How long can I hobble my stud?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniDonkey

Reaction score
Our stud was always a sweat little guy, but he started biting and chasing the rest so we had to separate him. My father-in-law put him in with his horse but just sold that horse so we need to get him home. There's no way to separate the pasture until late Spring or so, no shelter either. Here's my question.....can I hobble him? If so, for how long? Also, I was looking at the muzzles that allow them to still graze, does that mean he can eat hay also? I think that will take care of the biting.

Thanks for your help.

Is this a stallion or a jack your talking about? If it is a jack, biting and chasing is common behavior in them. I would NEVER EVER hobble any of my stallions or jacks, to much can happen.
default_no.gif
You can buy grazing muzzles. Is it possible to board this stud until you can get a pasture and shelter up? It sure dont sound like you have to many options. Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
I can never imagine Hobbling (sp?)
default_smile.png
a Donk ... though sometimes I have thought of it
default_yes.gif

I'll tell you what we did to our Frisky Jack/Stallion ....

we tied him to a tire ... the tire... slowed him down and gave him an attitude adjustment
default_yes.gif

He was [SIZE=12pt]never[/SIZE] left unattended ...it brought relief to the Jenny's & calmed him down
default_rolleyes.gif

Don't worry ....he is still a Sweet Guy
default_yes.gif

he is just going through a hormonal thing
default_rolleyes.gif
default_no.gif
default_biggrin.png

*Grazing Muzzle would be best if you can't watch him all the time ...but still not the answer?

Have you thought about loping his Jewels off??

Latest posts

Back