How long to quarantine?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
I went crazy and bought 2 bred mares and a yearling filly. I have two barns 45 minutes away from each other but its becoming a PAIN in the butt, taking care of both barns twice a day, changing clothes, and boots and showering........

These horses are healthy looking, no snot or coughs. The filly does have eye goo occasionally.

Should I give them a 4 in 1 booster, worm them and bring them home? They have been in quarantine for 2 weeks this Saturday?

Its been awhile since I've brought a horse home, but I think the normal quaranteen is about two weeks, minimum.

Can you bring them to the one barn, but keep them from touching noses with the resident herd? If so, do that, after at least deworming them a day or two before the move, so they can shed most of the worms they might have before the move. I wouldn't vaccinate right before moving them, as moving can cause stress and the combination (stress and vaccinating) isn't recommended. While you probably no longer need to change clothes and shower between the two groups, for peace of mind, perhaps just some of the anti-bacterial hand gel between the group for a little longer.

And, sometimes despite our best efforts, someone gets sick anyway. Don't forget to share pics of who you brought home. And, congratulations.

30 days is ideal. I know it's a pain... but if you can go longer it may be totally worth it in the long run.

I don't think showering and changing clothes is totally necessary... but do use a boot dip (one part bleach to 10 parts water) to prevent spread.

Congrats on your new ponies!

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back