How Much Does The Horse's Registered Name Matter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I, too, cannot stand to see a misspelled word in a horse's registered name. I cannot stand to see a misspelled word anywhere, really. I wish spelling and grammar would make a comeback! I don't mind a play on words in a horse's registered name or using something like "Dun" for "Done" as Jill mentioned, that can be cute/neat. I have not seen a name that offended me yet, but I have seen a couple of names that I would not have requested from a registry because I could see the potential for them to offend others. I have seen a lot of names that were just stupid (in my opinion). I don't mind to hear silly "pet" names for horses when I am at someone else's farm or at a show, but please do at least "try" when you choose a registered name for a horse. Someone (someone else, besides you) may want to show that horse or breed that horse in the future and that's where and when a horse's registered name is important. Both of my Miniature Horse mares have stupid registered names. They could be much worse, but they are stupid to me and I would never have picked them. I don't use their registered names at the farm, but I will have to use them for showing and breeding. I know someone that has a Quarter Horse stallion named Ol Bucket Head. The horse's head is not ugly. Why on Earth would you name a horse, any horse, that? Especially a stallion that you want to market for stud? I wouldn't name an ugly-headed gelding that. I just don't get it.

Name wouldn't stop me if it was the right horse.

I have bought a horse with a terrible name, and just called her something else.

I forgot to say that I would not let a horse's registered name influence my potential purchase of it. When I look at a horse that is for sale that I am interesting in purchasing I always check the horse's paperwork to make sure that everything is in order and that the horse is, in fact, registered in the way that the seller says that it is, but I usually do not pay attention to the horse's registered name until after I have brought the horse home.

Wow I am a bit surprised at all those that would not purchase due to a name. Often times the misspelled words I would think are due to the name being spelled one way and taken? I just have never given it much thought. I always buy the horse not the papers be it pedigree or name.

If I really like the horse the name won't make a difference but it may make a difference on whether I show it or not. I have a horse here that I won't take out in the ring because I don't want to hear its registered name announced in connection to my farm.
default_wacko.png
I think names for horses can, just as it has been proven for human names, make or break a horse in the showring or breeding pen.

If I really like the horse the name won't make a difference but it may make a difference on whether I show it or not. I have a horse here that I won't take out in the ring because I don't want to hear its registered name announced in connection to my farm.
default_wacko.png
I think names for horses can, just as it has been proven for human names, make or break a horse in the showring or breeding pen.
I'm not sure I really get that, or maybe it's just that I don't agree. When it comes to successfully showing and breeding, it's a whole lot more than just a catchy name!
default_smile.png

However, I do always think "how will this name sound when a win is announced?" I love that kind of daydreaming
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I would show anyway, first off what you do not like someone else may love (obviously or this discussion would not even be happening
default_wink.png
)

Secondly the horses name is not even announced until AFTER he places or wins and I surely do not think the judges are paying attention or listening to the actual names of the horses to decide if they will place them again or not depending on the name.

That was pretty much my first reaction, too, Lisa.

I used to own a mare who I think had a really unattractive name. She was only AMHA when I bought her so when I hardshipped her into AMHR, I gave her what I felt was a better name... That mare had nothing in her pedigree to justify the name of "Silver Spotted Banana" -- that's just wrong!
default_rolleyes.gif

I've never had a name "make or break" my decision to buy but I did sell a tall black gelding to a college girl due to his rather boisterous name.
default_laugh.png
He was a nice colt but there are a lot of nice colts out there, what she freely admitted to being the "closer" was his name. I would imagine it stands to reason that the reverse could easily be true.

Boy, it looks like a lot of people would have turned down Buckeroo..... Great example to me of why a name is not important AT ALL.

Names matter a lot to me, but not everyone's taste is the same. I can respect that.

I would not buy a horse that had a really horrible name unless it was very, very good horse. Once we were in England and were going to buy a show dog. Unfortunately, they had named him Mammoud. It was just after 9-11, and we just didn't want to be campaigning a dog with that name at that time. We didn't buy him.

Some people spell names wrong on purpose - for emphasis.That can be very clever. On the other hand, spelling errors by ignorance are another thing.

Some horses have strange names. I know of a dressage horse named "Buck Naked." The announcer on the speaker calls out, "This is Jane Doe riding Buck Naked." Makes everyone laugh each time that happens.

Some names are so crazy, I wonder to myself, "What were they thinking!?"

I have a mare that I hate the name she came with so I just gave her a barn name
default_wub.png
I love the horse.

How about "BOOGERMAN"! Imagine a horse covered with snot....or worse yet, EATING snot!

I once owned an Appendix QH named Almars Barbicue Alex and Mary______, bred her, her sire was Three Bars, Dam: Honey B McQue. Best Jumper I ever owned! A point and shoot kinda gal. We called her "Sugar".

The name does not reflect back to the horse, it reflects back to the person doing the naming. So I would buy a horse with a name I hated, it is not the horses fault.

I have passed on horses with horrible names.

Or If I really really like the horse and it has not shown or produced babies I will ask the seller if we could change its name. If not and I really cant stand the name I will move on.

That being said I do have one mare whos name drives me CRAZZZZY!!! I hate it. They misspelled HONEY. LIKE COME ON.

Her registered name is Hoeny Lace Hayse. COME ON PEOPLE ITS HONEY!!!.

Misspelling drives me nuts.

And I have one horse a large paint mare whos name I just LOVE!. Gambling Bluegenes. I dont know why I love it but I do. Her sires name is Gambling Man.

My two babies from last year I had a heck of a time naming them. Specially the one I still have. And other times the names just come.

I once passed on buying a horse named..... Ruby Red Slippers (ala The Wizard of Oz). It was a black pinto with white socks !!
default_no.gif

I had a hard time calling a black horse "Ruby".

We spend a significant amount of time naming a horse and writing down list of favorite names, or names for a certain stallion or mare's foals.

We try and come up with a good call name as part of the registered name.

It can be hard to buy an older horse that response to their bad name. I do not think it is fair to change a name at that point.

Tom and Lorraine have/had a stallion named "Inch High Pane In the Glass"
default_rolleyes.gif
In the barn he went by "CreamPuff" Poor guy can't get a break!

Didn't seem to hinder him from being one heck of a horse.
default_wub.png

Names really don't bother me. I just kind of giggle at the ones I think are silly/bad/awful.

Well, I take that back. There are a couple of the Lazy N names from way back in the day that are just downright offensive.
default_new_shocked.gif
I just couldn't buy a horse with some of those names.

I purchased a stallion (AMHA) that I wanted to register in AMHR. I was going to name him "BOOM", just thought it would sound great when he was announced at a show. A beautiful dapple grey sabino with a huge white face and blue eyes (Egyptian King son). Well before I could register him, "BOOM" put me in the hospital. Should have named him "Marshmellow".

Tina Ferro

Crabtree Farm

Most of the time I don't even know the horse's reg. name until their paper's are in my hand.
default_laugh.png
Just call it by its barn name and then buy the horse for other various reasons.

I would buy a horse if it had a super cool name that would sound awesome being announced in the show ring (and had the conformation to go with it).

Latest posts

Back