How Much Does The Horse's Registered Name Matter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, yes it does matter to some extent to me.

If the horse would just be a broodmare, then no...i would not pass up the horse based on its registration name. However, if i was purchasing a show horse and i really really did not like the name or found it was silly then i could probably pass it up. I always imagine it being announced over speaker. Then with a stallion, i like a catchy name that i can name babies after (like Jill, i have a list a MILE & half long). When Dev and I bought Rox, we named him Mardi Gras On The Rox as that give us a lot to play with when naming babies "On the ___ of GCF" ext ext or something of that sort.

For those of you who hate misspelled names. I will tell you a story...... I named a horse once and sent the papers in, kept a copy of them and when I got her papers back AMHA had spelled her name wrong. I contacted them right away to get it corrected. Had a bit of trouble getting them to correct it, faxed them a copy of the paperwork I had sent in, so they did change it. But.... how many people go to the trouble or even notice when the papers come back. If it is not caught right away, I am not sure they would change it.

I suspect that hoeny was miss typed an no one corrected it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I really like the horse the name won't make a difference but it may make a difference on whether I show it or not. I have a horse here that I won't take out in the ring because I don't want to hear its registered name announced in connection to my farm.
default_wacko.png
I think names for horses can, just as it has been proven for human names, make or break a horse in the showring or breeding pen.
I'm not sure I really get that, or maybe it's just that I don't agree. When it comes to successfully showing and breeding, it's a whole lot more than just a catchy name!
default_smile.png

However, I do always think "how will this name sound when a win is announced?" I love that kind of daydreaming
default_yes.gif
Its been proven that teachers will subconsciously mark students with unpopular names lower than students with more acceptable names. Its just like the person said in another post, she wouldn't buy a dog by the name of Mahmoud because of the connotations - a judge might subconsciously disregard the dog because of the feeling that name provokes.

For those of you who hate misspelled names. I will tell you a story...... I named a horse once and sent the papers in, kept a copy of them and when I got her papers back AMHA had spelled her name wrong. I contacted them right away to get it corrected. Had a bit of trouble getting them to correct it, faxed them a copy of the paperwork I had sent in, so they did change it. But.... how many people go to the trouble or even notice when the papers come back. If it is not caught right away, I am not sure they would change it.
I suspect that hoeny was miss typed an no one corrected it.
I was wondering if this could be the case because I know the registries can make mistakes... I have papers from last years foals where they put both of the foals have blue eyes when only one set of paperwork was marked with blue eyes but they wrote down on both sets that they have blue eyes... Just happens sometimes.

People have given many examples of why they consider a horse's name........

HOWEVER, a WONDERFUL HORSE is a WONDERFUL HORSE. Screw what his or her name is. If you are looking at the "end product" when it comes to either showing or breeding.......Does it really matter? The end result is ......the end result.

To me names matter. But we have a horse, my mom does not like his registered name, Festervans Whisky River so she came up with another name, Mr. Knightly, after the character on Emma, her favorite movie. We only hear his registered name at shows. Another time I bought a horse who's name was K&Ks Capt Long John Silver. His previous owner called him Silver, but I had just sold a horse named Silver and didn't want another one, so I called him Captain. But she would ask, "How is Silver doing?" when I called him Captain. Confusing! But I really love names with combined elements like Windstorm or Golden Flame or Silver Mist. Or heroic type names such as Trailblazer, Captain, Major... But I guess that comes from someone who really likes to read a lot.

It would not stop me from buying a horse, but most have barn names anyhow.

I have a filly by Candyland's Best Kept Secreat. Yep, Secreat with an "a". ??? So when I named my filly, spelled it the same way to tie to the bloodline.

I have a mare named Little Flea - hate it - call her Leah

My niece was here one year when I had foals, and she wanted to call one Snugglepuss cutie pants. Nope - not in this life time. Maybe a barn cat, but not one of my horses.

I have announced open horse shows in the past, and am pretty good (if I do say so myself
default_rolleyes.gif
), at weird names. Especially quarter horse people. = like Super Docs Smiln Dans rediornot. But it's funny when announcers really have no clue how to sound out and make sense of the names.

I heard of a race horse named "Hoof Hearted". Looks good on paper . . . .but down the backstretch??

I have to agree with "gatorbait4sure" for some reason the word Booger really makes me almost ill. I know thats dumb but its kind of a gross name for a pretty horse.
default_no.gif

If I loved the horse the name wouldn't bother me since I give them my own barn names and usually never think about their papered names.

If I liked the horse but hated the name I'd still buy the horse. I would however pay to get the name changed if I could. My husband and I change almost everyone's name here. "Atlas" became "Triggernometry"- the breeder let me name him on the registration papers, "Tyler" became "Bullet", and "CoCo" is now "Goliath". And the word "booger" makes me ill, too, so does "spit".

I thought once the horse was registered the name could not be changed.

How are you paying to change the name?????

Fun topic!! I name my horses after great Race Horses as I'm a fan. We have Citation, Omaha, Whirlaway, etc. How do you all come up with names besides just a combination of sire & dam names?

I would probably buy a great horse with a crummy name but I would not like it! I personally don't like names that reference drinking & alcohol (i.e. Whiskey, Tequila, etc.)

Fun topic!! I name my horses after great Race Horses as I'm a fan. We have Citation, Omaha, Whirlaway, etc. How do you all come up with names besides just a combination of sire & dam names?
I would probably buy a great horse with a crummy name but I would not like it! I personally don't like names that reference drinking & alcohol (i.e. Whiskey, Tequila, etc.)
Good question. My prefix is Songcatcher. My foals are named after songs, singers, or musical related themes (instraments, chords, etc.)

Some of the songs I have named foals after may be quite old (from my childhood) and possibly little known, but either associate a foal with an event (Footprints In The Snow) or incorporate ancestors names in them (Chariot of Fire) or both (Walking After Midnight).

Being a T Totaller, I share your dislike of alcohol related names and do not ever envision naming a foal after drinking songs.

You can see the names of some of my past foals here http://www.songcatcherminiaturehorseranch.com/nash_009.htm

Have to say there's quite a few names that make me stop and go "HUH!?" or "WHY ON EARTH!?" lol but can't say that it would stop me from purchasing if the horse had everything else I'm looking for..

People up the street from me have a registered Paint named "Captain Underpants" His barn name is WEGGIE!! new_rofl.gif new_rofl.gif
I know that horse! Net friend on a Paint Horse board bred/used to own him, not sure if she still does or not..

I like the different/unique/out there names, more memorable, BUT if you're going to use that naming route, at least use some taste.. I remember coming across an AQHA cremello mare with the name, CreaminHerPants.. What the!? There's a gorgeous bay overo paint stallion by the name "Play With My Zipper".. And there's a hot up and coming ApHC stallion by the name "Nasty Attitude" who is already a World Champ, and from what I've heard from people who have seen/met him in person he's the complete opposite of his name
default_laugh.png

Some spellings are the mistake of the registry. I have a stallion that has Standard in his name but in AMHA they spelled it Standrad. When I get his papers, and transfer him they say they will go back and make the correction.

We were at the Estes Park CO shows several years ago and there was a horse competiting that was named XXX XXX Buckin Around but when his name was announced over the loud speaker is sure did not sound like Buckin, it sounded like a very vulger name. Went to the person on the mike and ask that they pronounce the horse's name slowly and distinctly since the loud speaker could be heard all over the valley below and there were kids playing soccer that were over hearing it.

That was the only time I was embarrassed by a name.

I just saw a big stud listed with the name of "Gay Bar Drummer".
default_rolleyes.gif
I thought the name was pretty clever and funny!

I am supersitious when it comes to naming foals. I won't name foals if the name envokes thoughs of death, illness, or unworthyness.....though I've thought up several names that would be pretty neat if I didn't have this fear!
default_wacko.png
Some names I come up with just to torment show announcers....I have special one on reserve for Mark!
default_laugh.png

I dont think I would turn down my dream horse because of the name. I could call it what I want which is what is heard most of the time.

I do have to complain about some horse owners(especially biggees) that they name them -Dude, Buck,Pokey I just think IF I have a foal and get to choose the name it is gonna be a whole lot better than Dude, Buck, or pokey-Just my opinion! I know its their barn name but why not something cool ?

I understand if they come with a name like my Giddy (Git R Done) or Pal my rescue-we call him Pally, I left their names as they knew them and came to them, if they had been named something gross sounding , I would have changed their names..

I thought once the horse was registered the name could not be changed.
How are you paying to change the name?????
You cannot change the name of an AMHA horse.

You may, sometimes, change the name of an AMHR horse. In order to change an AMHR horse's name, all these conditions must be met:

• You must have written permission from the breeder
  • The horse must have no show record in the Registry
  • The horse must have no registered offspring
  • You must pay a $100 fee

Latest posts

Back