How much to feed a 26" yearling and other questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
Hi

Some of you may have read my other post about my mini having raspy breathing. The vet says her soft palate is partially covering her trachea and that I can manage this condition to some extent by keeping her weight down and by keeping her fit. She has a bit of a belly but is not obese.

How do I exersize a 26" mini yearling ? Lunge her ? For how long ?

Would taking her for walks up the road be enough exercise ? How long should I walk her for ?

Also

How much hay would you give to a 26" mini yearling horse and a 30" mini yearling donkey.

They get fed together so I need an estimate for the 2 of them. Right now I have been giving

them a good healthy flake 2 times a day when they are in the dirt paddock.

Can she still go out on grass every couple days for a couple hours ?

Thanks in advance
default_smile.png

3029_84365966973_599396973_2520173_5241756_n.jpg

Is there any reason that she cannot be out all the time??

My 25" yearling is out with her big sister (3 days younger and 32" high!!) and they are just fine on grass all the time.

They have a run in with a hay rack that I just keep full, and they get fed once a day as well, although to be honest they do not need it as they are full of grass, so they just get chaff, grain and beet pulp.

They are as happy as larry.

If she is getting the correct amount of protein and has been wormed properly she should not have a belly of any sort, my two are a bit fat but they do not have "bellies"

Latest posts

Back