how is it and who decides what classes are offered at each show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanny

Reaction score
As far as I know no showbills have gone out yet for any upcoming shows, but we are in the process of deciding what shows to attend this year and which ones to skip. I'm wondering who decides what classes to offer at the shows and if they are open to suggestions or requests from exhibitors or not. Is it the show committee from the club hosting the show that decides the classes?

Last year several of the shows we attended didn't offer many of the classes we were interested in competing in and eventually competed in at Nationals. Primarily peformance and driving classes. There always seem to be a ton of halter classes at every show and then when they get to the performance and driving classes so much less is offered than what could be, and those are the classes we enjoy most. I also would like to see more youth performance and driving classes and not have youth (especially 8 and 10 year olds) having to compete in open classes against adults. This year we are going to be pickier about what shows we chose to attend and spend our money on. When we are taking six horses and we are spending hundreds of dollars in show fees each time, I want it to be well worth the time and money.

We've decided this year we would rather pick and choose and travel much further to shows that offer everything we want rather than stay closer to home and attend shows that do not.

[SIZE=12pt]I'm like you, performance is my thing too. Usually some shows offer the same type of classes they had last year. The club itself usually decides what type of show they want to put on. So ask the club if they are going to make any additions to their classes. [/SIZE]

The 2 shows that I know I'll defintelly will be going to is the Claremore, OK shows. They offer alot of variety of classes especially in the performance division. They also offer alot of stuff for the youth. I know one person that likes that :bgrin .

There are tons of shows I could go to but I'm defintelly going to be choosy this year.
default_yes.gif
:

Sorry had to try out the new font lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first I do hope you still plan to attend the Elmo Shows.

Second, there is a standered of what class must be offered put out by AMHR. Beyond that it is up to the show committee. Most are always willing to hear suggestions.

HOwever, I do know we are lacking some class you want. HOwever the classes need to pay for themselves. If they do not, we normally do not offer them. We dont have enough little youth up here to do a break down(and sorry but I have watched your kids show. They stand just as good of a chance if not better then alot of the youth and adults in preformance).

Take the Lake Elmo shows, if they are lucky they break even. We cant keep adding classes that cost more money, when we dont have the money comeing from them to cover them.

I do beleive we still have obstical in there, which I know my aunt wants to throw out. I am hopeing to get my gelding in obstical hall of fame this year(he only needs a few points). Then I will take over doing the patterns if that is what it takes to keep it going.

I do hope you plan on attending the show you were willing to help put on, if not then you need to let that be known, as it probably wont be put on if you dont.

HI Ashley...IMHC shows (especially Lake Elmo) are some of our favorites, we will be there, they are not the issue - there are plenty of classes that we like - we like all the other people that usually show there - and we like everyone that puts all the time and effort into putting the show together. I'll be watching you do obstacle, we show in a lot of classes, but that won't be one of them. It is the only one Phantom hates. We've done it and he trashes almost every obstacle on purpose.

OH...and you are in charge of reminding me (over and over) about the next club meeting.

I'll PM you.

Oh good................because I couldnt stand not haveing Sam there to show me and everybody else up in jumping
default_yes.gif
:

I really think Rumor would do well in obstical. AS for my guy............hopefully he wont be to fat to fit in them. Right now he is a bit to fat for his harness and cart, but thats ok cause he needs some teeth work done anyway.

If a person wants a particular class that is not currently offered on our showbill our club offers for that person to sponsor the class for usually $10 and get it in the showbill. If we get a good turnout in the class we may add it to the list for future years.

Our club, the Western Michigan Miniature Horse Club, works hard to add lots of youth classes to our shows, including separate youth jumping, hunter, obstacle, driving, leadline and costume as well as special non-rated peewee classes for the 7 and under age group in which an adult gets to go into the ring with the child and give them verbal directions as necessary. I've noticed the more youth classes you add, the more people you get to fill the classes!

Putting on a show is usually a matter of finances for the club putting it together. Smaller clubs can't finance classes that don't pay for themselves. Time factors into many decisions; how many classes you can run and how many days to run them over is usually the deciding factor. Bigger clubs with better finances have more to offer for the serious competitor running for points. I will attend smaller shows if they have something that appeals to me. That is what the smaller clubs need to look at offering to make it attractive to have repeat entrants with word of mouth advertising.

It is expensive to show horses and you have to decide what your goal is and which shows will help you attain those goals. The better you do with showing your horses the bigger and better shows will be where you focus your attention. The natural progression is fun showing and learning the ropes then moving on to shows with high attendance and better competition. Small clubs can't compete with these bigger shows.

If there is enough interest in classes not offered then many clubs will offer them to see if it will work for them or not. Let clubs know what you are interested in now so they have time to discuss them at the meetings to see if it is feasible for them. What many people don't realize is that you need to have a marketing strategy for your shows it make it worth spending limited show finances to attend their shows. There are many things small clubs can do to make the shows fun and rewarding for participants that cost little or no money. These are the areas to improve on and as people start attending for these reasons then more can be offered. The bigger clubs started out as small clubs with limited finances but found the key to better financial rewards.

[SIZE=18pt]There are certain required classes for each A B or C rated shows.... if there a re classes not offered by your club just let them know that there are a few people interested in that class. They usually wont add unless there are at least 3 people wanting to enter....also once the show bills are announced and approved by amhr anyway..... no changes other than combining classes for lack of entries is allowed.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Ashley,

Speaking of Lake Elmo Show's, do you have dates for these yet? We are hoping to come down for at least 1 of them this year.

Since there are a bunch of MN/WI folks in this thread - the Midwest Classic Shetland Breeders' Association has added mini classes back to their showbill. Their show will be held May 27-28 at the Cattle Congress grounds in Waterloo, Iowa. Show manager is Tracy Slagle - [email protected] if you have any specific class requests. :bgrin

Too bad you are so far away....I was just at a meeting of the NW Arkansas club, and one of the members is talking about putting on a performance ONLY show (which is sanctioned) with multiple judges and around 55 classes!! That would be just perfect for your family!! And perfect for those performance horses because they aren't standing around getting stale during those long halter classes.

Latest posts

Back