This has nothing to do with how "chunky" the stallion is - it is how small-boned he is. OFTEN (but not always), the smaller the stallion, the heavier the bone is - which often results in a wider head, wider hips, making it harder for the mare to deliver. Make sure the stallion is very fine-boned, and you should be ok.

Ditto to the Refinement of the stallion.......and be sure to look at how the mare is built as well.... I actually like a good broad hip and

a slightly longer body on a broodmare. The wispy fillies winning in the show ring don't always prove to be problem-free in the

foaling stall......

I agree with what has already been posted - research the background of both horses looking for any 'larger' horses hidden there, plus check on any offspring from the stallion. Is your mare 3 or 4 this year - if coming 3 then I would wait until next year anyway. How is she built? Is she fully mature both mentally and physically? Some young mares are simply not mentally ready to become Mums! But as has already been said, breeding is a bit of a lottery and things can go wrong however hard you try to do the right thing. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back