How much longer can she hold on

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickysminis

Reaction score
Having lost a foal a little over a week ago, from my maiden mare Bagpuss, i am now very anxiously awaiting the, hopefully, safe arrival of my second and last foal of 2011.

Bubbles is now at 343 days and having foaled last year on her due date i was expecting this foal yesterday! I wouldn't normally worry about this mare but with what happened to Bagpuss i am now more worried than usual and the longer she keeps me waiting the more worried i get.

Both these mares were due the same day (my colt accidentially got in with them both last year) but as i said Bagpuss foaled just over a week ago and the foal was either dead on delivery or died very shortly after, unfortunatley i was not there when she foaled.

The one difference i have noticed though is that a few days before Bagpuss foaled i didnt see any movement from the, previously very active, foal, which i just put down to there not being enough room, i now wonder if there was a problem. Whereas with Bubbles her foal is still very active, just this morning i saw it kicking and wriggling about, could this be it getting ready for birth? I hope so! I'm not sure how much more of this waiting i can take
default_biggrin.png

Hi Nicky,

So sorry Bagpuss lost her foal. As far as Bubbles is concerned, a lot of mares seem to be hanging on to their foals longer this year - although with the gorgeous weather we are having here at the moment, one would think they would happily foal their babies out into this sunshine! Bubbles has foaled successfully before, so I think you will just have to keep an eye open for any last minute signs and do your best to be with her. Hope your wait is not too long.

Good luck!

Anna

My mares normally foal between 320 - 330 days and this year my maiden mare went 352 days. She foaled a bit larger foal than I was expecting for a first foal. But he was very healthy and strong. So hang in there, seems like mares are overcookng babies this year.

I know mares that have gone much longer so do not worry. Also, if she feels disturbed a lot, she can postpone it. (dont know if you have her on camera or are physically checking her a lot) I had two due the same time one year and one was a couple of weeks prior to the date and one a couple of weeks after the date so the foals were a month apart, LOL Also had a couple that were NOT due at the same time that were born about 10 minutes apart!

Latest posts

Back