How many stalions do you have?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many stallions do you have?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Over 10

• Total voters
I have two working Stallions- Rabbit 26 years and Cody 5 years. I also have Leo who is coming three and Magic (who is not actually mine
smile.gif
) who is coming two. Rabbit has to live on his own as he has never been good with others, but he is next door to two senior ladies. He STILL paces up and down though
yes.gif
Cody, Leo and Magic are all out together. No-one is stalled at all at this time of year. All the entires have good warm run ins and I can tell my the mucking out I have to do that they use them
smile.gif

Hi,

my farm is home to three stallions: A F Ivy Toro is my senior herdsire. He is a 30.5" small, rich bay tobiano and a multiple US National Top Ten stallion. Then, I have two junior stallions ... one is bay overo son of Champion Farms Nighthawk and the other one is a black leopard appaloosa.
smile.gif
Both of the juniors are coming three. They can all be seen on my website.

saludando.gif
Conny

For the time being, I'm keeping my two "stallions" really far apart. DunIT lives with me in VA and is "just" a coming yearling. Destiny lives with Erica in AR and is a coming 2yo.

laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

When the time comes for Destiny to live in VA, I do not plan to keep him and DunIT together and not sure yet if they will share a fence. Our fences are cattle panels with oak posts every 8'. I'm hopeful that DunIT can live long term with a couple geldings, and same for Destiny, so that they may have companionship and playmates.

Since- I could not keep my 2 stallions together...
wink.gif
I have just one now, and I must add he is the one with the sweetest personality.
yes.gif

We have 2 mature stallions,one is up for sale since our breeding program is going toward aspc/amhr and he is amha/amhr. One coming 2 year old that is with the trainer and 3 weanling colts which 3 are up for sale and if not sold 2 will be gelded. Maybe 3., but he would make a super stud and might be able to be triple registed at 5 years of age to amha.

I have one stallion, he is always by himself outside , but his mares have an ajoining paddock. Thats all he wants, is to at least see his mares. He could care a less about the others. At night , they all come in to their stalls, the geldings are at the other end of the barn. Everyone's happy
biggrin.gif

I have had miniatures for 19 years, and I only owned a breeding stallion for 2 years--he stayed in Iowa when we moved last summer. His new owner is a veterinarian who runs a breeding station, so all I have to do is give a holler and she'll drop ship some "swimmers". I owned Sonny for 2 years and have one live colt from him. I'll probably go back to using outside stallions.

I currently hve 2 weanling colts who will be gelded sometime. Soon. As soon as I get around to it.
biggrin.gif
(you know the saying about the cobbler's kids and their shoes...)

We had three stallions, and gelded one, for his failure to play nice with others. The two we have, have been together since birth, (one born in April and one born in July), and they are herd bound, and can't be seperated. THey both refuse to eat when they are seperated, and even pitch a fit, if a fence is between them and they can touch noses. I'm not certain what's going to happen when in two years we decide to breed one of them to our new mare! (We're getting her already bred... thanks Mark and Linda), so it's going to be awhile until we're even trying to seperate the boys.

I do believe, if they won't get along... time to call the vet and geld... Lol..

The boys are all in our pasture!
wink.gif
We only have 3 breeding stallions, but we have 24 geldings.

I have 1 stallion I use for breeding only, 1 for showing, and 2 colts from this year! So in all we have four
wacko.gif
. I keep the stallion uses for breeding in a pasture that is connected to the barn so he can come in with a couple of goats. My show stallion has a wonderful disposition so he is able to stay with my gelding. The two colts are in a paddock together with a one stall barn!

We have 5 stallions which only one is going to be 2 this spring, the others are mature being used and we rotate showing certain stallions each year. This past season we had shown Angus and Lordy, this coming year will be Blue Eyes and Lordy. The rest of the stallions will be busy keeping the ladies company here instead.

Jack is a 6 yr old sorrel homozygous pinto which his sire is imported from England, Quigley is a dapple gray homozygous pinto, Angus is a 3 yr old black pinto that is homozygous, Lordy is coming 3 yr. old blue eyed medicine hat stallion that is homozygous and our coming 2 yr. old is Blue Eyes, a blue eyed buckskin leopard appy with Buckeroo background.

I love the variety of stallions that we have accumulated over the years and I finally found the leopard that I was watching for having the blue eyes, nice head, atitude and conformation as well.

There was no option for me on your poll:

Zero.

I have one gelding and five mares, two of which are weanlings and one of which is very old and retired.

SO, despite the fact that I loved my stallion very much and had a lot of interest in him, I opted to lease/sell him.

I figure with two producing mares I can likely find a couple outside stallions to breed to until I can get my housing situation better suited to have a stallion, in addition to the gelding I have as well.

I couldn't turn them all out together, and right now, that option made the horse keeping very intensive and annoying. Our fences were not suitable to keep everyone separated, and we didn't have any paddock areas.

I am hoping when my little ones get bigger (sons) and we have fixed our fencing, that I can maybe get another stallion, or maybe by then I will have bred my "dream" guy.

Either way, my colts are unconditionally gelded UNLESS they are EXTREMELY NICE and the buyer is willing to pay at least two to three times more for the colt than they would if he were gelded. HE'd better be that nice, better than dad AND mom, or he's going to visit Dr. Hunter before he leaves, or there will be rare cases where I will allow the buyer to geld on contract.

So far, so good.

I just can't see selling colts for $1000 or less when it costs so much to keep the mare, for the breeding, the feed, the vet, the shots, etc. and then there is the fact that if you paid a lot for the stallion (he should have been worth it, too), why sell his offspring for a dime a dozen? Pretty soon you will be pricing him out of a job. Who would want the real thing when they could have his son for a quarter the price?

Granted, his son should be as good or better than him, but then again, isn't that what we're doing by trying to better our breed and be selective in the first place?

Not all boys should be breeding (mares, either, but at least they are limited to one per year, I guess. Wish we could spay 'em easily!), and there are so many wonderful stallions out there.

I'm kind of excited to see the options I have now that I will be breeding out.

Of course, I am very excited that Crabby Chicken has offered us at least one breeding to Mr. Falcon (Lark's sire) and we think we'll be using it for Mouse's dam for an '07 foal.

He's worth the wait!

Liz M.

biggrin.gif

One stallion. One is all I need with an ego like his! Don't get me wrong, he's a

gentleman, but he KNOWS he's good. He is stabled at night in the barn with 2

geldings and his favorite mare. During the day he has his own private turnout

complete with run-in shed but he is well away from the other horses. His stallin the

barn is high enough he can't jump over. However, he couldn't see Becky so he

chewed a perfect hole in his door just big enough so he can make sure she's there.

Linda B
wink.gif

We have two, both leopard apps, one with blue eyes. They are both very sweet in temperment & both do very well with their own herds of mares. Our fencing is arranged so they never even see each other, except a small area that's separated by about 30 feet of ground and a big tree.

This year, we were lucky in that all of our foals, except one, were fillies!!! That one little boy was sold to wonderful new owners who intend to geld him. We've somehow produced very few boys in the last few years.

Our signature below tells about our boys. That's Merlin in our avatar.
wub.gif

Each of our mature breeding stallions has his own pasture and mare band..the colts we keep are in a happy little bachelor band witha sweet older stallion that watches over them. He loves that job and will be here until death do us part. Our colts sell as future herdsire propects, performance prospects and some to homes that are for companions to their other minis. For many years we've had inquiries from people just getting started that want a colt to geld for their young children to handle horses their size..and if they don't sell I am always HAPPY to keep any boys,
biggrin.gif
I love seeing how they mature..a good test to see if your breeding program is working..how do they look at 1 yr old or 2? ..they get trained to drive at 2ish if they are still around..a gelding with a job and some talent is very marketable!

I have two stallions and a gelding. Right now they all live together, don't know how long that will last. The gelding is 6, the black pinto homozygous stallion is 3 and the blue eyed sorrel tovero is 2.

I really don't need two stallions as I only have 7 mares, but I couldn't resist a 27" Boogerman son.

We have 4 senior stallions. (1 is for sale) and 4 coming yearlings. 2 of which we recently purchased. Of the other 2 yearlings, one of those will be gelded in the spring.

2 of the senior stallions have their own seperate pastures and mares.

Our 24 year old stallion is kept in a smaller pasture with 1 or 2 mares. except in the winter, he gets stalled at night and turnout in the days along with a 3 year old stud and the yearling colts.

miniapp said:
Hopefully most of them go on to be SUPER geldings!!!  LOL!  :Good topic!
Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

511980[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
cheers.gif
thumbup.gif
worshippy.gif
Thank you, Suzy!!!

We have one stallion, although he's just coming two years old. We also have two geldings. We have bought several mature stallions with the express purpose of gelding them to use in another capacity. We also gelded a mature stallion that didn't produce to our expectations, rather than passing him on to someone else's breeding program.

Male horses can do so much more than breed!!

i have 1 stallion only and i adore him. my sister has 1 also so that helps so we can use eachother's. jennifer
saludando.gif

edited to add: all our stallions and geldings are together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back