How much land do I really need?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live 15 min. south of Louisville Kentucky..We ride and cart on the roads all the time..Where I board now is 4 doors down from the store..I walk and cart the Minis there all the time..Best place to socialize them..We ride horseback to the Dairy Queen...hehehe..And as far as zoning here,they are a form of transportation..But you had better not park your vehicle in the grass..IT IS AGAINST THE LAW..lol...It MUST be on pavement..

IMO as long as you have animal rights on your property a 1/4 acre would be fine. I have 2 minis, a huge dog kennel, chickens, a huge garden, and an empty paddock on my 1/3 acre. The minis have plenty of room to kick up their heels. I let them out to graze on the lawn a little in the summer. Other than that they have no grazing. I just feed year round and make sure they get out plenty. Clementine is driving now so she gets plenty of "out" time and Major gets to go on walks with my son. Whatever works for you. A well cared for mini would be happier in a 12'x12' stall than an neglected mini would be on several acres. They will be happiest staying with you so I think you can make it work on whatever size property you find
default_smile.png

Like others have pointed out - it depends on your local zoning laws, region, type of grass, how much you plan to pick the area clean, how much hay you want to feed, etc.

I've found with horses - smaller are per animal actually ends up being more work because there needs to be more care in keeping the area well picked out, grass maintenance, hay feeding, etc.

We have about 1/2 acre dedicated to the 3 minis (1 donkey and 2 mini mares). We have their main area that is about 80X80 feet. This area has some grass growing but a lot of it is "dry lot" type of ground. It gets mowed for weed control more than anything. Then off this we have the rest of their 1/2 acre that they are let out on for a few hours a day. This area has had to be mowed several times this summer to keep the grass down because they could not keep up.

But that is here in KY. In other areas with different soil and grass that area may not be worth anything more than exercise room and can't maintain enough grass. It all depends.

Back