How long to wean?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt' see that anyone was judging at all, just giving their opinion. That's what this forum is for, right?

Please don't think that anyone wants to hang you from the highest tree, you asked for opinions and we gave them. Really mares milk peaks at the time the foal turns two months old and goes down from there in nutrients and antibodies, so to wean at 3 or 4 months is not that unusal. I myself try to wean at six months, but one year because of our show oblications I did wean at four months. My vet has informed that I can't give vaccinations until the foals are four months old. In the past I used to vaccinate at three months, but she explained that it was null to vaccinate that early. So it is just my opinion that any time after the foal has received their two vaccinations is up to the owner. You want your foal to be protected from flu as weaning can cause stress and respiratory flu to set in. Take it or leave it, just my 2 cents worth. Whatever you decide is certainly up to you.

Have not read all the posts, but my personal opinion is that is way too young to wean and dont know why the foal would not be allowed in pasture with the stallion with it's mother. They all learn social skills this way and those hours that foal is away it is missing out on the nutrition that it should be getting from it's mother which is vital for good physical development and health. Not to mention the security at that age- it causes undo stress on the foal and the mare. I dont know why some folks treat Miniature horses like puppies or kittens and think that a few weeks old is ok to wean.

A study done a while back showed with big horses, that weaning too early caused social skill issues (such as agression) and issues later such as cribbing, weaving and other problems. Even when foals have others their own age to play with, they learn their social skills from their dam and the older horses.

If the stallion has the temperment that a foal cannot be left with it's dam for pasture breeding, I would have second thoughts about breeding for that temperment. If not enough room is a problem, then I would be hand breeding the mare and leave the foal with her, as nature intended.

People..... see my 'happy face?"
default_smile.png
default_biggrin.png
I take criticism well so I don't tend to get too upset about anything, especially good advice.

Now... don't want to open another can of worms... but my vet vaccinated the foal at six weeks old for just about everything... sleeping sickness, west nile, etc (think it was a 6 or 7 way shot). all except rabies which she can't have until she is 4 months old. Was wondering if that wasn't a little too early??? Evidently didn't hurt her.....

If your mare was vaccinated there is no point. The foal was/is getting antibodies from her. Hopefully Dr. Taylor is reading and can give a more educated opinion. I vaccinate my mare/mares 4-6 weeks prior to foaling for that reason and then don't vaccinate the foal until weaning (4-6 months). There is no point. The foal(s) don't get any "shots" until that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well once again I've found another reason to find a different vet. I got the mare two months before she was due... when I told my vet she was due for shots he didn't want to give them because it could cause problems with the unborn foal. He suggested we wait until the foal was six weeks old and vaccinate both of them at that time. This is the same vet who told me that mini's don't have any more problems with foaling than big horses and that I was worrying unnecessarily. Well, she had a dystocia where the foals leg was somewhat further back than it should be, and thank goodness I did my homework and knew what to do. Got the little leg in place and everything went fine then. He also argued with me about twitching when we gave the shots...said he never twitches a horse. Had to call him back on the maiden mare two days later because of swelling on the neck, she was so sore. She fought so hard when he gave the shots.... When he came back to give anitbiotic and cortizone shot, I lit into him and that time we did twitch and everything went well. Previous owners told me that they always twitched which was why I told him it needed to be done. So.... when do I need to get the second set of vaccinations?

If your mare was vaccinated there is no point. The foal was/is getting antibodies from her. Hopefully Dr. Taylor is reading and can give a more educated opinion. I vaccinate my mare/mares 6-8 weeks prior to foaling for that reason and then don't vaccinate the foal until weaning (4-6 months). There is no point. The foal(s) don't get any "shots" until that time.

default_unsure.png
A booster is required after 4 weeks from the initial vaccination. (I only give a 4 or maybe 5-way to my horses). Obviously wouldn't give a WNV or rabies as a prefoaling vaccination. But give the EEE, WEE, tetanus, and flu 4-6 weeks prior to foaling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back